Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 12:49   #106
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Skoda Superb & Octavia production to end in Feb 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
This is Sad news. I have the third generation Octavia which I bought in 2018 Jan and was looking to upgrade to 4th Gen this year during Deepavali timeframe.
What choices do we have now in the similar league?
In the same league... none I am afraid. Both Octavia & Superb deliver punches above their weight category and were mind over matter when compared to other overpriced and hyped Germans. I too have a 2018 Octavia and just love the car. However, I'll take this news with a pinch of salt as Zac had himself stated that Skoda/VW will continue to have sedans in the market and in fact they wanted to grow this market as demand is there.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2022 at 19:27. Reason: Octy - Octavia
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 12:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
This is Sad news. I have the third generation Octi which I bought in 2018 Jan and was looking to upgrade to 4th Gen this year during Deepavali timeframe.
What choices do we have now in the similar league?
Frankly nothing. So my suggestion is you go ahead with the purchase
Else put some more money and look for big Germans

On another note, if your MK3 Octavia was bought new in 2018, I do not see any reason why to sell that in a short time. You have endless mod potential to make it more exciting.

Last edited by sunikkat : 25th August 2022 at 12:58.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 13:00   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Bud, i am willing to agree with you, but with AdBlue and other tech, you can easily achieve/exceed the standards on a 1.5L diesel engine. Then, why not use it on a 1.5 DDIS!!
They literally chose to stop the production. AdBlue is not an expensive affair. 10L @60/- for 10K kms is not that expensive.

I have never heard Hyundai or Honda complaining about strict BS6 norms, but Maruti just silently discontinued their diesel products.

I am not fighting your opinion or anything, but i just wanted to clearly understand the intricacies. Why? my next purchase gonna depend heavily on this.
One thing to remember is that we have jumped two levels of standards from BS4 to directly BS6. It takes a lot more than Adblue. Lot of hardware changes, combustion control etc. needs to takes place. And donot forget the engines needs to have right amount of performance and fuel efficiency as well.

For you better understanding please read this piece here from Autocar India for better understanding of how BS6 engines work . Hopefully, you get all the clarity
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 13:17   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
I believe the engine used in Octa and Superb is also used in Audi A4 and Kodiaq. Would these models be impacted too ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Isn’t this the same engine doing duty on Audi’s line up too? If yes, how are they going to deal with this situation?

Quote:
"Phase 2 of BS6 emission regulations, which will require carmakers to achieve emission targets in real-world conditions (RDE - Real Driving Emissions), will come into effect from April 1, 2023. The current EA888 evo3 DQ381-7F drivetrain will be near the boundary line of the emission requirements and would need to be replaced by the evo4 engine.

Swapping the evo3 with the evo4 for a single market will be a costly affair and does not make a valid business case. The other option that was said to be on the table was the Russian market EA888 evo4 DQ381-7A drivetrain (where ‘A’ stands for AWD). However, this was rejected by the Indian product planners due to fuel efficiency and price consideration, as the volume would have been minimal."
So I guess Audi will find it easy to have AWD in the A4, as would in the Kodiaq.
Old 25th August 2022, 15:10   #110
BHPian

So having contemplating to buy the Octavia sometime next year this puts me along with the many gents here in a soup. Is there any way to have some clarity if the production will be on till next year ? In other words will it possible to get a 23 MY car or will they halt production by end of this year and liquidate stocks till March 23?
Old 25th August 2022, 16:26   #111
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
The same Fortuner is almost 50L on road now. The Octavia L&K is almost 35L now. Prices of every car have increased.
The Octavia is still worth its price. Its a well built car. It has a decent feature list, premium interiors, powerful engine, modern cabin, premium audio, etc. Although it misses out on ventilated seats and a sunroof, it is still good value for money for what it offers.
Its really sad that it will be discontinued.
If it was such a value for money proposition, their sales would be better and they would not be getting discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
The Octavia top model at 34L on road in 2022 is much more VFM than the same car at 13L in 2002. India has averaged 6% inflation over the last 20 years, this makes 13L the equivalent of 43L in today’s money. Cars have become cheaper or at worst, simply kept up with inflation.
I don't know why you feel that car prices follow inflation, my company I work for makes automotive components and I can assure you that there is no way that component suppliers get price increases based on inflation. we are constantly pushed to increase productivity to reduce prices. The only way we will get an increase is if the metal prices go up significantly and they will be breathing down our necks as soon as metal prices go down. The only other reason is if the volumes would go down significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Totally agree, I feel Octavia is still worth its price. If I need to get same or better performance in another car, I need to spend 60 lakhs (330i). Also Octavia feels very premium inside out and that boot is irreplaceable. And the same engine is being used in cars even upwards of 50 lakhs. For customers like me, nothing comes closer and is totally value even at 38 lakhs OTR
Again, if these cars were such good VFM, they would be having greater demand from customers.

All mass market car manufacturers depend upon volumes and their cost structure is based on volumes, they just cannot survive long term at the kind of volumes being generated by these models. As another poster had shown, the octy had volumes of over 40K per year a decade ago and it is down to less than 10K per year. These numbers are not sustainable. The overhead coverage per car will have down significantly resulting in a big increase of overhead per car sold. At the end of the day, their corporate strategies resulted in a massive reduction in volume rendering them uneconomical.
Again, the only 2 cars that were able to survive an increase of more than 100% over the past decade as the Innova and the Fortuner as there are no competitors worth their salt in their categories.
Just my 2 cents. Cheers
chandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:38   #112
BHPian

This is terribly sad news, if true. We have lost way too many fun to drive cars.

On the other hand, I'm happy to have bought an Octavia in 2019, when prices were high, but still not ridiculous like they are today.

Resale values won't drop on this news, however. Look at the Endeavour 3.2. It's still going strong in the used market. That's rare for discontinued cars.
Old 25th August 2022, 18:09   #113
BHPian

I just happened to come across the superb & octavia on sale in the UK both are being offered with 1.5 liter petrol engines developing 150 ps. What is stopping Skoda India from offering the same here? Both these cars define Skoda in India. The sad thing is what will we skoda fanboys have to upgrade after this ? May be the enyaq. But, seriously these 2 cars evoke an emotional tug. Sad that they are going to go. I hope & wish that Skoda India somehow finds a way to keep these brands alive. Sharing the link for Skoda UK
https://www.skoda.co.uk/new-cars/octavia/hatch-se
Old 25th August 2022, 18:29   #114

This is sad news indeed. In my TeamBHP application, I’d written about how much I love the Octavia and I think for many of us, it was the one of the last hopes for the sedans. Hopefully, Virtus and Slavia will prove that there’s enough demand for sedans.

Who knows the Jetta, Octavia and Elantra could all return if the current crop of sedans do well (one can always dream ).
Old 25th August 2022, 19:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
If it was such a value for money proposition, their sales would be better and they would not be getting discontinued.

I don't know why you feel that car prices follow inflation, my company I work for makes automotive components and I can assure you that there is no way that component suppliers get price increases based on inflation. we are constantly pushed to increase productivity to reduce prices. The only way we will get an increase is if the metal prices go up significantly and they will be breathing down our necks as soon as metal prices go down. The only other reason is if the volumes would go down significantly.

Again, if these cars were such good VFM, they would be having greater demand from customers.
Automotive components supplied by your company are a relatively small part of the overall cost of production of the car. There is plant and machinery, fuel and energy, and labour which is a huge cost head. Labour wages have more than doubled in the last 10-15 years.

Octavia and Superb sell less due to Škodas low market share, not because their prices have kept up with inflation. Even cars that top sales charts from Honda to Lamborghini, almost every other model has also kept up with inflation, it's a basic law of economics.

A City was 8.5L for the top model 12-15 years ago, today it is 17L+. A 520d in 2016 was 51L on road, today in just 6 years it’s 75L on road, inflation would actually put it at 73L so it has infact increased slightly above inflation adjusted prices and yet continues to sell better than ever. Same case with City.

A Camry hybrid in 2015 was 35L on road, today it’s 51L, which is right on the inflation adjusted price.

An S350d was 93L on road in 2012, today it is 1.81 cr, according to the same inflation rate I’ve used for Škoda, this should be 1.7 cr after 10 years so again it’s slightly over inflation adjusted prices and yet merc has seen no dip in sales and continues to be the market leader in terms of volumes and revenue among the premium car mfg’s.

Point is, singling out price hikes for Skodas poor sales is simply incorrect. There could be plenty of reasons, pricing isn’t one of them.

Last edited by AJ56 : 25th August 2022 at 19:20.
AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 19:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
Couldn't agree more. Infact the costs get apportioned across time and should reduce if all other input costs stay the same.
There are many things at work here - economies of scale being the most important thing.

cheers,
ac
Old 25th August 2022, 19:29   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Skoda Superb and Octavia are among the last remaining D-segment sedans in India and soon, they will be axed. Sources tell us that Skoda will stop producing these models in India in February 2023, with sales ceasing by March 31, 2023.
This is a sad day for me. I seem to be jinxed.

1999 - Bought the M800 MPFI 5 Speed and the model. Was discontinued.
2005 - Bought the Maruti Baleno Sedan- model stopped production and discontinued
2014- Bought the Innova - Model discontinued to make way for the Crysta in I guess 2015/16
2016 - Bought the Chevrolet Cruze - The company folded in Dec. 2017
2022- August - Bought the Superb:I don't know what to say

I will stop buying.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th August 2022 at 21:31. Reason: Fixing quote tag and formatting edits. Please do not write with ….. in the interest of readability. Thank you.
ngnidhi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 21:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnidhi View Post
This is a Sad day for me ... I seem to be Jinxed...

1999 - Bought the M800 MPFI 5 Speed and the model.was discontinued.
2005 - Bought the Maruti Baleno Sedan- model stopped production and discontinued
2014- Bought the Innova - Model discontinued to make way for the Crysta in I guess 2015/16
2016 - Bought the Chevrolet Cruze - The company folded in Dec.2017
2022- August - Bought the Superb.....:I don't know what to say

I will stop buying
I wouldn’t say its jinxed. You ended up buying just in time else you would have missed out. Especially 1. Baleno sedan - I realized its worth much later, I did own its younger sibling, the Esteem; 2. Cruze - my favourite at one time, the only other car that I loved more during that time was the Laura, which I bought over the Cruze; and 3. The Superb - well can you ever not have fun in the 2.0 TSI + keep your family in utmost comfort - I hope to buy the 2.0 TSI in the SUV format aka Kodiaq soon. 800 is an iconic car in itself. Well then its only the Innova - which anyways IMO is a mind decision.

Have endless fun with the Superb.

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 25th August 2022 at 21:48.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 22:14   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
wouldn’t say its jinxed. You ended up buying just in time else you would have missed out
Thank you so much Shreyas for taking the time to respond and assuring me. I really was a bit upset, as now, the company will start giving discounts, the second had market price will drop.

However, as mentioned by you, yes, I do have some amazing memories of drives in each one of the beauties listed , especially the Cruze. (Can't still forget the Surge)

Thanks again Shreyas

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2022 at 14:56. Reason: Quote tags fixed
ngnidhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 23:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnidhi View Post
This is a sad day for me. I seem to be jinxed.

1999 - Bought the M800 MPFI 5 Speed and the model. Was discontinued.
2016 - Bought the Chevrolet Cruze - The company folded in Dec. 2017
2022- August - Bought the Superb:I don't know what to say

I will stop buying.
The theme here is choice of good cars by you and not jinx. May you make more such great choices.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks