Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2006, 22:50   #106
BHPian

Remote lock vs. Autocop etc.

Sorry if it is too late to post a query on a similar topic. If even Autocop is this useless, why are car manufacturers offering "Keyless entry with Answer Back" as a feature on the top-end models? Is this just a marketing gimmick? I know quite a few of my colleagues/friends who have just went ahead and replaced that with Autocop. So, what really is the value addition of this remote lock if it is almost always replaced?
Old 14th January 2006, 22:29   #107
BHPian

[
Quote:
quote=pmbabu]Sorry if it is too late to post a query on a similar topic. If even Autocop is this useless, why are car manufacturers offering "Keyless entry with Answer Back" as a feature on the top-end models? Is this just a marketing gimmick? I know quite a few of my colleagues/friends who have just went ahead and replaced that with Autocop. So, what really is the value addition of this remote lock if it is almost always replaced?
[/quote]

The best systems in the world has their advantages and problems as well. It all depends on how you look at it. Key less entries and Engine Demobilisers have more anti-theft properties. While they would prevent the theft of your vehicle, they cannot prevent the theft of your belongings in the car. Dread to think what would happen if you lost your keys in the middle of an Highway. The decoder could be inside the locked car.

While the Impact siren would alert you if anyone touches your car but the same features becomes a nuisance when it starts raining in the middle of the night and disturbs you. If the sensivity of the system is delicate it would beep even if a dried leaf fell on it, so much so that you may ignore the same beep when someone actual harms the car. No system is fool proof. The thieves also run their own R&D and no system could claim that it is the best.

Soccer.
Old 24th August 2006, 20:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
now my babe is secure but this word "impossible" does not exist for a car thief.

this is something best what u can think of.

Im interested in this option of installing engine imobilsers switches in older cars like santro's.. zens that have manual locking... installing the same seems inexpensive also ?
Old 21st December 2007, 14:27   #109
BHPian

After your post I checked with dealers and an encoder supplier co. called microchip. I am convinced that Autocop and all these type of security systems are not possible to break in as how you have described.

Common faults are we never check opening each and evry door after arming if it really sounds alarm and all the door open sensors are working properly.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:02   #110
BHPian

Other than Gear Lock and steering locks, separate kill switch can be used to disable the unauthorized starting of a car.

Connection from the Fuse box in the engine compartment -
-starter relay - car will not start but can be push started.
-mass air flow sensor. - Not too sure.
-ecm power on - car just wont start.
-fuel pump power - car may start coz of fuel present in the intake but will shut off in 2-3 secs.

connection in the starter motor
-hidden switch to disable the starter - starter solenoid

-connection in the ignition key lock to a hidden switch. - but this is very tricky and NOT a DIY.

The cut out / Kill Switch can be placed in a hidden spot accessible to the driver.

Wires used should be of higher grade than the Battery amp and Volts.

Hope this helps.

UM
Old 14th November 2008, 14:37   #111
Senior - BHPian

why not a stealth(suitably camouflaged) GPS car tracker
Old 14th November 2008, 15:38   #112
BHPian

GPS car trackers are expensive but very effective. - hope fully its not detected.

Kill switch is a cheap option - can be under 100rs and be done by any electrician.

another security measure - Hood Lock to keep thieves away from the fuse box and security system of the car .

Dhruv.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:25   #113
BHPian

Interestingly if you look at the autocop xs security system's box, its written "With anti scanning and anti something technology"!
I have a feeling they are being made in some local factory in delhi or somewhere.
Old 21st April 2009, 05:09   #114
BHPian

Well, the gearlock is safer..atleast takes more time to break...I have diabled my auto cop myself plenty of times and takes seconds (You need to have the key!!! I am not a car jacker!!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks