Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 11:53   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Swift Sport Coming to India: Edit: Or probably not!

This would have been an import by one of the component manufacturers(radar) with all the extra equipment rigged up so that they could carry out testing here. Since the time India has relaxed rules for usage of radar for automotive applications, we have seen a lot of these imports since companies which provide development or testing support for such components no longer have to travel abroad for accessing the component on the vehicle.

Hence we see some Toyotas which have been imported by Continental, and have got nothing to do with the manufacturer itself. Similarly, this Swift would have mostly nothing to do with Maruti Suzuki.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 07:33   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Maruti seriously thinking of launching this hot hatch in India?

Will it take the CBU route now, before launching the next gen. localized Swift Sport in India?

Is Maruti planning to bring(back) the boosterjet engine(1.4/1.0) to India?

New Maruti Swift Sport Spied In Pune – On Test By ARAI

Quote:
The rear end of the hatchback can be seen in this image, with the Swift Sport badge. In fact, the rear windshield has a sticker – ‘On Test By ARAI’. This further strengthens the possibility of the launch of Swift Sport in the country.
Name:  marutiswiftsportspiedindialaunchprice8696x583.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  marutiswiftsportspiedindialaunchprice7696x546.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  66.6 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th April 2022 at 08:02.
volkman10 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Weird that even the badge has not been masked, what are they thinking no one knows!

Had the Baleno RS been successful, we would have had more chance of getting this, but let's hope for the best.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2022 at 19:18. Reason: Typo
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:56   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Weird that even the badge has not been masked, what are they thinking no one knows!
To be honest that's probably true, unless you're a pretty well versed car enthusiast the average Indian motorist would take one look at this and think it's just a normal swift with a bodykit and a "Sports" badge. Even if the test driver decided to have some fun and floor it we have seen a lot swift's with FFE's over the years so that also has been fairly normalized.

With the absence of the Polo GT the i20 N-Line is the only "hot hatch" on the market with 120hp (which is slower than the now discontinued Polo GT). This car will be a welcome addition to the Indian market and should sell well (if priced and marketed properly). Plus if it does well enough we might even get a locally produced next generation Swift Sport which is rumored to make a combined 150hp from a proper hybrid powertrain (127hp Petrol engine + 23hp Electric motor)

Quote:
I don't want to get my hopes up, all I can do right now is hope and pray to the hot hatch gods.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 28th April 2022 at 10:59.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:46   #65
BHPian

5 years back I would've been jumping at this scoop. But now, just can't get over the Swift's poor safety, no matter how exciting or feature-rich it becomes.
batladanny is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Holy crap! This would be cool if it makes it to India. I believe Maruti would import this as CKDs in limited numbers so as to check for demand and might bring production of the next gen Swift Sport here if demand is good.

And tbh, Maruti really needs such models as they were known by their enthusiast friendly image a few years ago and literally have no enthusiast focused models on sale right now except Ignis and Swift (Even those lack when compared to older Marutis!) This, the Jimny and a 140-150hp midsize SUV (Not with that 6 speed AT which takes the XL6 to 100 in 18 seconds!) would really make up for the lost image.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th April 2022 at 10:26. Reason: Rule #2.
theAutomaniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:20   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
And tbh, Maruti really needs such models as they were known by their enthusiast friendly image a few years ago and literally have no enthusiast focused models on sale right now except Ignis and Swift (Even those lack when compared to older Marutis!) This, the Jimny and a 140-150hp midsize SUV (Not with that 6 speed AT which takes the XL6 to 100 in 18 seconds!) would really make up for the lost image.
Agree. To make the enthusiasts happy, Maruti can:

1. Bring Jimny.
2. Bring Jimny.
3. Bring the 1.4L Boosterjet engines in their cars - from Swift to Brezza to Scross to Jimny. Even a 1.2L Boosterjet with 120BHP should do.
4. More use of high-tensile and extra-high-tensile steel

Won't ask for 6-speed manual or 6-AT. We know what they have done in XL6 with 6-AT.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th April 2022 at 12:28.
romeomidhun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:46   #68
BHPian

Maruti so far has played it very safe and I doubt they will change there spots so quickly.
Just like the Toyota Yaris this too is probably just testing components.
Old 28th April 2022, 13:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

A few years back this would have blown everything out of the market but now with most mainstream cars pushing 150hp, this is just not all that exciting.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 15:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

I dont mind if they make it a premium hot-hatch launch with a proper AT, active and passive safety features through the Nexa channel. It would be a welcome addition to the multitude of plain-jane cars they currently have which are only designed to stretch every drop of petrol.
Old 28th April 2022, 15:16   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
A few years back this would have blown everything out of the market but now with most mainstream cars pushing 150hp, this is just not all that exciting.
Eh I wouldn't discount the Swift Sport, 150hp seems like a normal number these days but you have the remember that the Swift Sport only weighs only 970kg while other hatchbacks in this segment (discontinued Polo GT 1.0 and i20 N-Line) weigh around 1100kg.

And the cars making 150hp are SUV's and Sedans which are heavier cars in general, some examples - Slavia/Virtus 1.5L 1250-1300kg, Kushaq/Taigun 1.5L 1300kg, Creta Turbo/Seltos GTX 1.4L 1300-1350kg (approximately), Thar Petrol 1750kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batladanny View Post
5 years back I would've been jumping at this scoop. But now, just can't get over the Swift's poor safety, no matter how exciting or feature-rich it becomes.
If the Swift Sport comes to India we are most likely getting the Euro spec model or maybe the Japan/Australia spec model, both of them are quite safe compared to the Indian swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Holy crap! This would be cool AF if it makes it to India. This, the Jimny and a 140-150hp midsize SUV (Not with that 6 speed AT which takes the XL6 to 100 in 18 seconds!) would really make up for the lost image.
I agree, Suzuki tried to bring faster and more enthusiast friendly cars in the past (Kizashi, XL7, Grand Vitara) but were shunned off the market as not many people were willing to pay 18-20lakh for a car back in those days let alone for a Suzuki badge. But they have a better chance now, the 10-20 lakh segment is arguably the hottest segment in the market right now which is where the Jimny, the Swift Sport and the 150hp midsize SUV will fall in.

The Swift Sport can fill the void left by the Polo GT in the hot hatch segment and the 130hp (current gen) and 150hp (Next gen scheduled for 2023) power figures will most likely make VW step up their power figures as well with the next gen Polo GT and a cheaper, smaller alternative to the Thar from Maruti Suzuki of all brands should do pretty well, especially given how a Jimny can keep up with a 270hp Wrangler Rubicon and a 585hp G63 AMG on an off road course (see video below)

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 28th April 2022 at 15:17.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 16:53   #72
BHPian

Suzuki will bring in Sport variants in the 15-20L price bracket but in due course of time once there is acceptability of their products in the 10-20L bkt like the XL6 refresh, S Cross Replacement, etc. Once the customer gets in to its mindset that Suzuki cars are worth 10L and above, then Sports variants make sense. As if today, I do not think Suzuki has any intention of bringing Swift Sports to India.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 22:03   #73
BHPian

Considering the MSL strategy, this might just be a limited edition sports version with just the sports kit without any modifications to the Engine
autocratic1107 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 22:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Suzuki will bring in Sport variants in the 15-20L price bracket but in due course of time once there is acceptability of their products in the 10-20L bkt like the XL6 refresh, S Cross Replacement, etc. Once the customer gets in to its mindset that Suzuki cars are worth 10L and above, then Sports variants make sense. As if today, I do not think Suzuki has any intention of bringing Swift Sports to India.
If they bring the international version with no dilution, i feel people will buy them. In limited numbers but they will even if it is a CBU with reasonable premium over the landing costs. There is much more awareness, desire as well as roads and disposable income. I feel this awareness is also why the target customers spot 'fakes' if I were to call them so. N-Line flopped cause it's no better than a change of clothes. Polo GT was the real deal but VW got greedy! Wish this one lands here and MSIL doesn't do a VW.
Old 28th April 2022, 23:50   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Will it take the CBU route now, before launching the next gen. localized Swift Sport in India?

Is Maruti planning to bring(back) the boosterjet engine(1.4/1.0) to India?

Unlikely, that the Swift Sport is going to be launched in India. To me it looks more like component testing majorly of the engine. What are the odds of the Boosterjet engine powering the YFG-D22 twins? A turbo-petrol and hybrid will make those mid-sized SUVs a very interesting proposition!

Notice the similarity in this picture, same plates as seen on the Swift Sport:

Suzuki Swift Sport Coming to India: Edit: Or probably not!-rav4.jpg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 29th April 2022 at 00:10.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks