Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 16:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Probabaly, ford must be having an eye on the number of swift sales(diesel variant).
I hope ford does an indigo CS on their ikon.
Was thinking of the same possibility. However, the Ford Ikon is 4140 mm in length (According to Autocar India). That means they would have to lose almost 6 inches to bring it under the 4 m magic figure! That is next to impossible with just a bumper trim job. This would require a major redesign and re tooling which would probably offset the cost benefit anyway.We can still keep our fingers crossed though! BTW, can anyone post how many mm Ford shaved off the Fusion to bring it under 4 m? I believe that was purely a redesigned bumper job.Suhail
Old 2nd March 2008, 16:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Even with the same length, ford can play its card right(means:no insane pricing), as the swift diesel is already overpriced. I vouch a majority will have second thoughts before taking a swift D for an ikon 1.4D.

?
Old 2nd March 2008, 17:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I vouch a majority will have second thoughts before taking a swift D for an ikon 1.4D.

Yup, I'll be amongst the first in that que if it comes to that.
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:03   #19
BHPian

If Ikon comes then people will start compairing with swift Dezire.Then we can see a tight competition between swift Dezire,Ikon and Indigo.
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
girishg : If they actually plonk the 1.4 TDCI in ikon i'm pretty sure the fiesta would get the 1.6 TDCI.
swale84 : they would have to lose almost 6 inches to bring it under the 4 m magic figure! .... This would require a major redesign
That's 6 inches off a car that's almost a notch-back. A possible identity crisis looming up for the Ikon.

And the price increase of a 1.6 TDCi Fiesta and our eye on FE will ensure that sales of a 1.6 Fiesta TDCI will not be very encouraging.
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

sounds like a good idea..but like every one said, who would buy the fiesta 1.4TDCI if thats done?..
maybe time to launch the 1.6tdci and maybe at no significant price increase.
Old 2nd March 2008, 20:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

what drew my affinity towards this car is the sporty steering position and the seats the can vouch for its just like the esparco or the recardo seats, my heart says buy this car just for that!(OT: if i am not wrong this is what made the swift sell, the car is actually not all that fast its the handling, the way the seating is planned that pushes the driver back when it accelerates is what it has made it a success, coupled with the A.S.S and resale!)

but the mind always kicks in and says the A.S.S and the practical aspects. well
even if they dont reduce the prices of spares completely but only say marginally by even 5% for starters, but make them available right when its needed by a customer they might still be able to do good business, its usually the waiting for a particular part and the fact that these cars end up in the service centers is really making them lose the business!

a pure enthusiasts will definitely buy the 1.6 L ikon if still avaliable just like the lancers are bought till to day! and i really hope they come up with the 1.6L or higher cc TDCi diesel for the ikon and price well with improved A.S.S. will be a huge hit! the FE offer by fiesta is 14kmpl+ in the city i dont think it will make a very big difference if they gave 12kmpl+ in the city and be fast! just my opinion guys what do say? no offenses and please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:08   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An Ikon with the 1.4 diesel makes immense sense, especially if Ford value-prices it. Its nice to drive, while the rear bench is amongst the most comfortable from that segment.

Almost certainly, the Fiesta will get the long overdue 1.6 diesel. Then we are talking!
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:28   #24
BHPian

Ford Ikon + DIESEL its just would be as tempting as it sounds. Ford ride quality and interiors have been always in top notch also despite being 10 yrs old model Ikon still look much sportier than many other sedans above its price. Thats truly just my personal opinion. To others it may Ford Ikon may sound old and sarcastic.
Old 3rd March 2008, 04:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

I guess the imminent launch of the Swift desire diesel has finally woken Ford from its slumber.

The Ikon diesel is the only weapon that Ford can use against the Indigo, Logan and Maruti brigade. Needs to be well under 6 lakhs to make it work.
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

i like the exterior looks .they are nice, they need to do something about the interiors , just give a slight modern cabin and change the instrument panel . i am sure it will be a great success .
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Ford Ikon + DIESEL its just would be as tempting as it sounds. Ford ride quality and interiors have been always in top notch also despite being 10 yrs old model Ikon still look much sportier than many other sedans above its price. Thats truly just my personal opinion. To others it may Ford Ikon may sound old and sarcastic.

I totally agree with you Ikon is still looks sporty! They just need to change the cockpit and the upgrade some cheap plastic interiors. Then im sure it will sell well. But Ford has to price it agressively.
Old 3rd March 2008, 10:47   #28
BHPian

I reckon with many of the tbhpians who have put down there views...

Ikon can re workits magic with the following:...

New Diesel heart as per the Autocar....
New Dash board and some add on's like Aveo's style speedo/tacho's...( like teh racing kinds)Digital trip meter/ inside-outside temperature.
Better qlty of plastics than current( though the current is better than Indigo's ...)
Retian the same sports streeing + add tilt /adjustable streeing
Seating is cool but can bring in height adjust...
The exterior door gaurd plastic can be trimed to thoise like on Fiesta /Mondeo
Sure thing needed is upgarde on the tail lamp to clear/jewel type...
Also is new look head lights.....
Must do is re visit suspension / brakes and 14" or 15" a must... from 13" Flair.
Door handles can be made like fiesta or swift kinds....
Retain the gr8 fog lamps style....with the front grilll....
Can do some cosmetics like chrome strips likes of fiesta...
Add some features like remote boot release, parking sensors, rear defogger( to have variants( for fabia or swift zxi...)
Retain the best in class a/c with current flair it rocks...
utility portion btw driver and co passenger to be improved as with new dash board
New wiper style( Logan/fiesta) and twin sparys for windscreen
light in glove box
change in postion of current hazzard lights... to center dash board console...
the bumpers can be made more into the body and thus appeal to be more integrated...

Finally atleast some of the above listed vital point can make a winner and re invent Ikon flair's pedigree...

Remember its one thos 1st rally style sporty sedan which still has its unique style compared in the segment...
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Amazing news, if its true. Plonking a TDCi on the Ikon was something i had been suggesting since ages. I believe i even made a mention of that to the service guys at my dealer. Looks like some feedback has been taken into account.

According to me, what needs to be improved are:
* Improved dashboard
* Better utilisation of interior space for providing cubby holes for storage
* Provide space for stacking away some CDs, or something
* Tilt steering option (A serious grouse i had !!)

Like GTO mentioned, the rear seat comfort for the ikon is among the best in its segment, and makes for a good family car. Ford India also needs to sort out the perception of poor after-sales which many people hold against it.

I hope they wont over-price the diesel version.
Old 3rd March 2008, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

when it will be launched and any idea about it's pricing ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks