Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 22:19   #271
BHPian

Dodge Caliper - It has very thick C pillars makes it bad car to drive on highways due to that it has a BIG blind spot.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:47   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
3) Toyota Innova- surprised??? i know many will think i am crazy, but guys- this is what i feel. the seats are not just designed for me. i get a backache if i sit for more than a hour on them. again, the dashboard is like indica's. i can just see the wipers, not good for city traffic. the steering & seating can never be adjusted to my comfort. the innova's suspension does not bounce but rocks sideways & both the left & right armrests are rock hard! so hard that it hurts both my elbows. so i prefer keeping both my hands on the steering wheel & after a while, my hand starts paining. the acceleration is very lethargic & also very jerky, no matter how careful i am. actually its not the worst car i have driven but its the biggest DISAPPOINTMENT i have had. all this is not expected of a car which costs 13L.
Wow! Finally someone who puts Innova at the place it truly deserves. I completely agree with this on all counts.
- Severe Bachache after long journeys and / or regular usage is severe.
- The car's rear end just sways left to right at speeds and does far from inspiring confidence
- For the price one has to pay for this car, I would say these two factors alone make it ultra low value for money
Old 8th April 2010, 09:27   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Wow! Finally someone who puts Innova at the place it truly deserves. I completely agree with this on all counts.
- The car's rear end just sways left to right at speeds and does far from inspiring confidence
- For the price one has to pay for this car, I would say these two factors alone make it ultra low value for money
even i am pleasantly surprised to see someone supporting innova's negatives!

i am myself an innova owner so i am not against toyota or anything. but fact is innova is one overrated car in india. the only good thing about an innova is interior space/quality & reliability.

but there are many other things at which the competition scores much better than the innova. fact is innova sells because its a toyota!

i have been bashed many times on this forum when i have complained that the innova's seats are not comfortable & that NVH & stability at high speeds is not good.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:43   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have been bashed many times on this forum when i have complained that the innova's seats are not comfortable & that NVH & stability at high speeds is not good.
Well, not everyone tests out a car as I do, when I get my hands on it. Look up for my comments yesterday on a Grande MKII TD, and you would know why. The Dealership Sales Person, was literally sweating after I had completed my tests, although in none of the tests I did, I exceeded 80 KMPH. In fact I never went beyond 80 KMPH during the entire TD.

And I agree with you that Innova is a reliable car and I like that Engine a lot, but it IS over-rated.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

A little off topic, but while I respect your opinions about the negatives of the Innova, if you think its reliability has been overrated, just go through the Tata/Skoda owners' threads who have been harassed by the manufacturers despite having genuinely defective cars. When one goes through all that these poor owners have had to suffer, one may find the high premium commanded by the Toyota's reliability to be worth every penny.
Old 9th April 2010, 08:32   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
A little off topic, but while I respect your opinions about the negatives of the Innova, if you think its reliability has been overrated, just go through the Tata/Skoda owners' threads who have been harassed by the manufacturers despite having genuinely defective cars. When one goes through all that these poor owners have had to suffer, one may find the high premium commanded by the Toyota's reliability to be worth every penny.
C'mon read the sentence correctly. I said very clearly and unambiguously that Innova is a Reliable car (no contest there). But, in my opinion, it is an over-rated car overall.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:57   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i am myself an innova owner so i am not against toyota or anything. but fact is innova is one overrated car in india. the only good thing about an innova is interior space/quality & reliability.

but there are many other things at which the competition scores much better than the innova. fact is innova sells because its a toyota!

a few niggles here and there but
the tittle here say worst car you have driven and not traveled in
The innova has its share of small small defects but on the road it behaves more like a sedan than a big Muv.
It has much better handling than the scorpio and the xylo and the safari The on road characteristics can put many hatchbacks to shame.
High speed stability , well i have done speeds over 150 constantly and never did it feel unsafe.
Foreign spec innova's have engine options which have more power so it can easily handle speeds of over 150 with ease.

I totally Agree with one thing regarding the Sideways wobbling on very bad pothole filled roads.
Not to mention the poor thigh support (i think Japanese people have smaller sized bottoms compared to Indians )
Old 9th April 2010, 17:03   #278
BHPian

In India - Indica (I own one for 4 years ), bad braking, unstable at high speeds, very hard gear shifts.
In US- Ford Focus, extremely slow, hard steering and bad brakes.
Old 16th April 2010, 00:40   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I do quite a bit of highway driving (Hyd-Kolkata, Hyd-Mumbai, Hyd-Bangalore, Hyd-Kanyakaumari etc etc) and have used whatever cars I evaluated and purchased over time ...Fiat Uno, Santro, Baleno, Alto, Innova. I currently own a Baleno and an Innova.

I agree with the fact that Innova has a stiff suspension and will thud through potholes. The thigh support may be a bit lacking if you are a 6 footer but is good enuf for normal persons.

However, the same stiff suspension (with a bit..but just that bit of sideways travel in large potholes) provides superior body control that a Scorpio owner can only dream of - even with a slightly more peppier motor. My uncle has a Scorpio so I say it from driving experience.

About comfort-our non stop travel distances increased substantially after we bought the innova. We travelled 1100kms from Thekkady to Hyderabad (5 adults, 2 kids and 2 weeks worth of luggage w/o a roof carrier) recently and everyone, including my 60+ yr old parents were not miserable. The longest we used to do in the Baleno was 750 / 800 kms at a stretch. In fact my father has taken a liking to driving the car and given the fact that he used to drive a Santro and used to find the Baleno big - thats saying a lot about ease of driving

So, I would not call Innova an overrated car. If you have a family and need the space and comfort. No other people mover comes close. Period.

Try doing 6+ persons for a 1000 km drive in another people mover which has poorer body control (with a *magic carpet ride* that any softer suspension will give at a lower speed) and ask the occupants how they feel.

Quote:

To each his own-I cannot believe that the superlight steering and lax body control of Scorpio is confidence inspiring at triple digit speeds. Maybe its just the macho feeling that adds to the confidence. Just google and find a bit of data on slalom times as well and see what is easier to drive through turns. See one link below that I found - maybe has outdated data

Indiacar.com - Mahindra Scorpio

I find Innova pretty stable with better stability than Scorpio at turns. Last year, while executing a stifff corner, a scorpio overturned and my friend in his Baleno barely escaped collateral damages - he was coming from the other side of the turn.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 16th April 2010 at 00:44.
Old 16th April 2010, 08:34   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
However, the same stiff suspension (with a bit..but just that bit of sideways travel in large potholes) provides superior body control that a Scorpio owner can only dream of - even with a slightly more peppier motor. My uncle has a Scorpio so I say it from driving experience.

So, I would not call Innova an overrated car. If you have a family and need the space and comfort. No other people mover comes close. Period.

Try doing 6+ persons for a 1000 km drive in another people mover which has poorer body control (with a *magic carpet ride* that any softer suspension will give at a lower speed) and ask the occupants how they feel.

To each his own-I cannot believe that the superlight steering and lax body control of Scorpio is confidence inspiring at triple digit speeds. Maybe its just the macho feeling that adds to the confidence.

I find Innova pretty stable with better stability than Scorpio at turns. Last year, while executing a stifff corner, a scorpio overturned and my friend in his Baleno barely escaped collateral damages - he was coming from the other side of the turn.
I agree with you on all counts w.r.t the Scorpio. It is a badly designed vehicle in many respects. In fact the only mainstream vehicle that can be said to deliver some VFM from Mahindra is the Bolero VLX. But, it would be unfair to compare an Innova and a Bolero. My only opinion about the Innova was it is over-rated, but I also believe it generally delivers VFM overall. It's just that the typical short-comings of the Innova are the ones that I tend to prioritize highest and hence it loses out for me.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:10   #281
BHPian

Innova review from the west...
Review: Toyota Innova | The Truth About Cars
Old 16th April 2010, 18:13   #282
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Innova may be a heck of a vehicle, but c'mon guys...end of the day, its a van. A people mover. I can totally understand why someone would classify it as the worst car they've driven. Long gearshifts, so-so power, and handling that can't compare to regular (low slung) cars for obvious reason.

The Toyota's a great utility vehicle, but not fun to drive by a long shot.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:25   #283
Senior - BHPian

Yet we are trying to compare SUV/UV/MUV Handling with sedan's/Hatchbacks.
The innova is the benchmark for UV's and SUV's Sub 15 lacs in India.
although its boring to drive and uninteresting It aint that bad also.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:28   #284
BHPian

My worst drive is the Maruti 800. Sorry if I hurt a few nationalist sentiments but I am sure the long thin gear lever was a throwback into the dark ages.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:29   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, its got to be a Maruti Omni and Indigo.

Omni, felt like i was sitting right on the windsheild with the steering right into my stomach. Scary feeling.

Indigo, it has a weird driving position. I feel as if i am tilted towards the door and has some notchy controls and takes ages to move and feels totally drab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks