Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 17:13   #511
BHPian

^^ subaru wrx sti is competition
Old 25th November 2010, 17:50   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've ended up rather flummoxed after hearing the actual price; the Evo X costs 60 odd lakhs on the road in Mumbai........?
I read somewhere in Team-Bhp that HM is planning an Amby comeback. This maybe the fund raising strategy for the new Amby R&D who knows !.. LOL!
Old 26th November 2010, 12:28   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For instance, the Audi 3.2 FSI and the EVO X cost about the same in the UK. In India however, the top loaded Audi 3.2 FSI with ALL bells & whistles retailed for 48 lakhs on the road.

Is 3.2 FSI a CKD or a CBU? My guess from the price, its a CBU.

As a result, in year 2013, we can expect pre-worshipped EVO Xs for 25 - 30 lakhs. Now, that would be something, eh?

Wow, you stole the words from my mouth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I believe it is being imported as a CBU and that attracts a duty of approximately 300%. I wonder why they did not go the CKD route then duty would have been 110~120%.
The duty on CBU is 110% and that in CKD is about 40%. Also if its a CBU, the exshowrrom price is higher, so on road it is more expensive (tax, insurance etc on ex showroom price), depending on the State.[/b]

[b]On the other hand, if its a CBU, then the ex showroom is less, so, the on road is price less. In India, cars of all brands, whether CKD or CBU demand a premium, even if you calculate the CKD rate. For eg, the Mitsubishi outlander SE AWD 2.4 MIVEC, costs about US$25,000 (INR11,50,000 approx) in USA. This incudes, the company's profit too, the actual would be less, I take INR10,00,000 (for kit, other assembing prices to be deducted as well). Add to it a 40% duty, about 4,00,000 and the price is 14,00,000. Now, even if I take 2,00,000 per car for assembing and other costs (should be less though), the total is about 16,00,000. So the company is making a profit of 4,25,000 out and out with an ex showroom price of 20.25lac.

The same goes for other manufacturers too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Well, I don't think it's feasible for Mitsubishi to start assembling the Evo X in India. They are just testing the waters here at the moment. And jumping in with an assembly plant exclusively for the Evo might set them back.

The assembly line of Cedia can be used to assemble EVO, yes they will need some investment but the returns will be tremendous. They anyways aren't selling cedia. The will sell more evos at a price of around 35 than the current price. Also they will sell more EVOs than the cedia, and the profit per car will be much more. If an AWD outlander can be assembled, whats it with the EVO, just a few more computers to be sorted. The only thing is that HM dont want to do it!

The demand for the Evo X is definitely not as much as the A4 3.2 in our kind of market, where people would prefer to spend their 40 lakhs on a status-symbol rather than an out-right performance car.

Most people who are able to afford an expensive car and think of buying one that's worth 40 lakhs are probably middle-aged and would like to buy something that makes them feel that they've arrived in life. And how many of them would want a race-bred, Japanese 4-door sedan on steroids that is meant for the Play-Station generation?

There is a lot of demand, but at a price. If we are looking at an EVO at 55, a preowned M3 makes more sense at 70ish. there are a lot of people who would love to grab it for around 35-40ish but at 55-60 its all together a different game.

This is just the platform for the entry of the new Lancer that's due sometime next year.

i doubt it again sir, the first thing on cards if pajero sport, they are losing a lot in Metropolitan cities.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th November 2010 at 22:39. Reason: Removed the bold bit
Old 26th November 2010, 13:09   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
The duty on CBU is 110% and that in CKD is about 40%. Also if its a CBU, the exshowrrom price is higher, so on road it is more expensive (tax, insurance etc on ex showroom price), depending on the State...

...The same goes for other manufacturers too.
I agree with this!

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I don't think it's feasible for Mitsubishi to start assembling the Evo X in India. They are just testing the waters here at the moment. And jumping in with an assembly plant exclusively for the Evo might set them back.
The assembly line of Cedia can be used to assemble EVO, yes they will need some investment but the returns will be tremendous. They anyways aren't selling cedia. The will sell more evos at a price of around 35 than the current price. Also they will sell more EVOs than the cedia, and the profit per car will be much more. If an AWD outlander can be assembled, whats it with the EVO, just a few more computers to be sorted. The only thing is that HM dont want to do it!
Firstly, it's not as simple as it sounds, my friend.

The Cedia's assembly line cannot be used for the new Evo X IMO. The Evo is a far more modern and advanced car than the age-old Cedia and the assembly line will need to undergo several changes for it to be able to assemble the Evo at all. Just 'a few computers' will not be enough. Not to mention the after-sales-service which will need to be revamped if the Evo is sold through the SKD/CKD route. HM/Mitsubishi will need to undertake massive training camps for mechanics and service-employees just so that the service-centres can cater to the Evo customers.

This is definitely not feasible on a small scale.

Secondly, I fail to understand the comparison made between the Evo and the Outlander. Just because the Outlander is assembled, doesn't mean Mitsubishi can give the 'go-ahead' signal for the Evo.

You must remember that the Outlander is an SUV and it has competition in the form of the Fortuner, the Endeavour, the CRV, and the recently introduced Yeti and the Santa Fe, not to mention the X-Trail. (they may not belong to the same segment, but they do fall within the same price-bracket) It has the potential to sell in our market - where SUVs are received well. That's reason enough for Mitsubishi to set-up an assembly line for the Outlander. If they don't, the Outlander would have to be sold through the CBU route and this would make it rather expensive when compared to the competition and hence, wouldn't make sense for Mitsubishi.

The Evo on the other hand has almost nil competition, unless of course you import your own Ford Focus RS or a Subaru Impreza WRX. So the SKD/CKD route would not make sense just yet. It's a 4WD sedan on steroids for crying out loud! It's not an SUV that has more potential in our market! It's a high-performance sedan with the single focus of going fast. So comfort and luxury is a compromise, something people will want when they spend 40 lakhs on a car, in India.

Quote:
Quote:
The demand for the Evo X is definitely not as much as the A4 3.2 in our kind of market, where people would prefer to spend their 40 lakhs on a status-symbol rather than an out-right performance car.

Most people who are able to afford an expensive car and think of buying one that's worth 40 lakhs are probably middle-aged and would like to buy something that makes them feel that they've arrived in life. And how many of them would want a race-bred, Japanese 4-door sedan on steroids that is meant for the Play-Station generation?
There is a lot of demand, but at a price. If we are looking at an EVO at 55, a preowned M3 makes more sense at 70ish. there are a lot of people who would love to grab it for around 35-40ish but at 55-60 its all together a different game.
There might be a lot of demand. But in relative terms, the Evo's demand, even if it was priced at 40 lakhs, would be completely overshadowed by the Audi A4 3.2 FSI. The reason behind this is because the Audi is a complete-package as opposed to the Evo, which is basically a sedan that's focused on racing/rallying/performance. So naturally, enthusiasts are overshadowed by masses. Masses go for the more luxurious Audi where as enthusiasts go in for the Evo.

Quote:
Quote:
This is just the platform for the entry of the new Lancer that's due sometime next year.
i doubt it again sir, the first thing on cards if pajero sport, they are losing a lot in Metropolitan cities.
I cannot comment on this as I'm not aware of the Pajero Sport plan. And please don't 'Sir' me. I don't have the credentials to be christened that yet!

P.S. Please avoid using bold font excessively. It might send out the wrong message to other users. Just a tip.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th November 2010 at 13:12.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:35   #515
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold.. Just using it to distinguish your words from mine. Not emphasising on anything specific, but you are right, I must have mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I agree with this!

Thanks

Firstly, it's not as simple as it sounds, my friend.
The Cedia's assembly line cannot be used for the new Evo X IMO. The Evo is a far more modern and advanced car than the age-old Cedia and the assembly line will need to undergo several changes for it to be able to assemble the Evo at all.

Ofcourse, but what I meant was that the cost wont be as much as it os for setting up a new line, changes can be made onto the current line. They are not even selling 100 cedias a month, so they must anyways be bearing loses.

Just 'a few computers' will not be enough.

I compared it to the AWD outlander, the AWD setup of outlander too is complex and is the basic form of EVO's AWD. So, a few more computers I said. Also, its not easy and cheap to assemble an outlander either. so if they can assemble outy, they can assemble EVO too. Ofcourse, its not easy.

Not to mention the after-sales-service which will need to be revamped if the Evo is sold through the SKD/CKD route. HM/Mitsubishi will need to undertake massive training camps for mechanics and service-employees just so that the service-centres can cater to the Evo customers.

I have myself seen details of training camp for mechanics and service employees and money spent on the same, on the very computer of mitsubishi's North India manager. They also sent quiet a few people to Japan for training.

This is definitely not feasible on a small scale.

I'd agree, but the profits will be more than the investment. the CBU is just the easier way.

Secondly, I fail to understand the comparison made between the Evo and the Outlander. Just because the Outlander is assembled, doesn't mean Mitsubishi can give the 'go-ahead' signal for the Evo.

I think, they should, evo wont be that complex that assembling it would be difficult, considering HM has know how and spare assembly line. Also, if I remember right, what I was told by seniors at mitsui, they have 1 assembly line of lancer and one for cedia, whats the point making no use of 2 assembly lines.

You must remember that the Outlander is an SUV.... make sense for Mitsubishi.

I'd competely agree.

The Evo on the other hand has almost nil competition, unless of course you import your own Ford Focus RS or a Subaru Impreza WRX. So the SKD/CKD route would not make sense just yet. It's a 4WD sedan on steroids for crying out loud! It's not an SUV that has more potential in our market! It's a high-performance sedan with the single focus of going fast. So comfort and luxury is a compromise, something people will want when they spend 40 lakhs on a car, in India.

But in a country like india, where demand for such cars is just about to begin, a boy racers car at mouth watering price will not only provide first movers benefit, but will also improve Mitsubishi's brand name in India. Also, the more they sell the car, the more profit they make. There are a lot of people who cannot afford performance cars at a whopping price of 1 CR or over, 35 lac in our growing economy is still managable be much more people.

There might be a lot of demand. But in relative terms, the Evo's demand, even if it was priced at 40 lakhs, would be completely overshadowed by the Audi A4 3.2 FSI.

I'd beg to differ, it will be over shadowed by the A4 as a whole, but someone who get a 3.2 FSI will be an enthusiast and if you are to get a car which is more fun to drive, at 10 lac less, then why not!

The reason behind this is because the Audi is a complete-package as opposed to the Evo, which is basically a sedan that's focused on racing/rallying/performance. So naturally, enthusiasts are overshadowed by masses. Masses go for the more luxurious Audi where as enthusiasts go in for the Evo.

But masses also go for normal A4 rather than 3.2 FSIs. I do agree with your point that an audi means more comfort, and snob value, but dont we have enough enthusiasts these days, who can be catered by an EVO.

And please don't 'Sir' me. I don't have the credentials to be christened that yet!

Wrote it normally, never wanted to offend!

P.S. Please avoid using bold font excessively. It might send out the wrong message to other users. Just a tip.

Sure, thanks. Actually copy posting the comment again and again is a pain.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th November 2010 at 15:40.
Old 5th December 2010, 04:33   #516
BHPian

This video shows up why EVO is worth the money. Pretty cool test in Top Gear USA

Old 9th December 2010, 23:57   #517
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi fans rejoice...EVO X LAUNCHED: 49.95 Lakh ex-delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
This video shows up why EVO is worth the money. Pretty cool test in Top Gear US
I watched that episode. If I remember correctly I think Tanner mentioned that this car costs $34,000 in US. That equals to about Rs. 15.5 lacs.

At that price its a car to die for, but at more than 3 times the price it takes a very different prospective.
I wish HM had brought this in a CKD route, they have been preparing to sell this car for a considerable amount of time after all!

But we Indians adjust to all of these very quickly, otherwise no one would have been buying any BMW, Audi, Ducati etc. in India!

Last edited by goingout : 10th December 2010 at 00:01.
Old 10th December 2010, 01:02   #518
Senior - BHPian

Even if the Evo is fairly priced what about the 10 thousand kilometer or 6 months warranty? According to me that is just a manufacturer wanting to wash its hands of its own product.

If it was 'SO not made' for India, why launch it in the first place ?

Even if we do get used to crappy cars being presented to us in India, this is just pushing it out of the box. I would never buy anything which does not comewith/extendable a 4 year or 80 thousand warranty.

That is the manufacturer telling you in their words 'Dude, drive on, I am there if something goes wrong'

IN such an expensive car like Evo, If something does go wrong, you are in a ditch which only has to be dug downwards.
Old 10th December 2010, 01:09   #519
BHPian

Why is everyone calling it a "Launch"?

One could import it from Japan for the same price.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:48   #520
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Why is everyone calling it a "Launch"?

One could import it from Japan for the same price.
Sure could. But not with bill, warranty and local support.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:36   #521
BHPian

Hi GTO,

Can we expect a review of this vehicle in the near future?
Old 26th December 2010, 18:33   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure could. But not with bill, warranty and local support.
Warranty is 10 thousand km or 6 months. Hardly you can call that even warranty. That's like 'naam ke vaste' warranty. in UK you get a full 3 year with unlimited mileage warranty for an EVO 10 FQ360 and all the EVO models.

Service interval is 10 thousand miles or 1 year in the UK.

I am 100% sure with the little number's they are importing, if something does go wrong with your Evo, it ll be parked for months at the service station.

Anyone buying this car is making the worst choice of his life. 50 lakhs can get the best of best cars in India with warranty and after sales like a charm and speed which is atleast somewhere around the Evo.
Old 26th December 2010, 18:46   #523
Senior - BHPian

Monteros and cedias are stuck in service centers for months due to lac of parts. my friends montero was stuck for a month and a half because the clutch was not available. Another friends cedia was stuck for almost a similar period as the technicians couldn't sort out an issue with the brakes and some electrical issue. I shudder to think what would happen to an Evo in a similar situation!
Old 27th December 2010, 09:45   #524
BHPian

Guys, anyone heard of any EVO X(s) being sold in the NCR region ? Haven't spotted a single EVO X on the road.

Is the EVO X on display at any of the Mitsubishi dealerships in Delhi ? Would be in Delhi in the next few days, so it would be awesome if i could see the car, and TD it, if i'm lucky enough!
Old 27th December 2010, 13:02   #525
BHPian

i am eagerly awaiting for someone to have the guts to buy this car with a 6 month warranty. Hope its some bhpian and we get a review on tbhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
Guys, anyone heard of any EVO X(s) being sold in the NCR region ? Haven't spotted a single EVO X on the road.

Is the EVO X on display at any of the Mitsubishi dealerships in Delhi ? Would be in Delhi in the next few days, so it would be awesome if i could see the car, and TD it, if i'm lucky enough!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks