Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Padmini or Ambassador which would you choose?
Premier Padmini 300 55.56%
Hindustan Ambassador 240 44.44%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 17:08   #151
BHPian

Nostalgic is right!

While my Grandpa had an Amby, my dad's first car was the 'trendy' Premier Padmini. It used to be my Mom's favorite car as well! As a kid I always thought, why does everyone call it 'Fiat'?!

My vote goes to the Padmini. Too many sweet memories.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:58   #152
BHPian

Fiat it is! I learned to drive in one at 16 on a highway trip and hit my first pedestrian in one on the same trip ( I know irresponsible of the driver to let me drive. My dad did not accompany us ). Jokes apart a fiat was a drivers car compared to an amby which was more suited for back seat travel. When i first drove an amby, it felt like driving a lorry.

We always had fiats with 2 diff body colours . The roof was always painted a
diff colour from the body haha!

We owned several fiats for nearly 25 years till my dad finally bought a M800 which at that time felt like a refined , modern and trendy car lol .

The fiat vs amby rivalry is like the Jawa vs bullet one . BTW my dad had a Jawa for nearly as long in which i learned to ride a motrorcycle.♠
Old 4th January 2010, 16:00   #153
BHPian

Padmini is a lot better to drive, but I struggled to fit in (I am 6'3"). So got to go with Amby's roomy interiors.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:14   #154
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic.
Because I had one way back in the Mid 90's
I learnt to drive on this car and this being compact, always felt that PP performed better than the behemoth Amby.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:15   #155
BANNED

MY VOTE GOES TO THE UNCROWNED KING OF THE ROADS FIAT 1100 (MILLICENTO, SELECT, PRESIDENT, PADMINI). You name the features wanted for a race car and you have it (For the time they were the only cars available).

Style, looks, speed, acceleration, torque, lighter, superior handling, great at high speed curves, many many more

Last edited by Sujith1100 : 4th January 2010 at 16:21.
Old 4th January 2010, 21:27   #156
BHPian

Ambassador. Learnt to drive on both it and the Padmini but prefer the Amby's looks.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:38   #157
Senior - BHPian

Undoubtedly, Premier Padmini/Fiat. If anyone asks me to choose from a well maintained Ambassador and a rust bucket Padmini, I would rather choose Padmini with my eyes closed.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:59   #158
Senior - BHPian

Our neighbor used to own a Premier Padmini when I was child. That was the first car I sat in.
Once my father took it to our native and while coming back he struggled with half clutch and finally managed with a stone at rear tyre
Old 19th January 2010, 10:35   #159
Senior - BHPian

Well here's a comparison shot...from a local garage.
Attached Thumbnails
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose?-100_4148.jpg  

Old 18th February 2010, 21:29   #160
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Fiats and Ambys

Looks like there still are Fiat and Amby afficianados out there in large numbers. I wanted to know more about the situation today:

1. Ambassador is still in production, though in different engine choices. I have never driven one and have always regarded one as being quite heavy. No doubt its aerodynamics could also do with a lot of improvement. Now, out of the choices given by HM on its website, you have a petrol engine with 71 bhp, two diesels and a CNG/Petrol combo, all three between 50 to 55 bhp. Can someone tell me which engine would be better suited for a reasonably good pickup (no burning rubber, but it shouldn't take forever to build up cruising speed), and a decent cruising speed (~100kmph)? Are the pedals hanging from up like in modern cars or sprouting out of the floor as the classic Ambys or Fiats have? Does anyone have any information regarding the day to day use of the present-day Ambassador? Any (detailed) reviews or second-hand information from friends/relatives who have purchased a new Amby?

2. Fiats are no longer in production. My uncle has a Fiat diesel which is now about 15 years old. He moved it out of Mumbai for PUC reasons. Is there any way the engine can be tweaked/tuned to meet the present-day pollution norms? Is an engine replacement possible/permissible, and if yes, what would be a good choice?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:45   #161
BHPian

Amby anyday. Well my dad had the amby and my mom had the padmini. So for me the padmini is always gonna be a ladies car.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:54   #162
Senior - BHPian

Premier Padmini is my choice anyday any time!
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:23   #163
Joy
BHPian

Learnt to drive in a Premier Padmini. Also, driven my uncle's Ambassador on many occasions.

Love the padmini, so cute and the exhaust note is like a music. Only grouse the rear window does not roll down fully (used to hate it as a kid).

My vote goes to Premier Padmini.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:02   #164
BANNED

Ambassador any day. It has that regal look that I find hard to resist and moreover the 1800ISZ engine makes it so smooth, at least on the engine side.

Just look at those Ambys used by ministers in the news and you cant resist the temptation to own one.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:29   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ambassador any day. It has that regal look that I find hard to resist and moreover the 1800ISZ engine makes it so smooth, at least on the engine side.

Just look at those Ambys used by ministers in the news and you cant resist the temptation to own one.

Well, i love the Premier.

Why......?

Ambassador = Behaves like a lazy WHALE .

Premier = Sportive and nimble like a DOLPHIN.

Also ......!

You get down from an Amby, people mistake you for a CAB DRIVER,

But not the case when you do so in the Premier, people admire a well kept Premier.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 23rd August 2010 at 19:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks