Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2023, 04:44   #166
BHPian

Re: Next-gen BMW X1, now launched at 45.90 lakhs!

Curious to know if our Team BHP mods were able to get their hands on the new X1 media vehicle. It would be great to get a Team BHP review of this car given all the reports coming out from other media sources about the diesel being well powered. Still no news on the petrol at all!
Pyrotek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 11:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Curious to know if our Team BHP mods were able to get their hands on the new X1 media vehicle. It would be great to get a Team BHP review of this car given all the reports coming out from other media sources about the diesel being well powered. Still no news on the petrol at all!
Having TD’ed entry level luxury SUVs (barring this BMW x1) and then watching online reviews ad-nauseam, I feel most the YouTube reviewers are more a marketing arm of OEMs than independent critical ones. The critique is mostly soft points like “poor alloy design” or “no ventilated seats” etc. Not to be too harsh, not sure how their business model works and crossing OEMs maybe bad for their profits and well every one has to survive. For this BMW reviews, i think only a channel named AutoX seemed to call out underpowered engine specifically. Can’t wait for team-bhp review on the car!
Lux_Noob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 00:04   #168
BHPian

Great discussions - was wondering if anyone has test driven the new Petrol X1 18i 2023 model given it was just launched last month. I am unable to find user reviews or first impressions anywhere online or on this forum - maybe it is too early.

On paper, the Petrol engine looks very under-powered and with its 3cyl 1.5L engine it seems poor especially compared to its direct rival the Audi Q3 and was wondering if there is a thread that reviews and compares the new Petrol X1 with others in its segment.

Thanks.
Adsc0230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 11:45   #169
BHPian

Took a test drive of the GLA 220d a couple of days back. Was contemplating a test drive of the BMW X1 18d, weather permitting in Mumbai. Read through all 12 pages of this forum discussion and am having second thoughts even about the test drive.
Interestingly, I watched all the drive reviews of the 18d which got posted in last ten days. One leading channel even went on to say that the X1 will continue to be the leader in this segment. Yes, everyone did point out the not so good NVH levels, the stiffer ride quality, and the thoughtless center console with the lid opening the wrong way, but overall everyone seemed quite Ga Ga over the car. Makes me wonder, should I stop watching these videos? (I have a lot more faith on the Team-BHP forum discussions).
Old 9th July 2023, 19:03   #170
BHPian

Took a longish test drive of the BMW X1 18d yesterday. Here are some of my observations.
1. The seating position seemed low in both front and back seats. Even after adjusting the seat height. However, visibility was not an issue.
2. Not a fan of the sheer lack of physical buttons. You need to use the touch screen for every little adjustment. Even to change drive mode, you press the My Modes button (physical) on the central console, but then need to choose the drive mode on the touch screen. WHY??? Even to change the teperature you need to go the touch screen.
3. The UI is not very intuitive. Even the sales guy was struggling to navigate through the menus.
4. The floating armrest is not a great idea. The storage provided in the armrest cannot even hold a phone or a wallet. It can store, at best some coins. The open storage under the armrest is good for a ladies' handbag. A proper storage box under the armrest is definitely more useful.
5. The steering wheel hub is bulbous, and hence difficult to reach while driving with both hands on the steering wheel.
6. The car always started with a jerk every time it started rolling from a complete stop. I was told it is because of the "Auto hold" function. The feeling was like sitting in a taxi with 200,000km on the odometer.
7. Now to the elephant in the room - the engine and transmission. I did not feel any dearth of power or acceleration while driving on a road with normal gradient. Drove for some time in sport mode also. Honestly, I felt the engine became a lot more vocal without a proportional increase in performance. The engine felt good for a normal day to day drive in the city (why would I buy a BMW for that - my Seltos does a great job of it). Then came the final nail on the coffin. I was driving on Comfort mode and was about to end my test drive. This involved driving up a long parking ramp in my complex up to the lobby area. THE CAR WAS STRUGGLING!! I could feel the strain in the engine. This was an absolute shock!!! How will this car drive on the ghats??

When I compare this to the test drive I took for the GLA 220d, the difference is like chalk and cheese. The GLA felt sprightly, has the ability to throw you back in your seat, the sport mode is insane, and it still has physical buttons for drive mode selection and climate control. But this is an X1 forum, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by biplab3110 : 9th July 2023 at 19:08.
biplab3110 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 19:23   #171
BHPian

Received a quote of Rs 66Lacs on road with 5 yrs 60000km maintenance and 5 yrs extended warranty. I don't know how to react
biplab3110 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 20:07   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
Received a quote of Rs 66Lacs on road with 5 yrs 60000km maintenance and 5 yrs extended warranty. I don't know how to react
By buying 2 seltos and 1 XUV j guess. The luxury car prices are simply bonkers right now. And with each iteration, the premium cars are closing in on not just the feature, safety but also the performance gap with at least the entry level luxury cars.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 13:37   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, I watched all the drive reviews of the 18d which got posted in last ten days. One leading channel even went on to say that the X1 will continue to be the leader in this segment. Yes, everyone did point out the not so good NVH levels, the stiffer ride quality, and the thoughtless center console with the lid opening the wrong way, but overall everyone seemed quite Ga Ga over the car. Makes me wonder, should I stop watching these videos? (I have a lot more faith on the Team-BHP forum discussions).
Finally some honesty by “official reviewers” - Faisal K on YouTube reviewed it recently and seemed more honest on power, even ride quality and that buying it makes sense for features but then you should consider Kia/Hyundai. Though still played safe by saying the best car to buy in this “segment” is the 3 series rather than say the GLA 220d (for diesel) and Q3 (for petrol) as the proper segment comparisons, though if one watches his videos on these 2 cars, the conclusion can be easily drawn.
Old 17th July 2023, 15:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_Noob View Post
Finally some honesty by “official reviewers” - Faisal K on YouTube reviewed it recently and seemed more honest on power, even ride quality and that buying it makes sense for features but then you should consider Kia/Hyundai. Though still played safe by saying the best car to buy in this “segment” is the 3 series rather than say the GLA 220d (for diesel) and Q3 (for petrol) as the proper segment comparisons, though if one watches his videos on these 2 cars, the conclusion can be easily drawn.
I drove the GLA 220d 4Matic yesterday. The car is just INSANE!! One who sits on the wheels of this car will not even look at gizmos. He/she will just enjoy the drive to the core. Period!! Just as Faisal Khan said in his review of the GAL 220d 4Matic - you don't even need the sport mode to enjoy the car. The comfort mode itself can throw you back in your seat.

Last edited by biplab3110 : 17th July 2023 at 15:27.
Old 18th July 2023, 23:04   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the GLA 220d 4Matic yesterday. The car is just INSANE!! One who sits on the wheels of this car will not even look at gizmos. He/she will just enjoy the drive to the core. Period!! Just as Faisal Khan said in his review of the GAL 220d 4Matic - you don't even need the sport mode to enjoy the car. The comfort mode itself can throw you back in your seat.
Second that. It is the best one in its segment with welcoming interiors (missing tan seats though) if one is okay with diesel regulation hassles and the looks of the car (confused hatchback trying to grow up). In petrol, XC40 doesn’t get talked about much, but it is the most fun relatively given lack of options. Q3 is way more refined and handles better, but the refinement also ensures you never feel that sporty kick.
Old 22nd July 2023, 00:00   #176
BHPian

To somewhat burst the enthusiast’s bubble, X1 has sold >1000 units in H1 2023 already being 20% of sales, with demand (pending deliveries) up 40% YoY. So Brand power+features seem to trump all the technical hullabaloo us enthusiasts are indulging in and thinking OEMs are out of their mind in launching such products. GLA petrol set the path with the driving pleasure brand following suit. Happy to be owner of less featured but solid older vehicle before they all get “Kia-ed”!

https://www.carwale.com/news/bmw-ind...ts-in-h1-2023/
Lux_Noob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 05:24   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_Noob View Post
To somewhat burst the enthusiast’s bubble, X1 has sold >1000 units in H1 2023 already being 20% of sales, with demand (pending deliveries) up 40% YoY. So Brand power+features seem to trump all the technical hullabaloo us enthusiasts are indulging in and thinking OEMs are out of their mind in launching such products.
It is as fascinating as it is inexplicable. Looks like the argument on value has been thrown out of the window. The average Indian luxury car customer just wants the brand for brand's sake, it appears. If the X1 remains the highest selling luxury SUV, I hesitate to think what's next. Maybe, a 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder engine next?

Last edited by Pyrotek : 22nd July 2023 at 05:30.
Old 27th July 2023, 05:16   #178
BHPian

Spotted this in one of the video reviews online. Why would BMW approve of such quality!

Next-gen BMW X1, now launched at 45.90 lakhs!-img_9917.jpeg
adi58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:27   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Spotted this in one of the video reviews online. Why would BMW approve of such quality!

Attachment 2482317
Eeeks! but looks as if it was opened up clumsily aftermarket. Cannot be a factory finish (I hope!)
Old 27th July 2023, 14:20   #180
BHPian

I had a friend looking for an entry level luxury car and had the opportunity to drive the X1 18d as well as a Q3 alongside him. I have had a GLA 220d 4 Matic for more than a year now and this drive gave me a good feel on how the X1 stacked up vs my GLA and this is a perspective from a GLA owner.

Styling
I prefer the X1's exterior design language over the GLA's. The X1 looked larger, well proportioned and more SUV like than the GLA which is smalli-sh, curvy and hatchback-like.

Interiors
The interiors of the new X1 felt special and I liked the lighter interior. It felt more spacious than the all black interior in the GLA and the feel of the leather in the X1 is better than the Artico leather in the Mercedes. The HK sound system also sounded better in the X1 vs the GLA (non-burmester).

But in many ways the GLA can hold its candle to the X1 and still feels like a great place to be in even after a year. For me the lack of physical buttons in the X1 was a bummer as I have been so used to the physical buttons for the climate control. Also the A/C blower was noticeably more audible in the X1 than in the GLA at the similar fan speed levels.

Driving Experience
It wasn't a long drive in the X1 but we managed 8-9km covering a long stretch, narrow streets, a couple of corners and a drive up our level 1 parking ramp. I am used to the same route driving my GLA so could derive comparison in a similar environment.

In isolation the X1 did the job well and the power never felt inadequate. The X1 was more silent in lower revs with no perceptible lag and power delivery felt linear and the DCT was smooth shifting finding the right gear always. The steering was light yet connected and it was easy to punt around town. The GLA's powertrain is louder on startup and the pitter patter is a little more audible in the lower revs. At slow speeds, in the eco and comfort mode, the DCT in the GLA tends to toy around with gears more than the X1.

But get going and the experience gets much more entertaining in the GLA. In the sport mode, the 4Matic splits power 70:30 and launches the car with zero wheel spin from stand still. The DCT is a lot more precise with gears and engine-brakes while holding on to higher revs on the go. Steering is tight and precise and the car pulls relentlessly like a locomotive. This combination can put a smile on many faces which I could not get the X1 to do.

Features
There is a lot of focus in the reviews on the various features that is offered in these high end cars. Feature to feature, both cars are equipped to the brim with L1 ADAS, Reverse Parking and the works. Whichever car you choose, you are never short on features that you can flaunt. But as always features that genuinely add convenience are given a miss in both cars. A 360 degree camera and ventilated seats would have been great to have.

An owner’s opinion on the catalog of features after a year: while the long list of features entice us when we buy the car, it is only a few that are practical on a daily basis. With us always plugging into Android Auto or Carplay, Navigation or the onboard music or the car info never are never used. It’s always Google maps, Spotify and Carstream and as long as you have a high resolution screen with smartphone support and a great sounding ICE, you should be good.

Warranty
BMW offers a 2 year comprehensive warranty on the X1 extendable to 5 years at additional cost.
Mercedes offers a 3 year comprehensive warranty and a 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine and gearbox on the GLA. The 3 year warranty is extendable to 7 years at additional cost (~72k).

A GLA owners take
At the asking price of 60+L, a car has to tug the heart strings which is why you’d buy a BMW in the 1st place. That’s why the 330i was such as great buy when it was still available.

The X1 with the 20d spec powertrain and X-drive would have been a no brainer for me vs the GLA 220d 4Matic if BMW had offered it and at a similar price point. It would have been apples to apples and the X1 20d X-Drive would have been the better apple.

While the X1 18d is a competent car and it betters the GLA in minor ways, the fact that a 2023 Kia Seltos, a car that costs a little more than a third of the X1, can keep up with it on the road and better it in features is a hard pill to swallow.

In comparison, the GLA 220d or the Q3 45TSI would be far more entertaining on the road and that alone will be enough for some to skip this version of the BMW X1.

PS: He picked up an Audi Q3 CBU finally as it was offered at 52L on the road.
clementj is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks