Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 17:02   #16

Re: List all cars that are E20 and E20+ petrol compliant

Maruti Suzuki announced earlier that - "Maruti Suzuki is fully prepared to make its vehicles compatible with 20% ethanol blended fuel (E20) by March 2023; the E85 flex fuel engine is also in works."

Did any other auto-maker mention about supporting 20% ethanol blend ?

We were considering Brezza/Grand Vitara. But did not proceed with it, just because of uncertainty in E20 fuel support. Instead, we went for a smaller car for the time being, and will come back to above segment later an year, once this is sorted out.
ravikumar.neti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 18:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_lover View Post
Transitioning to E10 itself pan India is going to be extremely challenging due to molasses availability issues at sugar factories, and given climate change and other factors sugarcane crop production to meet E10 is doubtful.
Petrol sold pan India is E10 since 05 June 2022.

News Link:

Ethanol can also be made from rice, maize and crop residue (parali)

Govt has given target for E20 in metros from 01 April 2023 and PAN India from 01 April 2025.

Delhi petrol pumps already be dispensing E20 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Basically, they've thrown the ball in the owner's court. Use 20% blend at your own jurisdiction (risk) and switch back to 10% if not satisfied.
One thing that is known is reduced fuel efficiency with E20 petrol.

Affect on drivability is yet to be ascertained.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 10:19   #18
BHPian

Pardon me members and Admins, but isn't this thread supposed to provide the list of cars that can run on E20 grade fuel? Most of the opinions seem like discussion about lack of E20 fuel availablity and that the Government overlooking current situation etc. Isn't this quite deviating from actual discussion? Please do enlighten me if my observation is right/ wrong

I believe apart from Maruti Suzuki Cars, there should be cars from other brands as well, considering the proposal has been for around 2 years. Though I'm concerned about the current batch of BS4 and BS6 vehicles (2 wheelers and 4wheelers) if they run on E20 fuel.

And also because of this , one ought to postpone their purchase of cars/ save and buy EV.

Hope E10 fuel would be sold alongside as well until People upgrade from their BS4 vehicles in future, when need arises.
Gautham_v6 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 13:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautham_v6 View Post
Pardon me members and Admins, but isn't this thread supposed to provide the list of cars that can run on E20 grade fuel? Most of the opinions seem like discussion about lack of E20 fuel availablity and that the Government overlooking current situation etc. Isn't this quite deviating from actual discussion? Please do enlighten me if my observation is right/ wrong

I believe apart from Maruti Suzuki Cars, there should be cars from other brands as well, considering the proposal has been for around 2 years. Though I'm concerned about the current batch of BS4 and BS6 vehicles (2 wheelers and 4wheelers) if they run on E20 fuel.

And also because of this , one ought to postpone their purchase of cars/ save and buy EV.

Hope E10 fuel would be sold alongside as well until People upgrade from their BS4 vehicles in future, when need arises.
From my conversation within industry and some research, I believe there are currently no E20 compliant cars in the budget to Mid range PV segment in India. With BS6 phase 2 , E20 compliant engines should also make its entry into the market as per govt norms.

Hob'le Oil minister stated recently that E20 fuel is being supplied to 11 states on pilot basis starting Jan 1st week 2023 and planning phased roll out between 2023-2025. 2 ways to look at this statement 1. When there are no E20 compliant engines why are they even conducting this pilot 2. All cars starting April will be e20 compliant and hence they are starting the pilot couple of months early.
NJ_9 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:33   #20
BHPian

On the topic of E20 compliance, do we have any visibility in the 2 wheeler space? The March 2023 mandate to be material compliant doesn't look to be applicable to them, which is surprising, considering the huge sales volumes. Everywhere i read, the talk is on 2025 march compliance.
achats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 18:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Today when I went to refuel in COCO Indian oil pump at KR Puram Bangalore(below the bridge) I noticed that most of the guns were marked as either XP95 or E20 and there was only one gun meant for two wheelers with regular petrol which had long line.

I am not aware of E20 timelines so is it some sort of pilot project or are we seeing it roll out already ? My cars mostly sit idle unless I have long drives so I am skeptical of E20.
rajshenoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:14   #22
BHPian

Toyota senior executive claims all Toyota petrols in India can run on E20

https://www.v3cars.com/news/all-toyo...-e20-flex-fuel

While Mr. Hardeep Puri says no engine change is needed as per this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.bus...1001050_1.html

Og course no engine change is needed, till it ruins itself!

The new Hyundai i10 Nios is E20 ready!

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/find-a...RoCvuoQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th May 2023 at 23:10. Reason: Though old but still merging back to back posts. :)
lapis_lazuli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 22:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am not aware of E20 timelines so is it some sort of pilot project or are we seeing it roll out already ?
01 April 2023 - PAN India E20 Petrol.

So preparations have started.

Even a Reliance petrol pump had dispenser marked E20 but no stock yet.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:17   #24

Will 91 octane fuel dispensers still be functioning in 2025? I ask this due to the fact that the upcoming RDE compliant cars will be equipped with turbo petrols mostly and 95 octane fuels will probably be blended with more ethanol in the coming years.
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:19   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has updated its 1.2 and 1.5 NA petrol engines to be E20 compliant as well as BS 6.2 ready. This means that cars like the Grand i10 NIOS, i20, Sonet, Venue, Creta and Seltos, their NA petrol variants are now future proof.

Curiously, the 1.0 turbo petrol engine is now BS 6.2 ready but there is no word on E20 compliance.

The 1.4 turbo petrol is anyway going to discontinued and will be replaced by a 1.5 turbo. For existing customers of the 1.4, well, a direct injection turbo petrol being forced to run on E20, these cars will be troublesome to own in the long run.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 11:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
their NA petrol variants are now future proof.

Curiously, the 1.0 turbo petrol engine is now BS 6.2 ready but there is no word on E20 compliance.
Kindly cite the information source/web-link also please. It will serve as an useful reference for interested readers.

Maybe I will ask the mods to have a sticky post in the first page as a ready reckoner.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 00:05   #27

Quote:
Hyundai has updated its 1.2 and 1.5 NA petrol engines to be E20 compliant as well as BS 6.2 ready. This means that cars like the Grand i10 NIOS, i20, Sonet, Venue, Creta and Seltos, their NA petrol variants are now future proof.

The 1.4 turbo petrol is anyway going to discontinued and will be replaced by a 1.5 turbo. For existing customers of the 1.4, well, a direct injection turbo petrol being forced to run on E20, these cars will be troublesome to own in the long run.
Is this applicable to engines used in KIA cars?

I am looking to buy KIA Carens 1.4.
Please suggest, if I can go for it or plan for 1.5 NA.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th February 2023 at 01:37. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 4th February 2023, 08:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Kindly cite the information source/web-link also please. It will serve as an useful reference for interested readers.
There are entire dedicated threads covering the launches of the 2023 models of Creta, NIOS and Venue. You will find all details there, including the company issues press releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanufy View Post
Is this applicable to engines used in KIA cars?

I am looking to buy Carens 1.4 turbo
Steer clear of the 1.4 turbo petrol.

For tha Carens, the engine of choice is definitely the diesel, and paired with the TC automatic. Delivers good performance across conditions along with consistent fuel economy. The 1.5 NA is rather underwhelming. It is adequate if the car will mainly be used in the city. But it will struggle on the highways, especially with a full load.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th February 2023 at 08:49.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 09:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any word on E10 coexisting with E20? Aren't 90% of the cars on our roads non compatible with E20? I guess the E10 supplies should continue.

Also do we still have E0 available?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 4th February 2023 at 09:27.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 09:28   #30
BHPian

This is a most important thread, right now. Thanks Ron sir for starting it!

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/pm-...w/97588922.cms

E20 to be launched in Bengaluru on Monday, ahead of schedule (as per the linked article).

SIAM has stated that the industry is ready to meet the April 2023 deadlines on E20 compliance, but in the meantime keeping an eye out is important for new car buyers.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 4th February 2023 at 09:30.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed