Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:06   #76
BANNED

How much difference in FE are we talking here?
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
How much difference in FE are we talking here?
Palio 1.6 - 9-10kmpl
Swift 1.3(uses the same engine which is coming in the Palio) - 15-16kmpl

Cost of Petrol - 50
Cost of Diesel - 35
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:27   #78
BANNED

I own a Swift VXi (Petrol) and most of my driving has been on National Highways. I absolutely love her engine! She puts out 87 horses and is able to deliver 15-16 kmpl. Not bad, eh!
I am looking to get the Palio 1.6 Stile, but the FE is a bit of a concern to me. If the new 1.3 MJD is equipped with the same engine that is present in the Swift, that's great. But then, she would deliver only 75 horses, as opposed to 87 on the Swift and a 100 on the 1.6.
Whaddaya' think?

Also, how much of a hassle is it, maintaining a diesel vehicle, considering the fact that most of my driving would be on the highways, and seldom within the city.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Drive all cars first.

Quote:
I own a Swift VXi (Petrol) and most of my driving has been on National Highways. I absolutely love her engine! She puts out 87 horses and is able to deliver 15-16 kmpl. Not bad, eh!
I am looking to get the Palio 1.6 Stile, but the FE is a bit of a concern to me. If the new 1.3 MJD is equipped with the same engine that is present in the Swift, that's great. But then, she would deliver only 75 horses, as opposed to 87 on the Swift and a 100 on the 1.6.
Whaddaya' think?

Also, how much of a hassle is it, maintaining a diesel vehicle, considering the fact that most of my driving would be on the highways, and seldom within the city.
You get 15-16 on highways, the figure i qouted was for City, Palio 1.6 will give around same figures on the highways, however the Swift D will give 20+

87 horses and 113NM
100 horses and 140NM
75 horses and 190NM

What does the figure suggest, drive all of them and you will seriously be shocked.

Maintaining a diesel vehicle is not tough, as the new gen Common Rail Engine's are almost like petrols when it comes to maintaince, i suggest you drive the Swift Diesel, its more Fun To Drive then the Swift Petrol by a mile. Power is not everything, Torque is

Quote:
Also, would anyone have an idea on the maximum speed of the 1.3L MJD?

@BUSA : Is the Swift diesel equipped with the Multi Jet Diesel engine that's coming in the new 1.3s?
Top Speed - 160 according to magazines, but some bhpians have taken it to 80(speedo read) Yes its the same engine, the Engine of the year 2005 Multi Jet.

Last edited by BUSA : 3rd January 2008 at 00:36.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:32   #80
BANNED

Also, would anyone have an idea on the maximum speed of the 1.3L MJD?

@BUSA : Is the Swift diesel equipped with the Multi Jet Diesel engine that's coming in the new 1.3s?
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:37   #81
BANNED

Are you suggesting that FE of the new 1.3L MJD will be as much (if not higher) than the Swift diesel?
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you suggesting that FE of the new 1.3L MJD will be as much (if not higher) than the Swift diesel?
Certainly yes, the diesel Palio should average around what the Swift does even though its a tad heavier.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:51   #83
BANNED

Pardon my ignorance here, but I always thought hp is what primarily determines the power of the vehicle. So, higher the torque, greater the power, despite what their respective hps are?

If this is correct, then the Swift diesel can outrun the Palio 1.6 Stile, yeah?
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance here, but I always thought hp is what primarily determines the power of the vehicle. So, higher the torque, greater the power, despite what their respective hps are?

Diesel being diesel, torque would taper off pretty early. So, I doubt if Swift Dsl could outrun 1.6 Stile. In the in-gear acceleration, the dsl would trump the Stile I guess.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:57   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No, no, hp determins the power, but higher the torque greater the power is not at all true.

The Palio Stile 1.6 will be faster then the Swift, like i said drive all of them and you will know what i am saying.

Anyways we are going way off topic, so start a new thread to discuss about these, maybe in the what car section
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:58   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No! That job is best left to the Getz CRDi.
Old 3rd January 2008, 05:12   #87
BHPian

When we are talking about the power figures of cars, we are talking of the maximum power which their engines can produce.

A car with a lower maximum power figure can outgun one which is more powerful, if the torque of the lower powered engine is better. The reason is that in real world conditions, it is not possible to more the car off the block from the rpm at whcih the peak power is produced. Instead, we go through the gears, and the rpms from idle to max power rpm.

In such a scenario, the car which has a greater area under the power curve can outrun the higher bhp car, all other things such as wind resistence, weight etc being equal or comaprable.

A higher torque at low rpm would ensure that the area under the power curve is higher, whcih is what actually matters.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
Air bag+ABS+Defogger+15" alloys
What else due,all these for 5lac??
the palio already comes with the latter two, i doubt why they wont launch the former two as well if they are sensible enough to rout the competition. if they do launch it, i d buy it for sure since i have added protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
When we are talking about the power figures of cars, we are talking of the maximum power which their engines can produce.

A car with a lower maximum power figure can outgun one which is more powerful, if the torque of the lower powered engine is better. The reason is that in real world conditions, it is not possible to more the car off the block from the rpm at whcih the peak power is produced. Instead, we go through the gears, and the rpms from idle to max power rpm.

In such a scenario, the car which has a greater area under the power curve can outrun the higher bhp car, all other things such as wind resistence, weight etc being equal or comaprable.

A higher torque at low rpm would ensure that the area under the power curve is higher, whcih is what actually matters.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:09   #89
BHPian

Will there be any difference between the engine that is going to be plonked in Palio versus the one that is already present in Swift?

What happens when this is put into the new Indica? We are going to have at least 3 cars soon with the same engine, but will Fiat/Tata use the same ECU as is being used by Maruti. Maruti also uses the Magneti Marelli manufuctured ones.

It will be great if the 90bhp version is available as an option on the Palio.
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I don't see a point of placing a new engine between a 1.2 and 1.6. I think this introduction is purely to compete with Swift and Getz.

Now, Palio will have 1.1,1.2, 1.3 and 1.6. Shouldn't they be thinking of filling the gaps?
Fiat's current lineup is 1.1 and 1.6 petrol. a 1.3D will compete head on with swift and getz. The indica (IMHO) does not command the image to compete agsint the sporty DDIS or the Getz. Hence, Tata's taking the image from fiat to position something in that gap.

I would think that if the Palio 1.3 picks up, Tata should phase out the Indica, and have just entry level versions like the IndiCab. This way - they can compete (with their entire bouquet of cars from Fiat as well) in the 2-3L, 3-5L, 5-6L and 8L range - with the IndiCab, 1.1, 1.3, Indigo and GP/Liena
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks