Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:43   #211
BHPian

The worst cars driven till date in terms of 'worst-ness'.
1) Tata Sumo Grande: this is a total waste of 10+ lakhs for a Car/SUV/. The car is huge and feels exactly Like a Sumo which is sold for nearly half the price.
2)Indicab - O man , I am not sure how exactly the cab drivers drive that thing at speeds which they drive it. It has pathethic braking and stops generally 10-15 feet ( maybe a little exagerration) once the brake is applied.

Is there any difference between the Indicab and the basic indica( without the power steering)
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:17   #212
Senior - BHPian

NHC which I had owned.
  • Acceleration was sluggish, with only engine getting buzzy without real pick up in the speed
  • Suspension was hard and stiff, and the front wheels used to crash in to pot-holes without any dampening (this was addressed to some extent in the later batches)
  • Was jerky at low speeds, had to shift to 1 st gear to cross bumps.
  • Pathetic steering: Used to feel as if it is stuck with some glue or magnet to move it off the straight ahead postion, but when you do move it, it would become very free (and felt totally disconnected). It was very difficult to make fine steering correction as it would move in some kind of predetermined intervals. It also used to pull slightly to the left and right at high speed, forcing you to hold the steering very tight. (some of these problems still persit now with ANHC, eventhogh it is vastly improved)
  • Somehow, could never get in to comfortable driving position. If I push the seat back, the steering and gear would get uncomfortably far, and if I push it to the front, my knees would bend too much and touch the steering column.
However car had it's own merits like good FE, soft controls, good rear bench, airy and wel-made interiors etc. I think the paint quality was among the best and NHCs around still look very new.

Last edited by Guna : 22nd February 2010 at 15:19. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:43   #213
mkh
Senior - BHPian

worst

I had rented the first car on a trip to the US- a MAZDA 2 seater, since none better were there at that outlet..it was a horror- sitting in that made us feel like ants amongst elephants..just happened to get onto the freeway and promptly came out...
The worst Indian drive has been in a relatives Zen- 1997 model..not because of the car, zen is a fantastic car in itself, but because of the condition, its clutch was hard as hell...no road grip due to bald tires..and the car was rattling all over..which is a hall mark of all maruti's
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post

NHC which I had owned.
  • Pathetic steering: Used to feel as if it is stuck with some glue or magnet to move it off the straight ahead postion, but when you do move it, it would become very free (and felt totally disconnected). It was very difficult to make fine steering correction as it would move in some kind of predetermined intervals. It also used to pull slightly to the left and right at high speed, forcing you to hold the steering very tight. (some of these problems still persit now with ANHC, eventhogh it is vastly improved)
This sounds exactly like an Indica DLS's steering, which I drove. The steering is hard at the straight position, and to rotate it out of that position requires some effort and then it would become so free that it feels disconnected from the car. Pathetic!!!

Never thought a Honda would have similar kind of steering feel. Fortunately two of my cars have great steering feel and I know many will vouch for it! For me to like or dislike a car depends greatly on the steering feel.

Talking about steering, I test drove a Sumo Grande and the gross lack of precision in the steering made me very nervous.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd February 2010 at 15:48.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:57   #215
BHPian

The Worst ever car driven by me - Maruti Omni
Next worst ever car driven by me - Santro
Old 25th February 2010, 04:08   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
NHC which I had owned.[list][*]Acceleration was sluggish, with only engine getting buzzy without real pick up in the speed[*]Suspension was hard and stiff, and the front wheels used to crash in to pot-holes without any dampening (this was addressed to some extent in the later batches)[*]Was jerky at low speeds, had to shift to 1 st gear to cross bumps.[*]Pathetic steering: Used to feel as if it is stuck with some glue or magnet to move it off the straight ahead postion, but when you do move it, it would become very free (and felt totally disconnected). It was very difficult to make fine steering correction as it would move in some kind of predetermined intervals. It also used to pull slightly to the left and right at high speed, forcing you to hold the steering very tight. (some of these problems still persit now with ANHC, eventhogh it is vastly improved)
I can easily cross bumps in my NHC in second gear. I think the jerkiness issue might be there with your NHC only. And I wouldn't call the steering exactly 'pathetic'.
I never felt as if the steering was 'stuck with a glue or a magnet', it always had the same feel. It is a bit too light but it's really useful when driving in traffic or when parking.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:33   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Never thought a Honda would have similar kind of steering feel. .
I would blame the EPS. Honda doesn't use use EPS in any other cars. But EPS seems to be the trend these days. According to ACI, even new BMW 5 series uses 'eletro-mechanical' steering system and they felt it lacks the required feedack.
Old 25th February 2010, 07:58   #218
Senior - BHPian

1) Omni for the safety, or lack of it.
2) Indica. 1.2 Xeta. Very sluggish pick up. Overwhelmingly sluggish.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:47   #219
BHPian

The worst car driven by me Standard Herald Mark III.

I have to pump the brake about 100 meters before where I intend the car to stop

Always had to carry extra 2 people in the car. To PUSH start.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:43   #220
BHPian

maruti omni.
drove a omni some 8 years ago for about 150 kms.
brake were horrible, and driver seat got hot after 2 and half hour drive
Old 26th February 2010, 12:07   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix
The mighty Swift to me. Got a chance to occupy the back seat on a drive from Bangalore to Ambur. Hardly a 2 to 3 Hours on the drive. Got me a bad back ache :(
I guess the thread is about the worst car you have driven (as in worst to drive). Not being driven in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Being car enthusiasts, we all drive all sorts of cars regularly. We love some and we hate some. Which is the worst car you have ever driven?
Old 30th March 2010, 21:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

The worst car I have ever driven would be the Hyundai Santro

Last edited by aparth : 30th March 2010 at 21:31.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:46   #223
Senior - BHPian

Santro it is,unstable and steering feels scarily light at high speeds.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:59   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Santro it is,unstable and steering feels scarily light at high speeds.
What do you say about Wagon R?
Old 30th March 2010, 22:18   #225
BHPian

Has to be the Chevy Malibu I rented in US ~ 2000. Floated like a boat. Had no feel. Seats sucked and after driving 50+ miles, actually turned back and changed the car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks