Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2006, 15:27   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
My mpfi ZEN with full blast AC n 5 adults on board....Its not the worst but still frustrating to drive bcos of its sluggishness... .
Switch of the AC n it turns into a pocket rocket...

KP

Thats a problem with all cars this side of 5 lacks. My wagonR becomes a bullock cart with AC on+5 adults.

However, still better than a TATA car going down the slope with a/c off and only 1 person in the car....
Old 30th May 2006, 15:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
However, still better than a TATA car going down the slope with a/c off and only 1 person in the car....
Be careful n specific the next time u say that PALIO is also a TATA car now......N so many hardcore palio lovers here wont let u off.... `
Old 3rd February 2007, 18:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Just driven a maruti omni on a very long trip and thought I should start a similar thread but found this so heres my contribution to a thread from the archives.

While driving the maruti omni,On the highways your heart can miss a beat when you see a maniac bus driver travelling in the opposite direction overtake.Driving the omni is certainly not a pleasant experience even for the most ardent car buff.
Old 3rd February 2007, 19:02   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

While lower end cars may not be the benchmark for handling, the worst Indian vehicle I've driven is the Mahindra Scorpio 2005 model. Even a Tata Sumo has better driving charcteristics than that Scorpio
Old 3rd February 2007, 19:02   #110
Team-BHP Support

I know I'll get flamed for this but my worst was:

1. Omni no gueses here felt scary and brakes were non existent.
2. Santro - accelerator too light, clutch vague, brakes binary 0 or 1. I've driven several santros all were similar. Also the high speed handling was nervous. These are debatable by all but the main reason for me was the driving position, with the seat fully back the pedals were still too close, the accelerator after pressing would hurt my foot. I had such a hard time driving it.

I like the pedals to go forward when i press not downwards like the omni and the Santro.
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:01   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Just driven a maruti omni on a very long trip and thought I should start a similar thread but found this so heres my contribution to a thread from the archives.

While driving the maruti omni,On the highways your heart can miss a beat when you see a maniac bus driver travelling in the opposite direction overtake.Driving the omni is certainly not a pleasant experience even for the most ardent car buff.
i havent driven the Omni on the highway, bu ti really liked it in the city... ONly an autorickshaw could beat ts maneuvarability... man!!! I felt it was good to drive in the city

Anyways...

The car that really scared me once was an ambassador... It was the first time i was driving an old car (older model than M800)... It was a horror experience, with the brakes not biting unless i almost stand on it... Gear not going ino the slots at all... Clutch pedal requiring Sweaty efforts to depress... All that in the city traffic... (Must be that particular car cause i have driven only that amby)

It was also the first time (And the last time, till now) that i asked someone else to drive... (I never willingly let anyone else drive with me in the car)
Old 4th February 2007, 00:30   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
While driving the maruti omni,On the highways your heart can miss a beat when you see a maniac bus driver travelling in the opposite direction overtake
Forget highway, driving it around city can make you skip a few heart beats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
While lower end cars may not be the benchmark for handling, the worst Indian vehicle I've driven is the Mahindra Scorpio 2005 model. Even a Tata Sumo has better driving charcteristics than that Scorpio
I have driven old Scorpio for 1000 KM on highway. And I can safely say that there are far worse handling car than old Scorpio.
Could you please let us know in which characteristics Sumo is better than Scorpio?
Old 4th February 2007, 01:32   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
Wonder! No one speaks about a 118 NE (esp. with radial tyres)!!!

( I m owing one)
Hey,you say you own it! Why would you speak so? My experience with 118ne is,it was not built right by PAL,

Apart i loved driving it,nice handler,i used to enjoy its typical RWD characteristic's.

With radials a properly maintained ne was good fun,infact it's Gear-box affiliate's is a benchmark even today.
Old 4th February 2007, 10:11   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post

I have driven old Scorpio for 1000 KM on highway. And I can safely say that there are far worse handling car than old Scorpio.
Could you please let us know in which characteristics Sumo is better than Scorpio?

At the same sane speeds in city traffic around 45 kmph, the 2005 Scorpio had a noticable body roll even at mild turns, which I failed to recognize in the same model year Sumo Victa Turbo. Both were new vehicles at the time.

As I stated at the starting of my post,
Quote:
While lower end cars may not be the benchmark for handling
, there definitely are worse handling cars than the Scorpio, in categories lower to it. But at the price-point the Scorpio is at, its a shame to have had a vehicle in 2005, where the good engine was let down by an incompetent chassis
Old 5th February 2007, 16:47   #115

Gotta be the first car I ever owned. A 1990 Hyundai excel (bought second hand in 1997) bought when I first landed in the US. Found out a year later, when selling it, it was flood damaged.... something the shady dealer "forgot" to mention ...The car would wobble and make all kinds of rattling sounds when driven above 50mph....Was only to glad to get rid of it when I had the mooolah to buy a better car....
Old 5th February 2007, 17:29   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A 1990 Hyundai excel
Would whole heartedly agree!! That was my sisters car in the USA too.
Old 5th February 2007, 17:35   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Forget highway, driving it around city can make you skip a few heart beats.

I humbly offer You a comparison drive in my personal Sumo victa turbo and my scorpio old,Both city and highway,clean road's broken roads,

I request you drive it for atleast 50 kms and then decide for yourself which has better braking and ride.

Both have 10k plus on odo.
Old 5th February 2007, 17:45   #118
BHPian

A brand new ALTO (test drive), with 5 people on a 30 deg. incline. AC was off. The pathetic power of 800 cc engine, immediately took ALTO off my list of cars I was considering. Even my 20 year old fiat used to climb that incline quite well.

I now drive an old Zen. Quite happy with it.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

N.A. Indica Diesel- The car had pathetic Pickup- horrible NVH and the interior was awful- this was in the year 2003 and it was a dealership TD vehicle.
Old 7th February 2007, 18:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

My worst driven car: SANTRO !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks