Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 18:07   #91
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Maruti is a leader and they sell cars in all segments.
Cost, yes it is a factor, but for them, having a product in all categories is more important. Hence, they have all sorts of permutations and combinations in their products.

Why would such a company leave a segment? Even though Ignis/Celerio are Dud's they still produce and sell them. It's not always about having a good portfolio. Its always to have overlapping products in their portfolio.

Current market's premium for a diesel engine is 150K - 200K over petrol engine. And still the demand for I20/Venue/Creta diesel buyers is ever increasing. It appears, initial Cost is not a factor for these buyers. So, there are a significant number of takers. Hence this question.
Your point is right. There is still demand for diesel.

But the problem with Maruti, like I mentioned in my previous comment, is that their in-house 1.5L diesel engine is not meeting the BS6 emission norms. If you are not meeting the norms, you are not allowed to sell the engine. Thats the major reason why Maruti couldn't launch diesel.

You can check the media reports, even after BS6 implementation, Maruti was still testing the diesel engine and there were reports that they could launch it.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th August 2022 at 18:20. Reason: Maruthi = Maruti
Old 24th August 2022, 18:16   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
We as a country are moving towards SUVs and Crossovers and sadly, manufacturers will listen to the market. Who would have thought of a 180 mm ground clearance Skoda sedan in 2010?
There are times when I have thought of going for Octavia because the fit, finish and engine are just superb. As rightly said by many, cars have become expensive. However, being in Bangalore where roads practically do not exist, the provided GC just doesn't help . Octavia comes with 137mm GC. The last thing I want is driving with constant fear of scraping under belly after paying ~35L
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
The same fortunner is almost 50L onroad now. The Octavia L&K is almost 35L now. Prices of every car have increased.
The Octavia is still worth its price. Its a well built car. It has a decent feature list, premium interiors, powerful engine, modern cabin, premium audio, etc. Although it misses out on ventilated seats and a sunroof, it is still good value for money for what it offers.
Totally agree, I feel Octavia is still worth its price. If I need to get same or better performance in another car, I need to spend 60 lakhs (330i). Also Octavia feels very premium inside out and that boot is irreplaceable. And the same engine is being used in cars even upwards of 50 lakhs. For customers like me, nothing comes closer and is totally value even at 38 lakhs OTR
Old 24th August 2022, 18:19   #94
BHPian

So the preposterous and selective anti-pollution measures take another toll on car manufacturers. The clueless babus in North Block can come up with any irrational regulation that can make businesses go bankrupt overnight.
Reminds me of this from ABBA's Winner takes it all:

The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear

Meanwhile, somewhere in Haryana, some one is (un)able to hide his glee behind a mask.
Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023-cropburningpti.jpg

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 24th August 2022 at 18:39.
OffRoadFun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:38   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
I know a lot of people are upset that the octavia and the superb are going away but I fail to understand how Skoda who introduced the Octavia at around 10-11 Lakh in 2002 expected it to sell well when they increased the price to more than 18L by 2013 and further to 22L+ by 2020.

Its the same story with every sedan in the same class, the Corolla, the Elantra and the Jetta. They were no longer made any sense in terms of VFM.
The Octavia top model at 34L on road in 2022 is much more VFM than the same car at 13L in 2002. India has averaged 6% inflation over the last 20 years, this makes 13L the equivalent of 43L in today’s money. Cars have become cheaper or at worst, simply kept up with inflation.

Last edited by AJ56 : 24th August 2022 at 18:45.
AJ56 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
There are times when I have thought of going for Octavia because the fit, finish and engine are just superb. As rightly said by many, cars have become expensive. However, being in Bangalore where roads practically do not exist, the provided GC just doesn't help . Octavia comes with 137mm GC. The last thing I want is driving with constant fear of scraping under belly after paying ~35L
It’s not that bad. Unless you are regularly using off-road tracks such as estates/farms etc. This review might throw some light.
https://www.cardekho.com/road-test/s...-790.htm?amp=1
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:57   #97
BHPian

Although this isn’t Skoda leaving the Indian market but it certainly feels like it and that’s because Octavia and Superb weren’t cars, they were brands.

Superb is what your mind would suggest when you’re looking at the three Germans. Cars that punch above their weight are a rarity in the Indian market and Octavia and Superb were flag bearers to that, sad to see them go!
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 19:33   #98
BHPian

I believe the engine used in Octa and Superb is also used in Audi A4 and Kodiaq. Would these models be impacted too ?
Old 24th August 2022, 19:33   #99
BHPian

This is a saddening, I wanted Octavia to be my next sedan. Yes, it was not in near future but for Sedan Octavia was my only option. Only if I had the budget to buy one now, I would have gone ahead and purchased it. Damn
Old 24th August 2022, 19:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

I somehow feel this will pan out in a similar way to BS6 roll out. Models not meeting the norms would understandably cease to be sold with a pause in sales for a few quarters. Then it may return as an Octavia iV in CBU (heck, their entire portfolio is at their disposal through this route)

Some estates in the lot please, Skoda
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 22:06   #101
BHPian

What about the engines of Slavia and Virtus? Will these cars also stop after 2023? if not, then why not use this 1.5L engine in Octavia and Superb with a higher tune churning out the same BHPs as current Octavia and Superb?
I am not able to understand why discontinue these legends ?
Old 24th August 2022, 22:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhkop View Post
Your point is right. There is still demand for diesel.

But the problem with Maruti, like I mentioned in my previous comment, is that their in-house 1.5L diesel engine is not meeting the BS6 emission norms. If you are not meeting the norms, you are not allowed to sell the engine. Thats the major reason why Maruti couldn't launch diesel.

You can check the media reports, even after BS6 implementation, Maruti was still testing the diesel engine and there were reports that they could launch it.

Bud, i am willing to agree with you, but with AdBlue and other tech, you can easily achieve/exceed the standards on a 1.5L diesel engine. Then, why not use it on a 1.5 DDIS!!
They literally chose to stop the production. AdBlue is not an expensive affair. 10L @60/- for 10K kms is not that expensive.

I have never heard Hyundai or Honda complaining about strict BS6 norms, but Maruti just silently discontinued their diesel products.

I am not fighting your opinion or anything, but i just wanted to clearly understand the intricacies. Why? my next purchase gonna depend heavily on this.
Old 25th August 2022, 10:57   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhkop View Post
Civic - Gone
Elantra - Gone
Octavia - soon to be gone
Superb - soon to be gone
Altis & Accord also GONE!!
Old 25th August 2022, 12:12   #104
Senior - BHPian

Isn’t this the same engine doing duty on Audi’s line up too? If yes, how are they going to deal with this situation?
Old 25th August 2022, 12:26   #105
BHPian

This is Sad news. I have the third generation Octavia which I bought in 2018 Jan and was looking to upgrade to 4th Gen this year during Deepavali timeframe.
What choices do we have now in the similar league?

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2022 at 19:27. Reason: Octi - Octavia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks