Senior - BHPian

Comparing it with maruti 800

Overall length 3335 mm
Overall width 1440 mm
Overall height 1405 mm
Wheelbase 2175 mm
Minimum turning radius 4.4 m
Ground clearance 170 mm

Last edited by srishiva : 10th January 2008 at 16:26.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:26   #363
Senior - BHPian

Great car and for that price people will lap it up. Also its not a bad looker so looks are not a reason you should not buy the car. The website where you can customise your car is good and i got myself a nice Nano.
Mr Ratan Tata kudos to you and your team. You guys deserve a standing ovation and will be remembered as the people who changed the publics mentality
Old 10th January 2008, 16:34   #364
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
I'm sure this will effect the 2 wheeler sales, especially scooters like Active, Kinetic and scooty. Many working women and elderly people may opt for Nano as it is safer than scooters.
Not just safety, it will provide room for shopping and personal articles, plus there is AC which is very important unless you want to get drenched in sweat while commuting (particularly in summers). The diesel can't come soon enough.

Is it just me or is there a battery compartment under the driver's seat?! And I am not sure about outside visibility as well, the cave in place of instrument cluster is massive.

Old 10th January 2008, 16:34   #365
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
My experience is that the M800 doesn't go much beyond 90kmph especially if there are a few km on the odo. But you still see it on highways. I would be surprised if I don't see the Nano on the highways, especially in the Indian context. With the low running costs, short trips of about 200 km for 4 people could be a possibility
Yes, that is also my fear. This is India and you just cannot stop Indians from taking this car out on the highway, especially given its expected FE of 20+ km/l. I sincerely hope it is banned from the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Otherwise there is a real danger of the Mumbai-Pune route being flooded with these cars chugging along at 60-70 kmph. On the Expressway we are going to see these cars doing such speeds on the middle and right lanes. They will likely be overtaken by many lorries, leave alone buses and cars.

The M800 can do a top speed of ~130 kmph. I have done 125 on my previous 1995 model M800 (carb). Its engine is really sturdy, and never gets overheated even with prolonged hill driving or high-speed driving. I wonder if (but sincerely hope that) the Nano's 623 cc engine can match that.

Despite these concerns, I think we are about to witness the first real revolution in the Indian car scene since the M800 came along in the 1980's.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:39   #366
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Not just safety, it will provide room for shopping and personal articles, plus there is AC which is very important unless you want to get drenched in sweat while commuting (particularly in summers). The diesel can't come soon enough.

Is it just me or is there a battery compartment under the driver's seat?! And I am not sure about outside visibility as well, the cave in place of instrument cluster is massive.
May I add that you also get away from pollution and dust in this small enclosure. So time to quite jackets/ overcoats which we have to wear in cities in Pune/ Bangalore
Old 10th January 2008, 16:45   #367
BHPian

This is definitely a better option for smal families. The who are riding a bike with wife and two kids can switch over to this nano. 4 wheels are safer than 2 wheels
Old 10th January 2008, 16:47   #368
BHPian

The car looks beautiful and am really glad (hope) that we will soon stop seeing an entire family of 4 perched dangerously on a scooter.

Hats off to TATA's - they walked the talk.

Ram
Old 10th January 2008, 16:49   #369
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
A few observations:
1. The car has independant front suspension
2. The rear configuration (differential) looks very much like the Bajaj Ricks
3. The relative positioning of the seat Vs dashboard seems worse than the Indica. Visibility will be hampered for short people.
Another thought occured. I hope that the car performs well in the Elk and slalom tests. With the high stance, handling expecially at speeds near to 90 kmph should be looked at. If they have a hard suspension to take care of this, then combined with the small tyres, ride quality might suffer.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:56   #370
BHPian

Friends, I for one have to accept that this is a great contribution to the automotive community.

See what our neighbors have been able to achieve in the same price bracket

Sitara

Please go through the specs of this car you would notice that for the same price range they get 200cc, single cylinder engine car (??) with a top speed of 60km/h. Whereas we get a 2 cylinder 624cc with a top speed of 105 ~ 110km/h (as per the wikipedia website) with disc brakes up front.

This my friends I would consider an astonishing achievement.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:11   #371
BHPian

Now that is a really wonderful Job done by the Tata's. And a beautiful name also.

For a price difference of less than Rs.20,000 compared with the cheapest Bajaj Auto RE 2S. Nano looks like a steal.

We may see quite a lot of these as taxi's if the running costs are low. I would prefer Nano replacing those auto's for sure.

P.S: from my friend who worked with Tata motors in the past I heard that they are going to go for a new dealerships.
Once aging Great work done by tata's.

Last edited by indian21r : 10th January 2008 at 17:14. Reason: Typo
Old 10th January 2008, 17:17   #372
BHPian

wish it replaces auto-rickshaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Now that is a really wonderful Job done by the Tata's. And a beautiful name also.

For a price difference of less than Rs.20,000 compared with the cheapest Bajaj Auto RE 2S. Nano looks like a steal.

We may see quite a lot of these as taxi's if the running costs are low. I would prefer Nano replacing those auto's for sure.

P.S: from my friend who worked with Tata motors in the past I heard that they are going to go for a new dealerships.
Once aging Great work done by tata's.
I also hope they replace the auto-rickshaws for three reasons, autos make noise, give out smoke and can turn 360 degrees anywhere. With this car, they cannot do either of these.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:17   #373
Senior - BHPian

Industry reaction (from Reuters)

Following are comments on the car from industry executives (source:Industry reactions to Tata's new Nano car | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters)

JAGDISH KHATTAR, FORMER MANAGING DIRECTOR, MARUTI SUZUKI:
"The car is good to look at. There is a space in the market between two-wheelers and the 800 (Maruti's small car). It will be a success if they deliver what they promised. And I see no reason why they can't."

RAMESH SURI, CHAIRMAN, SUBROS:
"The best thing is that they have kept the price at levels promised at concept stage. It is good to look at. I can't say about the driving experience as I have not taken a trial."

SHINZO NAKANISHI, MANAGING DIRECTOR OF MARUTI SUZUKI INDIA LTD (speaking before the unveiling): "We cannot make a cheaper car. We don't know how to make a 1-lakh car unless we sacrifice something. We won't go below the 800 in our product line-up."
Maruti Suzuki's mini 800, priced at nearly double the Tata car, was the cheapest in the market. Asked about the impact of the Tata car on Maruti's sales, Nakanishi said: "There may be some impact."

ANAND MAHINDRA, MANAGING DIRECTOR, MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA LTD (speaking before the unveiling):
"I think it's a moment of history and I'm delighted an Indian company is leading the way."

VENU SRINIVASAN, CHAIRMAN & MANAGING DIRECTOR, TVS MOTOR CO :
"It is fantastic, outstanding engineering. It helps redefine the sector in the country. It has established new grounds."

P. SAM, GROUP HEAD, MARKETING AND SALES, YAMAHA MOTOR INDIA SALES PVT LTD:
"The 1-lakh rupee car is not going to impact our potential customers. Our customers would buy our products for the sheer joy of riding."

ONKAR KANWAR, APOLLO TYRES LTD:
"I congratulate Tata. He has delivered what he promised."

ASHOK SINGH, CONSTABLE, DELHI POLICE:
"It is a dream come true. I look forward to buying that car. My wife will be really happy."

G. COLQUHOUN, READER IN MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS, SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, LIVERPOOL:
"This is an important step for Asian markets. I look forward to this car being introduced in European markets."

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th January 2008 at 17:18.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:36   #374
BHPian

Nano looks great. Will it eat into Alto and M800's market?
Whats the future of M800 and Alto?
Old 10th January 2008, 17:41   #375
LLL
BHPian

Great moment today and great work by Tatas.

Now, the sales will be limited only by Tata's imagination and reach. Tata's should sell this car in every corner of every country. They should position it as an additional car or car for college kids/spouses/poor folks in developed world. And car for middle class in developing countries. In india, this could be the poor man's car and college kids car and additional family car...

Anyways, tatas have only 1-2 years before competition catches up. so they better sell as many cars they can in next couple of years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks