Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:29   #526
BHPian

Re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
Seems like this might be closer to a Taigun/Kushaq in size than the Creta
Can you share your analysis why you feel so?
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:39   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
Opposite to typical honda with Big Windows, Elevate would be first of its kind having relatively smaller glass area
Well - this is sad. I am generally a fan of bigger windows which bring lot of light inside and gives an airy feel. I am observing that some of the recent designs of cars are quite claustrophobic. I felt it very significantly in the rear of Altroz and to some extent even in the Nexon. I have felt very comfortable in the Honda City due to its big windows and its sad to see Honda also moving out from this design.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:04   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I am certain this will be visibly bigger than Creta and a bit smaller than Alcazar. Stance looks good from whatever I can see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
Elevate certainly looks bigger, specially the height. --
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Clearly it looks a shade larger than the Vezel/HR-V from Asean markets. --
Dimensions of the Elevate (L and W, H ?) will be definitely be smaller than Vezel (Japanese model) and hence priced lower too as the ELEVATE will cater to the Japanese market too.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:46   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Dimensions of the Elevate (L and W, H ?) will be definitely be smaller than Vezel (Japanese model) and hence priced lower too as the ELEVATE will cater to the Japanese market too.
From the side-by-side spy shots it certainly looks like it will be slightly elevated compared to the Vezel. Could borrow some grille styling too, at least for the Japanese market, unless what I was looking at in the small un-camoed part was the radiator* and not the grille.

*knowing Honda I have full faith that it is not an intercooler
Old 3rd June 2023, 01:01   #530
BHPian

Quote:

On the pricing front it is definitely premium to City with Top End CVT ~ 17.XX Ex Showroom and launch would see only 1.5 Petrol MT/CVT as option - Hybrid powertrain is still a question mark.
With this pricing, decade old IVTEC and scanty features Honda provides, this car sales are going to bomb and the production will cease in a couple of years. Just like every other new launch of Honda in the past decade other than City and Amaze. I.e. Mobilio, WRV, BRV .
gck_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 06:51   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Can you share your analysis why you feel so?
The Taigun has a width of 1760mm, whereas the Creta has a width of 1790mm. But the City on which this is to be based has a width of 1748mm.

if it’s the same platform, the Elevate I feel might be closer dimensionally to the Taigun
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:19   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

While this new launch seems exciting, I hope they don't mess it up! The international WRV is quite small and the HRV has a coupe type stance with the rear sloping down. In the HRV the boot space is also quite small. What Honda may be attempting to do is make an HRV with WRV rear, which could be more spacious and also have a larger boot.
I just hope that Honda launches the Hybrid version asap as that is what is needed. The 1.5 Ivtec engine is dated now and would not excite buyers. Another thing I noticed in the Indonesian version is that there is no spare wheel and the wheel well is occupied by the Hybrid battery. For India they might be wanting to change this design and shift the hybrid battery to the space below the rear seats so that a spare wheel can still be offered.
If Honda are able to offer a 4.2-4.3 m long car with HRV interiors with a Hybrid engine and good mileage at a price of 20 lacs ex showroom, customers will flock to them and it will be successful. Many customers who are currently having Hycross Hybrid bookings (like me too) who are tired of the wait would certainly shift to the Honda offering (as we don't really need a 7 seater and would be happy with a 5 seater Hybrid)
Behemoth is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 11:55   #533

Honda also understands this is one of the most important product for them. Elevate is a bit kind of a do-or-die product for them. And Elevate success will also decide the further of Honda in India. If they make the Elevate size almost similar to Creta and provide similar features in the same price bracket ( even 5-10% higher will be ok), then for buyers it will be hard to ignore Elevate. If Elevate size is similar to VW/Skoda then VW cars make a strong case for themself and Elevate will get ignored. I hope Honda management will make the right decision and don't make any silly mistakes. India needs Honda, we already lost Ford.
Dinno73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:05   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellip5i5 View Post
The Taigun has a width of 1760mm, whereas the Creta has a width of 1790mm. But the City on which this is to be based has a width of 1748mm.

if it’s the same platform, the Elevate I feel might be closer dimensionally to the Taigun
Exterior 3cm won't make a massive difference in terms of legroom, width, etc. as much as the interior dimensions do.
Japanese are masters at ergonomics and space planning - so if they are able to carve out the difference in the interior width and space they could be on par with creta.
lamborghini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:31   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueather View Post
1. A Class limousine is nowhere near 70 lakhs.
1. You are right; the A Limousine is 56 lakhs on road, my bad. And I am not suggesting Honda should price an SUV (not a sedan) at 70 lakhs, I am saying BECAUSE Merc can sell something that is not an order of magnitude better than a Verna Turbo at almost 3X price, Honda can also very happily milk its brandname in India - PARTICULARLY because it makes machines which are extremely reliable and refined. (Again to be very clear, charge a few thousands over its competition, not 70 lakhs).

2. There is still no comparing the smoothness of a Honda engine (across using it for years) with a Hyundai engine. And then add driving dynamics on top of it and the hike in price would be very much justified.

3. What "cutting edge" features is the A Limo offering (over a Verna)? It is not just the sum of the parts put in the car. It is the branding. It is a demand and supply effect. You can charge whatever you want if you have a demand that you can meet with supply. And whether you want to accept it or not, Honda commands that respect and demand, atleast in the people that I have spoken to.
HartBandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:50   #536
Senior - BHPian

Honda Elevate teased again which reveals the outline of the side profile.

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-20230603_124928.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd June 2023 at 12:52.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:12   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Elevate teased again which reveals the outline of the side profile.
Brightened the picture a bit. Alloys seem to be from the City. Looks like it has roof rails. From what could be seen from this, the body line going from the headlights to the C Pillar does look good. The design is quite boxy, and it does feel tad larger than the likes of Nexon, Venue,etc. Although can't comment much just based on this.

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-screenshot_20230603_130512_photos.jpg

Last edited by HumbleBee : 3rd June 2023 at 13:36.
HumbleBee is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:18   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gck_tourer View Post
With this pricing, decade old IVTEC and scanty features Honda provides, this car sales are going to bomb and the production will cease in a couple of years. Just like every other new launch of Honda in the past decade other than City and Amaze. I.e. Mobilio, WRV, BRV .
Still, the I-VTEC is best in segment even today, having said that this product is a do or die for Honda, other's have also mentioned this and I think Honda can nail it this time. I am pretty sure honda will easily do ~ 3K / Month on account of availability/ loyalty for brand honda .
Motorhead23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:44   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post
1. You are right; the A Limousine is 56 lakhs on road, my bad. And I am not suggesting Honda should price an SUV (not a sedan) at 70 lakhs, I am saying BECAUSE Merc can sell something that is not an order of magnitude better than a Verna Turbo at almost 3X price, Honda can also very happily milk its brandname in India - PARTICULARLY because it makes machines which are extremely reliable and refined. (Again to be very clear, charge a few thousands over its competition, not 70 lakhs).

2. There is still no comparing the smoothness of a Honda engine (across using it for years) with a Hyundai engine. And then add driving dynamics on top of it and the hike in price would be very much justified.

3. What "cutting edge" features is the A Limo offering (over a Verna)? It is not just the sum of the parts put in the car. It is the branding. It is a demand and supply effect. You can charge whatever you want if you have a demand that you can meet with supply. And whether you want to accept it or not, Honda commands that respect and demand, atleast in the people that I have spoken to.

1. Honda are in no position to demand outrageous amount from customers because they have tried that already and it has always backfired ( CRV, Civic and Accord Hybrid).
You have got to understand that people won't automatically choose Elevate against the likes of Creta and Hyryder just because it's a Honda. This is a highly competitive segment where you've got to give your best.
Dzire and Aura outsell Amaze despite being a decent Honda product. That tells you that Honda don't have that kind of pull that they used to have in India.

2. These are basic commuters. The likes of average middle class families don't care about driving dynamics.
But since we're talking about it let's not forget that City sells despite its poor high speed stability.
And yes Hondas are smooth but Hyundai is not that far behind when it comes to smoothness. If you don't believe me then take a test drive of the new Verna.

3. I have explained earlier that A class is expensive because it's a luxury car. Similar to underpowered X1 which is also outrageously priced because it's a BMW.
Honda demands respect but not in India.
They were late to diesel craze and then crossover craze. They have been too conservative here.

And I agree that they are smooth reliable machines but that's where it ends. Dated interiors, poor infotainment system and crazy pricing of Hybrid variants tell the story themselves.

And I'm no Honda hater. I just don't like their general approach towards India.

Last edited by blueather : 3rd June 2023 at 13:49. Reason: Edit
blueather is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:07   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Still, the I-VTEC is best in segment even today, having said that this product is a do or die for Honda, other's have also mentioned this and I think Honda can nail it this time. I am pretty sure honda will easily do ~ 3K / Month on account of availability/ loyalty for brand honda .
I would count 3k /month as failure in a segment where the leader exceeds 10k a month with ease.

As for the Honda premium pricing everyone is talking about, Honda has a big thing against it. Can one say for certainty they will be around 5 or 6 years down the line? I don't see Hyundai going anywhere, can the same be said for Honda if Elevate fails? They can't afford a failure, and coming so late to the party they will have to swallow their pride and come in with attractive pricing to survive. Call it introductory or whatever.
SedateGuy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks