Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2023, 09:59   #106
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: My harrowing experience trying to buy a used car from the biggest online dealers in Kolkata

Your experience is is honestly not surprising. My thread here highlights these issues too.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nsparency.html (Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency)

I recently checked out a Rapid Diesel AT with cars24. It was one of their all checkpoint confirmed cars. There was rusting on the A pillar upto the roof. I pointed it out to the SA and he said he will get back to me. No call from the Pune office since then, the typical cars24 customer keeps calling me. I happened to meet an ex-employee of cars24 and olx post this incident. We had a good laugh about the certification process and then he told me the reason why left these aggregators even when the salary was good. He was given a new city to establish business in. Apart from him and one valuator, the new staff hired was from OYO rooms. That speaks a lot about the quality with these aggregators.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 13:33   #107
BHPian

Re: My harrowing experience trying to buy a used car from the biggest online dealers in Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Your experience is is honestly not surprising. My thread here highlights these issues too.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nsparency.html (Online used car aggregators and their illusion of transparency)

I recently checked out a Rapid Diesel AT with cars24. It was one of their all checkpoint confirmed cars. There was rusting on the A pillar upto the roof. I pointed it out to the SA and he said he will get back to me. No call from the Pune office since then, the typical cars24 customer keeps calling me. I happened to meet an ex-employee of cars24 and olx post this incident. We had a good laugh about the certification process and then he told me the reason why left these aggregators even when the salary was good. He was given a new city to establish business in. Apart from him and one valuator, the new staff hired was from OYO rooms. That speaks a lot about the quality with these aggregators.
Even in my case, the associate assured me that they never pick accidental cars nor cars which have corrosion. The one I checked out seemed to have minor accidents which are unavoidable but the repair work was done very poorly. Next, I wouldn't be surprised if any car turns out to have undergone major accidents but according to them it isn't. Because they are the most trusted and reputed in India (according to them), and you should take their words without any doubt.

Furthermore, I enquired about their own buying prices with some people who sold their cars to them and compared the listing prices. It is a kind of a shocking revelation to me as we are in a used car bull market where dealers mark up prices by even 40-50% nowadays. After computing the tax they paid (cars in consideration were tax failed for years), parking, and RTO costs (they pay on behalf of buyer), I strongly suspect they sell some of their budget cars at a loss. Believe it or not. I have quite a bit of data to back up my guess

I worked with startups. As a matter of fact, I know how they chase faster growth even at expense of venture capital funds. For instance they would spend $100,000 on marketing to get $1,000,000 in revenue with a net $40,000 loss because the sales and revenue is what matters to their VC friends. Then they would use the same inflated figures to get more rounds of funding and the cycle goes on I'm shocked how Spinny pays so high prices even while buying poor condition cars and discontinued models. So I feel sometimes they won't bother checking cars thoroughly before investing their funds. It isn't their own money after all if you compare it to traditional dealers investing their own funds. The QA/QC processes seem very lacklustre with glaring issues going unnoticed.

Anyways, sorry for going off-topic. That being said, I'm done with used car aggregation startups. All the best to anyone exploring them - it requires thorough due diligence. Their warranty and words on paper are in stark contrast to the actual reality. In my personal opinion, it isn't worth the inflated price they demand.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 1st September 2023 at 13:59.
wheelspinner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 11:43   #108
BHPian

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

Saying Goodbye to My Trusty S Cross After 6 Years

After 6 long years and 6 months of wonderful journeys spanning 1,17,000 kilometres, the time has come to bid farewell to my beloved S Cross. It's not easy to let go of a car that has been a loyal companion for so long. It feels like I'm leaving a piece of my heart behind with the car. We've shared countless memories, from road trips to daily commutes, and it's hard to part ways.

I decided to sell my S Cross to Spinny for a fair price of 6,15,000 rupees. The selling process itself, excluding the initial evaluation, was surprisingly quick and hassle-free. It took only about 30 minutes from start to finish. After signing all the necessary documents, the agreed-upon amount was instantly credited to my bank account. It couldn't have been smoother. I hope the name transfer will be as smooth and straightforward as the selling experience

I'm filled with mixed emotions, but I'm also excited for the next chapter in my automotive journey. I hope that whoever the next owner would be, they will enjoy the same trouble-free experience with the car that I've had over the years.

We have booked Seltos GTX Plus Diesel AT in Pewter Olive colour. I'm planning to bring this new addition during the upcoming festive season. In the meantime, I'll be using my dad's Rapid 1.0 as my ride.

So, as one chapter closes, another one begins. While I'll always cherish the memories I've made with my S Cross, I'm excited about the adventures that await with my new Seltos.

Here's to the road ahead!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-whatsapp-image-20230907-12.14.54.jpeg  

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-whatsapp-image-20230907-12.14.55-1.jpeg  

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-whatsapp-image-20230907-12.14.55-2.jpeg  

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-whatsapp-image-20230907-12.14.55.jpeg  

bharathdonti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:33   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My experience with Spinny was excellent too - but I was the seller. Sold my 2011 A-star AT with 45,000 kms on the clock for around Rs. 2.3L. A friend of mine sold his old i20 via Spinny too.
Thanks for the update on this. How is the RC transfer handled by Spinny? Did they given you any insurance policy, timeline for RC transfer etc.? Given the fact that RC transfer onus is on the seller according to the courts.
Old 11th September 2023, 12:42   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Thanks for the update on this. How is the RC transfer handled by Spinny? Did they given you any insurance policy, timeline for RC transfer etc.? Given the fact that RC transfer onus is on the seller according to the courts.
After a few months, I received an SMS that RC transfer has happened to the new buyer. But I did not bother to double check that though.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 13:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathdonti View Post

I decided to sell my S Cross to Spinny for a fair price of 6,15,000 rupees. The selling process itself, excluding the initial evaluation, was surprisingly quick and hassle-free. It took only about 30 minutes from start to finish. After signing all the necessary documents, the agreed-upon amount was instantly credited to my bank account. It couldn't have been smoother. I hope the name transfer will be as smooth and straightforward as the selling experience

We have booked Seltos GTX Plus Diesel AT in Pewter Olive colour. I'm planning to bring this new addition during the upcoming festive season.
I'm in the same boat as you having booked Seltos GTX+ and looking to sell my i20 before that. I'm worried about the time it takes to get the RC transferred since I need to get my 50% NCB transferred from my old insurance before I get my Seltos.

Has Spinny mentioned anything about how long it takes for the documents to be transferred?
Old 11th September 2023, 17:26   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
I'm in the same boat as you having booked Seltos GTX+ and looking to sell my i20 before that. I'm worried about the time it takes to get the RC transferred since I need to get my 50% NCB transferred from my old insurance before I get my Seltos.

Has Spinny mentioned anything about how long it takes for the documents to be transferred?
They don't have any time frame fixed for it. The name transfer will happen only when they find a buyer for the car. Until then the car is in our name!
Old 14th September 2023, 16:40   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Saying Goodbye to My Trusty S Cross After 6 Years

After 6 long years and 6 months of wonderful journeys spanning 1,17,000 kilometres, the time has come to bid farewell to my beloved S Cross. It's not easy to let go of a car that has been a loyal companion for so long. It feels like I'm leaving a piece of my heart behind with the car. We've shared countless memories, from road trips to daily commutes, and it's hard to part ways.
My car is now listed on Spinny for ₹ 7.2lacs. That's a margin of ₹1lac. I'm hoping the car is sold and the name transfer is done before I get my new car
Attached Thumbnails
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-screenshot-20230914-16.37.36.png  

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2023 at 16:43. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
bharathdonti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 18:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is now listed on Spinny for ₹ 7.2lacs. That's a margin of ₹1lac.
Keeping margin is their business model but good to see that they don't temper with the odometer like most others.

70-80k on odo for a 2017 model would sound believable to most buyers.
Old 21st November 2023, 17:24   #115
BHPian

Now as we are approaching the end of 2023, are there alternatives to Spinny and Cars24 ?
bdutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 21:38   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Now as we are approaching the end of 2023, are there alternatives to Spinny and Cars24 ?
Not at all. In fact, OLX Cars has shutdown. So it's a two-horse race.
Sufficient_shop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 00:53   #117
BHPian

I sold my 2017 Creta to Spinny for 8.90 lakhs and it got listed at 9.70 lakhs. Don't think that's a lot of margin because they probably got some work done, got comprehensive photography done, shifted the car from Noida to Chandigarh, and kept it at their showroom for almost 2 months.

Got a call from a buyer (he copied my number from the insurance cover note) who mentioned he had put down a deposit but the car remained listed for a month post that. After reading through this thread, I checked again and the car is not listed anymore and the account page says RC transfer initiated. Hope it gets transferred soon.

In terms of the experience, it was bittersweet. While they made a good offer, they also came up with several ways to deduct the price. Like last-minute requests for a local address proof, deducting online challans despite sharing payment proof, etc. Had to threaten to back out of the deal at the last moment to get them to fall in line.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 10:59   #118
BHPian

I was recently looking out for a used car and went to both Spinny & Cars24. Eventually, I ended up buying a new car instead.

My Experience:

Spinny definitely had a better experience, a professional sales team, clean and brand-new warehouses, and much cleaner and better-looking cars.

As mentioned in this thread multiple times, the Spinny team didn't provide any discount on the listed prices. Honestly, I think it's fair as they are providing a better quality service and experience for the premium.

I eventually shortlisted a 2021 Ignis Zeta AMT model.
  • The car had done ~14k km and was in good condition.
  • There were a few panes that were repainted (the Spinny rep told me that any panels where they find scratches or minor issues are repainted by Spinny)
  • The steering was a bit on the heavier side while driving and the Spinny team said that they would rectify this before the delivery
  • Red Flag: Despite being a 2-year-old car, the car didn't have any insurance
    • Spinny would do new comprehensive insurance before delivery
    • If we wanted zero-dep, we would need to pay an additional amount
    • I was not able to digest the fact that 2-year-old car didn't have valid insurance
    • Spinny refused to share an old insurance copy with us
Eventually, we decided to avoid the car as there was no trusted way to ascertain the history of such a car and why it was already on the market for resale. For the premium price Spinny is quoting, I expected them to be more transparent.

A few other cars on Spinny had the same issue and finally, we decided to go for a new car for peace of mind.

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-screenshot-20231122-10.52.438239am.png

P.S. The car is still available on the Spinny website
arpirocks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 11:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpirocks View Post

I eventually shortlisted a 2021 Ignis Zeta AMT model.
  • The car had done ~14k km and was in good condition.
  • There were a few panes that were repainted (the Spinny rep told me that any panels where they find scratches or minor issues are repainted by Spinny)
  • The steering was a bit on the heavier side while driving and the Spinny team said that they would rectify this before the delivery
  • Red Flag: Despite being a 2-year-old car, the car didn't have any insurance
    • Spinny would do new comprehensive insurance before delivery
    • If we wanted zero-dep, we would need to pay an additional amount
    • I was not able to digest the fact that 2-year-old car didn't have valid insurance
    • Spinny refused to share an old insurance copy with us
Eventually, we decided to avoid the car as there was no trusted way to ascertain the history of such a car and why it was already on the market for resale. For the premium price Spinny is quoting, I expected them to be more transparent.

P.S. The car is still available on the Spinny website
Thanks a lot for this info. I had shortlisted the very same car and was planning to take a test drive on the weekend. Will keep in mind about this insurance stuff in my future search.
Knightrider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 10:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

I had a recent experience (one-two weeks before Diwali) with Spinny, started off good but took a sudden U-turn
Thankfully all this happened in the test drive stage itself.

I had shortlisted 3 vehicles based on photos, conditions, mileage etc.

I was looking to avail home test drive and what I realized is that one cannot book more than one test drives at once. So, I though let me finish one test drive and then take up second and third consecutively.

First test drive finished (Saturday), the guy was very patient and himself showed all the defects etc. present on the car, educated about loan facility, entire process of buying, transferring etc.

Was quite pleased with experience, so clicked for booking second test drive (scheduled for Sunday). I got a call convincing me to visit their hub instead since I will have an option to view lot many vehicles, I declined because all the vehicles that I wanted to examine were spread all across the city and not confined to one location.

I was awaiting the second (Sunday), but no one turned up. Called up the folks, they said they are on the way and will take approximately 1 hour. Even after an hour, upon no one turning up, I called the person bringing the car - he nonchalantly says that he has now been instructed to NOT go for the home test drive!

When I called up Spinny's main telephone, the guy said that the said vehicle is not able to be sent for home test drive since it has been booked! (but no such information on the website). I asked about the 3rd vehicle - same response cannot be sent since it has been booked! I got fed because they were not upfront in saying that they cannot afford to send the vehicle for home test drive because of cost associated, time spent, and opportunity lost (one can show the same vehicle to multiple customers at the hub, especially on Sunday)

As of today (almost a month), all three cars are still visible on the website, not even booked, and with further discounts compared to earlier date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks