Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Padmini or Ambassador which would you choose?
Premier Padmini 300 55.56%
Hindustan Ambassador 240 44.44%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 02:37   #181
BHPian

Re: A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choos

Premier Padmini - the original FIAT cars of India. It had the speed and handling to die for. It would zip away and more than anything else it was the car on which I learned driving
Old 4th July 2012, 03:10   #182
BHPian

Premier Padmini without a doubt. First car for my family and the one in which my dad learnt driving and i banged my head on the dash. No matter the niggles i had with it but it had the best memories of my childhood.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:04   #183
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choos

The Ambassador. Driving pleasure (hic) would almost be similar in both these cars, but the Amby offers so much more space, I could set up my home in it.

Old 4th July 2012, 11:54   #184
BHPian

Premier Padmini without Doubt , It was more pleasurable to drive and sound of engine revving up or when i put third gear , it was magic ... I used to take it to college !! and best part was I learnt driving in Fiat 1100D 1962 Model , which was with us till 1998 ...drive on the nostalgia
Old 4th July 2012, 12:07   #185
BHPian

Undoubtedly the Ambassador. The original Indian white elephant. Had 3 pieces on the family Mark II, III and IV. It was a gem in those days. With a tank like built it commanded quite a road presence, gave the SUV's of yesteryear a run for their money.

The best rear sofa even till today.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:23   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunforu1 View Post
ambassdor, big, royal & comfy ride, like the slow running elephant.
Yes Dear, Any time I will vote for Amby. We had about 5 of them till my dad expired in 1994. It is sad we have none of them at present. Rear seat was like a sofa in living room.The mechanicals were simple but needed to be attended too often unlike cars of today.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

Ambassador, any day for me for its comfort and looks. It still looks classic to me, it has its own style & charm. I will still love to ride in it, only with driver though

Padmini is also good, but don't have that look which Ambassador has. For personal user i guess Padmini is best suited.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:33   #188
BHPian

Aaahhh !!! Old memories. The Premier Padmini with that gear on the steering wheel. I still miss driving style it offered. Cant forget the drag races we used to have with our lovely FIATs almost pulling the gearknob off the hook. Miss those days and those tough cats we owned and ripped but they always stood loyal.

Tinnie
Old 4th July 2012, 13:41   #189
BHPian

Amby, for the comfort, the space and the vintage looks. Never could sit comfortably in a padmini; not enough headroom. Perhaps the floor-shift model with the bucket seats would've been more comfortable.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:40   #190
BHPian

Even as a kid, I felt that the Amby looked like an old car, and the Premiere Padmini felt like a new one.
Also, I felt those days that the Premier Padmini was easier to drive as the gear lever was actually in the line of sight when looking forward.

And actually having driven the Premier Padmini now, I somehow feel that the Amby never comes into my mind. Voted for the PP.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:20   #191
BHPian

Space: Check
Comfort: Check
Boot space: Are you joking? Check
Availability of spares: Check
Road presence: Check
Ground clearance: Check
Power: Check( post mark 4 models- esp isuzu engines)

It definitely has to be amby.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:32   #192
BHPian

I suppose the poll is about which car we would choose to Drive among the two. This definitely has to be the premier padmini. One of my uncles lent me his 1958 PP and I was amazed at how the car still rides after close to 50 years. The speedo had a red coloured tape that used to move horizontally from left to right and the readings were in Miles. Simply awesome.

However if the poll was about which car would you choose as a passenger then my vote goes to the Amby. Hands down. Even with newer cars sporting much better suspensions, I find the Amby's rear seat to be the most comfortable.
Old 4th July 2012, 17:53   #193
BANNED

My vote to Ambassador for it's better road presence, heavy built and unparalleled rear seat comfort. Full marks. I wish call cabs had Ambassador as well in their fleet, I would opt for it instead of Indica.
Old 4th July 2012, 18:12   #194
BHPian

Premier Padmini!!

Just voted for "Premier Padmini" - Dad / family's first car, a 1989 petrol Premier Padmini and still running like a charm here in Chennai.

Have no plans to let go off it in my life time (just wish I continue to have access to all the spares that are required and my super mechanic "Sukumar" who has always been there to keep it running the way it is until today)!
Attached Thumbnails
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose?-35.jpg  

A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose?-36.jpg  

A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose?-38.jpg  

A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose?-37.jpg  

Old 4th July 2012, 18:27   #195
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be the Ambassador. I remember travelling a lot in the Amby when i was a kid as most the relatives we used to visit had it. I think it still has the most comfortable rear seat when compared to the present gen hatches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks