Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Outlander should be launched by Aug - Sep '08. In all likelihood, it would be marginally priced below Honda CRV. Pajero may get phased out.

I am looking forward to Outlander's launch.
Old 20th March 2008, 14:33   #32
BHPian

Visit "driveinside" and they have news on all the upcoming car models as well. There is link to news articles on the specific car models as well. Outlander seems to be coming like its coming like fabia and worse fortuner.

there is no reason why Pajero should get phased out coz. Outlander is going to have only petrol engine and more of a soft roader. so both of these are in a different league.

Last edited by shatrughna : 20th March 2008 at 14:35.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:59   #33
BHPian

RE: Outlander

You can trust mitsu to mess things up. Like Fiat they have it in them and i must say very few people doubt their capability in this regard.

i think they willl overprice it, and then an year after launch have their foot in the mouth.
Old 21st March 2008, 00:21   #34
BHPian

Hindustan Motors (HM) is planning to launch the Mitsubishi Outlander at a sub-Rs 20 lakh price in a bid to steal market share from its main rival, the Honda CR-V. Unlike the CR-V, which is completely imported (and hence attracts a 120 percent tax penalty), the Outlander will be locally assembled by HM in its Thiruvallur plant where the Lancer and Cedia are also assembled. Locally-assembled cars pay far less tax than imported cars and this is the key reason why HM can price the Outlander competitively.

The Outlander is similar in size and specs to the CR-V, and has a 2.4-litre four-pot petrol motor with Mitsubishi’s version of variable valve timing. Called MIVEC or Mitsubishi Innovative Valve Timing Electronic Control, the system features three different modes for low, medium and high engine speeds. Although it produces 170bhp, this motor is expected to be slightly detuned to account for the quality of our fuel.

Transmission options include a six-speed manual and a stepless CVT with six pre-selected ratios which can be controlled via paddles on the steering wheel, which is expected to be more efficient than a conventional automatic.

The Outlander has Mitsubishi’s All Wheel Control system, which, when engaged, transfers torque between the front and rear axles for maximum traction. For conventional road use, it functions as a front-wheel-drive. The driver also has the option of 4WD lock for negotiating extreme conditions, but there isn’t a low-range option available. The Outlander has a very advanced suspension package which includes monotube dampers and coil springs at all four corners. Monotube dampers have a faster response time compared to conventional tube-in-tube dampers, and this eliminates wheel hop. The benefits are felt in both ride and handling departments.

According to sources in HM, the Outlander will come in essentially one trim level which will be fully loaded to include a high-end entertainment system, replete with four six-inch speakers, twin dome tweeters, a 10-inch sub-woofer and a 650 watt amplifier as standard. The Outlander comes with a 7-seat configuration but this option will not be offered in India as it requires a space-saver spare tyre to be used under the floor behind the third row of seats. Regulations do not allow the use of a space saver and hence a full-size spare has to be used which eats into the third-row seat area. Mitsubishi also focused a lot of development time on safety. Intelligent airbags that deploy according to the severity of impact are one such feature. The Outlander also boasts class-leading pedestrian impact ratings. HM plans to begin trial production of the Outlander by mid-2008 and launch it soon after.
Old 21st March 2008, 00:36   #35

in USA you can't give these cars away. not much demand for them here.
but it's a nice car IMHO.
Old 21st March 2008, 01:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I hope it remains on sale as long as its been in the coming.
Old 31st March 2008, 18:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Outlander to be launched on Aug 15

I called up the dealer in Bangalore today to enquire about the Pajero. The sales guy said that Outlander launch is scheduled for Aug 15. He also said that it is positioned as a softroader, and that sales and support for the Pajero (he said that it is in a totally different segment - interesting to see how the different vehicles have been positioned internally) will continue.

HM is clearly gunning after CRV and Captiva with the Outlander launch (JW Black Label) - while Pajero remains a niche vehicle (Highland Park).
Old 31st March 2008, 19:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I called up the dealer in Bangalore today to enquire about the Pajero. The sales guy said that Outlander launch is scheduled for Aug 15. He also said that it is positioned as a softroader, and that sales and support for the Pajero (he said that it is in a totally different segment - interesting to see how the different vehicles have been positioned internally) will continue.

HM is clearly gunning after CRV and Captiva with the Outlander launch (JW Black Label) - while Pajero remains a niche vehicle (Highland Park).
Pajero and Outlander indeed caters to two different segments .
Outlander is for Choclate boys and Pajero is for Mr.Clint Eastwood .
Outlander is more suited for roads whereas Pajero is a true bred offroader.
(PS : The only thing thats going to be common b/w them is that both are going to sell in low numbers )
Old 1st April 2008, 10:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Good news. If possible try to find out if its going to be a 7 seater or just a five seater like CRV and whether are they serious about providing an auto tranny.
Old 8th April 2008, 07:52   #40
BHPian

Is there any indication at what price point it will come at?

thanks

Amit

Quote:

Old 12th July 2008, 12:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Guys charge up you cameras, it is about time that the test runs of Outlander gonna start. Chance of another Skoop.

It would be nice if anyone can get the price range they are planning on.
Old 12th July 2008, 12:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just called a dealer and was informed that public display will start from the first week of August and the dealer training begning from next week.

Have been reading a lots of good reviews of this car in other countries. There its offered in diesel verients also, which give as much as 18 KPL. I wish they price it nicely.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Outlander launch

Called up Southern Motors in Bangalore. The person asked me to call back in early August, but was able to give the following information:
* 140 BHP (pity that they reduced the power for the Indian version)
* Only automatic transmission
* On road price between 20L - 21L
* Launch definitely by early October (has been postponed, it seems)
* Display car available by early October (they should have got one earlier)
* Couldn't say anything about torque - but should be proportionately less for the Indian version - just like power

Am planning to buy an suv in October - torn between the Outlander, Grand Vitara and Endeavour 4X4. Any suggestions? Is it worth paying a 3-4L premium for the Outlander for some extra space and power, but reduced offroading capabilities?
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:32   #44

I am in a similar situation as you my friend. I am looking at closing out on the GV. Looks to me that the GV is at the right price point v/s performance (little low) v/s luxury and includes offroad capabilities. A little concerned about the HM A.S.S which should be only at Ambassador standards ;-)
The only point remaining for me is if a 2.4L GV will come in 2008 (without price increase). I checked with Maruti helpline and dealers in Mumbai and they say nothing like this is coming to India.
Can you check in Bangalore ?
Old 1st September 2008, 17:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Pictorial Preview on Mitsubishi Outlander

Some more information on Outlander at:

Vicky.in - article

Hindustan - Mitsubishi Outlander: will be out in first week of October and expected to be priced between Rs18 - Rs20 lakhs (as the Outlander will be assembled at Hindustan Motors Chennai plant). Hindustan Outlander will compete with Honda’s CR-V and Chevrolet Captiva.

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-mitsubishi_outlander_front_view.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-mitsubishi_outlander_side_view.jpg

Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6!-mitsubishi_outlander_rear_view.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks