Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh this is no brainer. Keep it! Your wish list is comprehensive, you will enjoy the car. The early 800s are pretty smart vehicles, no point throwing one away. Start a thread and keep us posted.
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:48   #47
BHPian

Sir,
Since you have cars for daily commute and space to park all of these, keep the old car.

Why I say this: I have a 87 MG410 1Ltr Gypsy and I have worked on this machine for a long time now. Inspite of speding a lakh +, every other month, I have to spend on something or the other and add to it and problem of sourcing the spares which are not available off the shelf. I travel more than 60 kms everyday in bangalore on this new looking, reworked, attention grabber machine which still is a bumpy ride from inside and I have no complaints and love it everyday.

Passion: If the idea of selling this car of yours was so simple, you would not have had a second thought and no put this discusion here on this forum. If you are having second thoughts, it is better to keep the car and rework on it. I guess this is what passion is all about. (I still posses my first cricket bat, the first Rs.10 note that my grandma gave me, my first payslip etc..)

Keep the car, share your experience of restoring the car. If you are replacing any part or the car, then please do not fix engine from A car, doors of B car, exhaust of C car...then it is not worth it. ALL THE BEST!!!
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:22   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Psycho, you are not allowed to give your opinion on this thread. You are an interested party here.
Haha! Well said Robin .
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. Nice thread and lots of opinions. Very close to me emotionally also since we had a similar car, which I was stupid enough to let go after having such a great time with it for 19 years.

Coming to your dilemna, there are mainly 2 factors which need to be weighed here - time and money. The money part is not a problem IMO for you and inspite of the breakup that you came up with, I am sure, the work should be done in lesser than the final amount you calculated.

Time is what is more crucial here. Do you have the time to spend on the restoration work, given your other engagements ? If Yes, I would say don't let her go. If not, sell her off.

And BTW, the current crop of M800s are no patch on the original. And I have driven them all enough to be able to say this with full conviction.
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Psycho, you are not allowed to give your opinion on this thread. You are an interested party here.
Interested or not but I love cars too, and yes the points that I put up also show the other side of perfection that Rudra demands. Trust me I know what he wants and how he like it. Damn it is scary .

I am more than willing to step down from being the interested party if that can help him look at both the sides of the coin(as though I need to tell him that).
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

If there was some sentimental linking with this car , I would have said ok. But, 1.2lac plus? ( 1.2lac estimate is an estimate which will jump that budget as its an estimate and you have made up your mind that I have 1.2lac for this car).

Sankar's car was sold for 40k (it was a 86 model ) and it was in excellent condition.

Maybe you can turbo it or sort, kind of one of a kind car which is old but performs damn great, kind of like Rudra
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Stuck between sentiments and practicality. I think you can sell to someone who will take good care of it.
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sell it to someone who will do justice to it, or turbo it.

Of course, our versions of justice may differ.
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

for the un emotional ones!!

This indeed is getting interesting.

@jkdas: I know Sankar's ex 800, this one in question is much more authentic and cleaner.

@all: Me (Jaggu) n my wife (Mee) had our first date in this car !!! Long story, but i also can claim some memories with this beauty.

my wife (mee) is out of country and now ol man wants to sell the lil car !!! Damn i hate this month already !!
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:45   #55
Team-BHP Support

Rudra sir,
Have gone through many of your posts, and i guess i have an idea of the care you give to your cars, and your respect for them.
Don't think i am qualified enough to give big suggestions here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@all: Me (Jaggu) n my wife (Mee) had our first date in this car !!! Long story, but i also can claim some memories with this beauty.
Then we have a buyer who is emotionally attached to the car!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd August 2007 at 23:47.
Old 3rd August 2007, 00:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And what I thought at the time I'd like to do with it.
Nice drawing Rtech. It's spelt as convertible, you know.
Old 3rd August 2007, 02:36   #57
BHPian

@ Sam Kasapi - you have sharp eyes!
@JKdas - that steering wheel in Rtechs art work, reminds of somones utterly small steering!

@RUDRA : sir i personally think its time you got rid of it, as it is for that special someone you shouldnt take any comprmises. you have 2 babies to look after, a 3rd will just slow you down ( i guess )

may the force be with you!

Last edited by xinome : 3rd August 2007 at 02:40.
Old 3rd August 2007, 09:41   #58
BHPian

I have this mail in one of the yahoo group.
Quote:
Hey guys,

I know this is slightly off topic. My Maruti 800 , not even a year done is up for sale.Thanks to the re-sale value I would approx be loosing 75K for it.I have done it up wit good lumar sunfilms , MP3 player JBL speakers etc.even a turbo fan!! I don't want to sell it to some dealer who would con some1 , rather i wish to sell it directly.let me know if any of your friends want it.

Regards
Srini - 9980911558
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Nice drawing Rtech. It's spelt as convertible, you know.
Somebody stop this yeti! I knew of english teachers in school that weren't so strict!
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:33   #60
BHPian

Rudra if you really planning to keep this car and willing to spend then make it look something different like you have done with the Amby.Like you said the car doesnt have an AC and you have fitted it with Aura alloys, this would be a better idea.Just a small input from my end.

Pics of the 800 converted into a convertible.

Cheers Ed..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks