Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 13:48   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
check out the video of the IDF AXE in this link

Well Mahindra is just the manufacturer of the IDF AXE (manufactured for the Israeli defence forces) and since the original vehicle is a LHD hence u can see that the Indian protos although RHD but have wipers set the LHD way...
Looks like its a Israeli design! May be our army got technology transfer from Israeli to produce it in India. Looks good though.

Any way i hope it wont become a clear symbol of oppression like the American Hummer is for the Iraqi terrorists. One can only hope it doesn't become a symbol to get targeted in.
Old 30th August 2007, 14:06   #107
BHPian

^^^ Actually the vehicle is currently manufactured and used in Israel by the Israeli Army...they sold the design and technology to MDS and hence MDS will manufacture it in India with a few cosmetic changes here and there like the front gril,headlamps and most important the conversion from LHD to RHD...
Israel dont manufacture the engines hence engines are outsourced from other vendors...actually the Indian AXE is a proto hence I dont think MDS actually has made any setup any agreements for engine vendors as of yet...that wud most likely be decided after the Indian Army approves the vehicle...I dont think the civilian version wud be lucky enough to get imported heart though....

I think there is a significant difference between the HUMVEE and the AXE...
AXE seems to be a much practical and advance vehicle than the HUMVEE and has some remarkable capabilities...
Moreover its tested by the real armies like Israel's and ours unlike the ones which uses the HUMVEE

Last edited by sabret00the : 30th August 2007 at 14:10.
Old 31st August 2007, 00:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

guy the axe was featured on the ndtv car and bike show and the host siddhart said mahindra is planning to launch a civilian model for it just like GM did with the hummer.
they have an international army order whose name they did not disclose. the order is of 250 units out of which 15 have been shipped.
i hope they do launch the civilian model soon, am very excited now.
Old 31st August 2007, 00:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Well, NDTV today showed a short feature on the AXE with a certain correspondent who speaks english that no one can understand.

But i suppose they will broadcast the detailed review in the weekend 'Car & Bike' feature.

Quote:
Mahindra has one potential customer ready right here. But why local engines for the civilian version?!! Go the entire mile and give us the 4 liter.
Initial versions will come with GE engines, is what i think. Mahindra engine will come later.
Old 31st August 2007, 00:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
guy the axe was featured on the ndtv car and bike show and the host siddhart said mahindra is planning to launch a civilian model for it just like GM did with the hummer.
they have an international army order whose name they did not disclose. the order is of 250 units out of which 15 have been shipped.
i hope they do launch the civilian model soon, am very excited now.
lol, that was some coincidence. The international order is for the Malaysian Army.

The truck does look very good save for the Scorpio Grill that they have stuck on the front. But I guess that can be pulled out easily and thrown away.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
lol, that was some coincidence. The international order is for the Malaysian Army.

The truck does look very good save for the Scorpio Grill that they have stuck on the front. But I guess that can be pulled out easily and thrown away.
coincidence for sure three minutes apart .
they did not name the country at all so cant comment on it. they are also in talks with other countries.
you have to wait and watch how the civilian model would look like. i dont like the scorpio grill too they should get a wire mesh grill, but i am sure there would be other changes made to the car as well. and most importantly the priceing of the car.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:31   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Any way i hope it wont become a clear symbol of oppression like the American Hummer is for the Iraqi terrorists.

I only wanted to post a smiley but the forum software doesn't let me do it
Old 31st August 2007, 01:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
l
ya even I hate the scorpio grill as a matter of fact I hate the grill so much that I cant stand the scorpio's design mostly due to its grill...anyways I think the wire mesh grill and the AXE logo of the Israeli version looks awesome..
Old 31st August 2007, 10:16   #114
BHPian

I really hope they don't pimp up the civilian version too much and loose out on the aggressive look of the Axe. Going by the way the Scorpio has evolved, Mahindra tends to add some over-the-top feminine touches to their designs. Like the almost pink floral design on the interior upholstery.

I would anyday take the crude rugged looks of the H1 compared to the H2 or H3.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:28   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thats it! I was right about the slush-box.

Mahindra has one potential customer ready right here. But why local engines for the civilian version?!! Go the entire mile and give us the 4 liter.

Saturday evening (1st September) at 9:30 PM CNBC Car and bike show will do a preview of this vehicle. I saw a snippet in which Siddharth Patankar driving this type of vehicle and providing his comments, hopefully he has some good information.

Good opportunity to see this vehicle first hand albiet on TV.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

This is really good news..

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 31st August 2007 at 14:27.
Old 31st August 2007, 14:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
I saw this article in Auto Edition of the Economic Times on 30082007. This answers lots of questions. I thought that ill share
it has details on all the specifications of the car, Chassis, Body, Dimensions etc

By harjeev, shot with HP Scanjet G3010 at 2007-08-31

Old 31st August 2007, 15:21   #118
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why Mahindra is so shy about revealing the identity of the "overseas designer".
Old 31st August 2007, 15:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Here's the link to a video of the "original" Israeli AXE:

חדשות nrg - ה"חיה הרעה" של היחידות המיוחדות

Another link to a web page where pics of the Israeli AXE appear:

IDF "Axe" vehicle - Military Photos

The design is foreign, the AXE name is foreign, the engine is foreign and yet Mahindra Defence Systems CEO claims "it has been developed totally indigenously".

I am keen to know what is Mahindra's contribution to this vehicle other than licensed manufacturing/fabrication.
Old 31st August 2007, 19:09   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Here's the link to a video of the "original" Israeli AXE:

חדשות nrg - ה"חיה הרעה" של היחידות המיוחדות

Another link to a web page where pics of the Israeli AXE appear:

IDF "Axe" vehicle - Military Photos

The design is foreign, the AXE name is foreign, the engine is foreign and yet Mahindra Defence Systems CEO claims "it has been developed totally indigenously".

I am keen to know what is Mahindra's contribution to this vehicle other than licensed manufacturing/fabrication.
check out the same questions I have about the originality about the AXE from this earlier post of mine...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks