Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: I bought a used car from Spinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Actually, this is one thing I forgot to ask. But after a couple of months, I looked up VAAHAN to see if ownership was transferred. I did NOT get any email/SMS notification from Spinny.
This is scary. Spinny may be diligent in tranferring the car, but some random third party reseller could be one of those shady untrustworthy ones, or at best just not cfare about getting the ownership transferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
I got a SMS after 4 months stating the vehicle transfer is completed.
PS : I was a seller twice.
Er... the case we are talking about is not Spinny selling the car to an individual, but Spinny selling the car to some other used-car dealer. So, was your car a similar case and then did the third-party reseller transfer the RC?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 14:46   #17
BHPian

I bought a 2015 Honda Brio AT (15K Kms done) from Spinny. I booked a test drive online. I got a confirmation call with all the details about the car. The sales rep got the car home for a TD and presented the complete service history of the car including denting and painting history. I bought the car within a hour, my fasted buy ever. They are very professional. I wish and hope they maintain these service standards. There is a need for such professional used car dealers in India.
Bsreecharan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 17:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Er... the case we are talking about is not Spinny selling the car to an individual, but Spinny selling the car to some other used-car dealer. So, was your car a similar case and then did the third-party reseller transfer the RC?

Cheers
As far as I know both cars were sold to individuals, directly by Spinny.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 17:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have heard a couple more happy stories. Trust & Professionalism are 2 key attributes to this business and Spinny has ample of them. The unorganized market needs some credible players. I see a very big future for them over the next decade!
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:01   #20
BHPian

I sold my Celerio (Dec 2015 Model) via Spinny which had done 75K Kms on the ODO. They quoted 3.35L post inspection. Once confirmed, another person came to check some more details. Both took about an hour and money was transferred in 30 minutes once their part of checking was completed.

For the same car, Pratham associated True Value quoted Rs2.5L and Bimal associated True Value quoted Rs 3.25L. Cars24 could quote only Rs2.6 to 2.7L. All this for the Bangalore location.

My experience with them was positive overall.
sunsivj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:40   #21
BHPian

My Suggestion to @GTO & Team-BHP Support Moderators

In this thread itself, I saw few experiences as a 'Seller' also from members like SmartCat, satyakidas, Meph1st0, SeshSrini, sunsivj etc.

One may think from the current title "Review: I bought a used car from Spinny" that this thread is all about Buying experiences when it has some 'Selling' experiences too.

Hence, to keep the Selling & Buying experiences separately, you can create separate threads for them titled as follows:
  • My experience with Spinny as a Seller.
  • My experience with Spinny as a Buyer.
Similar titles & threads can be made separately for experiences with other businesses (car portals) also like Cars24, OLX Autos, etc.

This will help the user to easily search for experiences either as Seller or Buyer. This way, they won't have to search for particular experience if they were mixed together in a single thread.

Apologies if my post serves no information value to this thread. It's just a suggestion that I wanted to put up.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 13th January 2022 at 21:44.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:13   #22
BHPian

Just what the doctor ordered as far as the used car market is concerned. Peace of mind is what prevents most car owners from accessing the second-hand car market. Numerous members have recounted how this market operates and the surprising part is that shady deals are the common factor binding the used car market across the country. So, for someone who plans to run only one car in the family the cons of a costlier new car outweigh the pros of a cheaper used car. Even for experienced car owners, the task of sourcing a sound and authentic used car becomes daunting at times.
Good to see the trust Spinny has earned the trust among BhPians. I am sure Spinny will carve a market for itself in the used car market if it manages to maintain this level of customer satisfaction. The segment itself is expected to boom and I hope Spinny makes the other players sit back and take note of its modus operandi. Thanks for recounting your account Prateek. This thread will help numerous prospective owners in the coming days. I hope you enjoy your new ride to the fullest.
Cheers
Kuldeep31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 00:57   #23
BHPian

Interesting. I didn't have a good experience with either Cars24 Or Spinny. While Cars24 didn't provide an option for a doorstep test drive and hardly showed interest (well I was not bidding very high), Spinny sent two cars. Both of them had some issue. A Cross Polo with a lot of exhaust escaping from the engine (I forget the technical term) and a Tata Zest with a juddering steering. Final nail in the coffin was when they showed too much reluctant to send me an Ameo as I expressed it is slightly out of my budget and would request a test drive. The same evening I ended up booking an Ameo from Mahindra First Choice. They didn't offer me a doorstep drive, but were glad to oblige for a fairly long test drive when I reached there. Deal was sealed.

As a seller, had a slightly better experience. cars24, Carwale and Spinny all evaluated my car and quoted basically 50 percent of Onroad Price for my 3.5 year old Kwid. Finally, Trubil (a Spinny affiliate) bought it for slightly greater than 60 percent. I could have got another 20k if I had sold to an individual, but that's the price for reducing the risk of a shady prospect.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 13:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this is one thing I forgot to ask. But after a couple of months, I looked up VAAHAN to see if ownership was transferred. I did NOT get any email/SMS notification from Spinny.
I have had a strange and not a very happy after sale experience with Spinny. I sold my Ecosport to them in February ‘21 at a price I was satisfied with. The whole process was smooth and professionally handled. I thought I had a good run with them.

Suddenly in December ‘21 I got repeated SMS notices from the MoRTH giving me a deadline to pay off overdue challans raised against my ex-car number or appear in Court. On checking on the Maharashtra Traffic App I found 3 challans dated August, September and December’21 respectively for ₹1000 each for speeding on the Expressway registered against the car number. The car though was no longer in my ownership since February ‘21. I got in touch with Spinny and while they did not avoid me, they just could not provide me the proof that the vehicle is now transferred to a new owner. I checked on the Vahaan site by entering the vehicle number and the OTP does go to another number, I don’t know which. I am not sure if this belongs to Spinny or to some individual. Unfortunately for me I had to fly out to Toronto just at that time and am still here. I cannot chase Spinny while I’m here. I will return during the first week of February when I shall start chasing Spinny once again for the proof of transfer and details of the new owner.

To add to the strangeness of this deal, I registered a grievance on the Maharashtra Traffic App stating clearly the date of sale and the dates of the Challans. After 3-4 weeks they closed the grievance on the app with a simple comment stating “Rejected, you are liable to pay the penalty for your offence” Bizarre to say the least
armumbai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 14:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
To add to the strangeness of this deal, I registered a grievance on the Maharashtra Traffic App stating clearly the date of sale and the dates of the Challans. After 3-4 weeks they closed the grievance on the app with a simple comment stating “Rejected, you are liable to pay the penalty for your offence” Bizarre to say the least
OT for this thread but this is the reason why I get the transfer done myself for any vehicle I sell (or even buy though that is simply for ethical reasons). I sold my car in Dec and took a hit of 5K from the deal for this transfer but I don't mind loosing 5K for peace of mind. My agent is fixed and he gets the job done. I now have the confirmation receipt from the RTO stating that transfer application is submitted.
sunilch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 14:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It's interesting that the government has no solution to this common problem. Shouldn't there be a "holding" status for cars under a dealership or agency? Something like a temporary registration that is allocated to dealerships and the like with a highly restricted range of travel (say 2 KMs, or even zero, with the dealership having to pay for using the road on a case by case basis) within a locality and for particular roads - with hefty fines for violations? Possibly enforced with technology. This would mean sellers would get a clear certificate stating that they are no longer in possession of the vehicle and the dealership also would be accountable for the vehicles they hold.

Says a lot about the competence of our bureaucrats.
mvadg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Current situation: Car is still in KHT Motors, warranty replacement is approved but since the part is not in stock they have to order it and are not sure when the part will be available.
Quoting myself, the Gear Lever assembly was received by KHT Motors yesterday and they asked me to collect the vehicle today. While collecting the vehicle I asked them to show the part that was changed (just general curiosity) and they showed where the cable inside a sheath was completely twisted (due to this twisting the lever was not locking into Parking mode) and it was not possible to change it as a child part. Have attached the bill below, relevant S.No. for this change are 13, 20, 21 and 22.

Am thankful for the previous owner to have taken the Extended Warranty and also for ensuring that the vehicle was serviced whenever it was due.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-img_20220114_170840.jpg  

Review: I bought a used car from Spinny-img_20220114_170335_1.jpg  

anandtheleo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 22:13   #28
BHPian

Have had a very, very poor experience with spinny in Bangalore, multiple home test drives booked, they don't turn up, no call no show.
One Tucson that I had gone to see, the variant, pricing and ODO reading were different on the website and on the actual car.
Today, i booked a car, it reserves it for 3 days. Went to the hub to take a test drive, so far so good.
Now, just before buying, thanks to the advice on this awesome forum, I asked for the service history and insurance details.
Turns out, due to a technical glitch (in their words), multiple accident claims and repairs to 2 doors on the car, the front suspension assembly being replaced, were not listed on the website in this cars details.
I found these details in the service history!
Walked out, cancelled the reservation, now waiting to get my money back!
rhsakarp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 05:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Have had a very, very poor experience with spinny in Bangalore, multiple home test drives booked, they don't turn up, no call no show.
One Tucson that I had gone to see, the variant, pricing and ODO reading were different on the website and on the actual car.
Today, i booked a car, it reserves it for 3 days. Went to the hub to take a test drive, so far so good.
Now, just before buying, thanks to the advice on this awesome forum, I asked for the service history and insurance details.
Turns out, due to a technical glitch (in their words), multiple accident claims and repairs to 2 doors on the car, the front suspension assembly being replaced, were not listed on the website in this cars details.
I found these details in the service history!
Walked out, cancelled the reservation, now waiting to get my money back!

Do escalate this to the highest level in their team
Prateek_999 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
It's interesting that the government has no solution to this common problem. Shouldn't there be a "holding" status for cars under a dealership or agency? Something like a temporary registration that is allocated to dealerships and the like with a highly restricted range of travel (say 2 KMs, or even zero, with the dealership having to pay for using the road on a case by case basis) within a locality and for particular roads - with hefty fines for violations? Possibly enforced with technology. This would mean sellers would get a clear certificate stating that they are no longer in possession of the vehicle and the dealership also would be accountable for the vehicles they hold.

Says a lot about the competence of our bureaucrats.
Seriously man. This is very much needed. But unless someone goes to court, or some MP, MLA, Minister or Judge suffers due to this menace, I don't think this problem is gonna get a solution.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks