Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 15:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen BMW X1, now launched at 45.90 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux_Noob View Post
Then there would be very little reason to buy Q5!
Wouldn't the better platform, more space and other features be enough? Bmw used the same 20d tune for everything from their X1, 320d, 520d, 620d etc but I don't think any 6 series customer would decide to buy an X1 because it made the same power?
Old 10th September 2023, 16:30   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Wouldn't the better platform, more space and other features be enough? Bmw used the same 20d tune for everything from their X1, 320d, 520d, 620d etc but I don't think any 6 series customer would decide to buy an X1 because it made the same power?
I had the opportunity to do a long TD of the Q5 (from Mumbai to Karjat) and posted my comments on comparison with Q3 somewhere else on this forum. I found the Q3 drive to be better overall, barring the peak pedal press where the Q5 threw me back in the seat like Q3 never does (I own the current gen). Hence the comments above. The “platform” is authentic Audi vs the shared MQB in Q3, which may have some long term implications (positive and negative) which I do not know. There is definitely a higher prestige value in Q5 not being the entry level Audi and it has more space, so all that but a 45 TFSI Q3 vs 45 TFSI Q5, the former is a better car IMO from a core drive/comfort perspective.
I had also seen service value package prices between the two and the Q5 was a fair bit more expensive which may agin be attributed to Q3 sharing some cheaper parts with VW cars.
Old 10th September 2023, 18:20   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
You are absolutely correct in your assessment. You may not spend 20 lakhs more for the same wine in a fancier bottle, but the companies have ample amount of customers, where brand value rules over everything else. And since bikta hai toh woh bech rahe hain.

Take for eg the iPhone vs let's say a phone in 40K bracket.
Most of the people use the iPhone for Instgram and web browsing. But they will never downgrade to a phone despite other lower priced phones offering far more at a lower price point. The price of a Louis Vuitton bag is not of the bag but the brand and as humans we are in a race of "I am higher than you in the hierarchy of the world" which the brand communicates. Same goes for luxury watches. A 5 Lakh ruppe Grand Seiko won't tell teh time any different from a 2000 Rs Casio. Brands know this and they milk us. And people have ample money to burn. That's just how it is. Cheers.
Fully agree with you, but my point was to highlight the unique differences in hierarchy between Indian and other markets. Kudos to the marketing teams at these companies. But cars are a little more complicated than watches and bags as an analogy.

For example, if one judges hierarchy solely by pricing then apparently a BMW 2 Series in India is more valuable and desirable than a Superb and a Kodiaq even, and all BMW has to do is find 100 buyers a month to buy into this story. Whereas world over no one buys this story therefore, a 2 series is the cheapest of the 3. I just find it all very interesting how the Indian market is.

More than anyhing else, Audi/Merc/BMW might have found themselves in a place where selling 10000 cars a year each at hyper inflated prices is as profitable as selling, say, 15000-20000 at more reasonable prices in line with similar CKD cars, so it's better for them to pretend and market themselves as 'a segment far above' and try and create a hierarchy which just enough goods Indians will buy into. That's great marketing.

In the long run, this might backfire - i see people warming up to 50-60 lac Hyundai's, especially the electrics. Remember, most people spending 50 lacs end up buying a fortuner and not these luxury cars. So this 'hierarchy' they are riding on (atleast for the X1 category of cars) is an anomaly in India, not the general rule worldwide.

Last edited by Fiero : 10th September 2023 at 18:32.
Old 24th September 2023, 20:59   #199
BHPian

Hooked to “carnography”, I can’t get enough of the videos about cars even after having purchased my dream one, with car comparison category especially addictive! Anyway, round 1 between the new X1 vs the new (?) Q3 goes to the former even on driveability. I have not driven the new X1 (didn’t even wait for it after learning the engine specs) but I found even the more powerful previous gen X1 to be less good than Q3, so I disagree with the journalist but heck, can’t wait to see more comparison videos, hopefully with GLA and XC40 thrown in the mix
Lux_Noob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 16:29   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=th6DU-Ekbqw

Hooked to “carnography”, I can’t get enough of the videos about cars even after having purchased my dream one, with car comparison category especially addictive! Anyway, round 1 between the new X1 vs the new (?) Q3 goes to the former even on driveability. I have not driven the new X1 (didn’t even wait for it after learning the engine specs) but I found even the more powerful previous gen X1 to be less good than Q3, so I disagree with the journalist but heck, can’t wait to see more comparison videos, hopefully with GLA and XC40 thrown in the mix
The cardinal rule of the mainstream car news magazines and associated channels is - always give the new entrant the victory when comparing with existing competitors. You.will find this is true 95% of the time of you analyse all car comparison tests across the years coming from these magazines such as Autocar, Overdrive, EVO India etc. Not surprising as support for conducting these tests comes from the launch budgets of the newer car.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 23:44   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The cardinal rule of the mainstream car news magazines and associated channels is - always give the new entrant the victory when comparing with existing competitors. You.will find this is true 95% of the time of you analyse all car comparison tests across the years coming from these magazines such as Autocar, Overdrive, EVO India etc. Not surprising as support for conducting these tests comes from the launch budgets of the newer car.
Agreed. Though I must admit that the Aam junta has voted with their feet in favour of the X1 over Q3. Apart from my own, I have sighted another Q3 only twice since my purchase, while X1 sightings are 5-6x even with a later launch. The official numbers also suggest the same. Maybe enthusiasts like here on T-BHP are not being practical in choosing features and premium feel over power which is barely used in city driving conditions. My avg. speed on daily commute is ~20 kmph, so does 190 hp etc. really matter? All said, I will make the same choice again
Old 26th September 2023, 10:20   #202
BHPian

For folks like me, who wanted to pick up something like an x3, but being in Bangalore and being cramped for road space and having limited parking space, I was forced to look at something that was a little compact as primarily the vehicle was to be driven by the mrs. and was supposed to do badminton classes, this class that class run..
Being a Jetta (manual) owner, the first choice was the Q3, but, when I sat in the car, the front seats felt similar to the jetta (if not inferior) at best, the rear was cramped, it wasn't the legroom, but the seats and the overall contour of the roof etc.. However, the x1 stood out in this very aspect, the seats were much more comfortable and loading things into the boot was much easier (for my wife).

I think, more than the prestige/status and all that statement, its the practicality that made the F48 series x1 a super success. The new gen x1, probably has bettered this and maybe that is why its pipping its nearest rival from Audi even after the former having literally lesser power than a Kia Sonet! Though I don't think anyone would decide picking up a vehicle in this compact suv segment on sheer performance (0-100 times), but still!!

My two cents!

Quote:

Last edited by manson : 30th September 2023 at 00:11. Reason: Typos.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 23:26   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

With the iX1 Msport launching on the 28th, those looking to get an X1 but worried about the gutless engines (and are open to an EV) have a treat coming. For not much more than than a IC 18i or 18d, you may be able to get your hands on a vehicle with more than twice the power and nearly twice the torque as an X1 18i. Other than the fact that it is electric, no real compromises. Almost same boot space and interior space. 313 hp, 494 NM torque, 0-100 in 5.7 seconds and 440km range. Although expected to be priced around 60.lakhs, given the zero road tax in many states, pricing-wise, it may come not far from an X1 18i MSport on road.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...mber-28-429395

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th September 2023 at 23:27.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 20:36   #204
BHPian

Quote:
With the iX1 Msport launching on the 28th, those looking to get an X1 but worried about the gutless engines (and are open to an EV) have a treat coming. For not much more than than a IC 18i or 18d, you may be able to get your hands on a vehicle with more than twice the power and nearly twice the torque as an X1 18i. Other than the fact that it is electric, no real compromises. Almost same boot space and interior space. 313 hp, 494 NM torque, 0-100 in 5.7 seconds and 440km range. Although expected to be priced around 60.lakhs, given the zero road tax in many states, pricing-wise, it may come not far from an X1 18i MSport on road.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...mber-28-429395
Fuel agnostically speaking, this will be THE car to buy in this segment given favourable taxation. Most power, most modern interiors, solid road presence. Volvo e-siblings would lose against this given poor rear seating and staid interiors. C40 is the best looking though.
Old 27th September 2023, 20:40   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I think, more than the prestige/status and all that statement, its the practicality that made the F48 series x1 a super success. The new gen x1, probably has bettered this and maybe that is why its pipping its nearest rival from Audi even after the former having literally lesser power than a Kia Sonet! Though I don't think anyone would decide picking up a vehicle in this compact suv segment on sheer performance (0-100 times), but still!!

My two cents!
While I would pick the previous gen X1 over the current one, the F48 did not have a great ride quality. On the road infested potholes (yes, that is the right way to describe it ) around where I live, I could discern on this issue without much confusion. Q3 along with XC40 have the best (fattest) tyre profile for our roads even before better suspension maybe.
Old 29th September 2023, 11:55   #206
BHPian

That I will completely agree with you, it sure has a very stiff ride quality. Even after ditching the RFT's, I still find the ride on the stiffer side for our road conditions.

Quote:
While I would pick the previous gen X1 over the current one, the F48 did not have a great ride quality. On the road infested potholes (yes, that is the right way to describe it ) around where I live, I could discern on this issue without much confusion. Q3 along with XC40 have the best (fattest) tyre profile for our roads even before better suspension maybe.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 12:44   #207
BHPian

I am so happy having got my X1 2.5 years back and not having to buy this X1 but would have been really tempted with the electric version.

Mod Note: Our BMW X1 Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2023 at 15:12. Reason: Link to review added
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks