Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 18:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Toyota i think started out on the wrong foot in india and have continued doing that since then. The new corolla also doest seem to impress at all. Look already outdated. Might not go well with the Janta especially with honda's new city out soon.

Buck up toyota!!!
Old 19th July 2008, 18:54   #17
BHPian

I'm so disappointed with Toyota and Honda.
Take Toyota they have great cars like the Yaris and Corolla Sedan oversells which should sell pretty well in India if priced right.
When will the Japs stop taking Indian customers for fools and pricing all their vehicles at premium.

offer you cars at competitive prices like you do in other countries.

Images sourced from Toyota Australia website.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner-17422.jpg  

Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner-29322.jpg  

Old 20th July 2008, 04:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Launch the Fortuner with the D4D at 11-13L, and Toyota has a winner on their hands.

Highly improbable now, considering that they intend to keep the Innova and Fortuner in separate segments (boo-hickey, if you ask me). IF they launch the car, that is...

Sadly, one can never hope for good things from a Toyota perspective...
Old 20th July 2008, 05:41   #19
SuperSyn

Heh, if Toyota ever 'wakes up' in India, it would be because of sustained flat growth / drop in sales in USA and Europe.
They are taking a big hit in US ops, if this continues soon someone in Japan will divert more energy to emerging markets like India.

Old 20th July 2008, 15:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

i dont think toyota would bring in the fortuner anytime soon. it just seems to be big talks from their new india head. the car was to be at our doorsteps two yrs ago and many people like myself have been waiting for it. now as they say life moves on and so have most people. i have gone ahead to book the captiva and since they would take time to bring in the automatic varient i have no choice but to settle for the manual. toyota seems very unsure of what they are doing and saying. hope someone from their team gets a grip of things and realises that in this way they would not be able to increase their market share and reliability for their word. they need to step up and keep their word.
Old 20th July 2008, 17:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Corolla at 10-14 L seems to be an addition from the journalist. The dealers in Bangalore are not even pushing hard to sell off the existing cars because the new one will apparently start at 14L OTR, Bangalore.

(What I heard from Nandi Toyota is that there are plenty of luxury taxi operators willing to lap up the existing stock.)
Start at 14 L OTR? What Ravindu Toyota told me was the new price range would be similar to what we currently have. 10-14 L also seems to be the right pricing range which will appeal to the market.
Old 20th July 2008, 21:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
“We aim to become a full-range car company in the next few years, and, realistically, it’s a big task. We are finalising plans to introduce several new vehicles from the our stable, aiming a much higher market share in India than the current 3%,” said Toyota’s newly appointed India head Hiroshi Nakagawa.

Source: Toyota to roll out GeNext Corolla, Fortuner- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
The Qualis and Innova have been money spinners for them, so it is surprising how slow Toyota has been to get into other segments. And I am not talking imports.

It is worth noting that the 3 biggest car makers in India are smaller players when compared to Toyota, GM and Ford. But clearly MSIL, Tata and Hyundai have a broader product offering and hence larger market share. All of the big 3 are currently investing in higher production capacity. But why wait so long??
Old 21st July 2008, 18:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Start at 14 L OTR? What Ravindu Toyota told me was the new price range would be similar to what we currently have. 10-14 L also seems to be the right pricing range which will appeal to the market.
I got this pricing from both Ravindu and Nandi about 3 weeks ago. I was told that the new car will start from the H2 range at apprx. 14L. I guess the dealers will be dishing out confusing information till the car is actually launched.

An executive from Ravindu said that they were taking bookings for the new car and the booking amount was 2L (fully refundable). When I asked him for the specifications he said that I should visit the Toyota Malaysia website . Someone from the dealer had the cheeks to call me back last week asking if I had been provided with all the information and was ready to book the car.

I find it crazy enough to book cars without a TD, but to book a car without knowing the specs - appalling! Or perhaps desperation.
Old 21st July 2008, 20:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I got this pricing from both Ravindu and Nandi about 3 weeks ago. I was told that the new car will start from the H2 range at apprx. 14L. I guess the dealers will be dishing out confusing information till the car is actually launched.
Indeed. Is this an attempt to create a sense of price differential and push the existing stocks they have? God knows, they are quite desperate to push their existing stocks out. I have been bombarded with calls after I took a TD on a H1 model. If it starts at 14 L , then the upper range would be close to 18 L..which is almost Accord territory..I think it will be tough for Toyota Corolla to sell in this price bracket. They have to be in the Civic bracket approx.
Quote:
An executive from Ravindu said that they were taking bookings for the new car and the booking amount was 2L (fully refundable).
For me, the amount offered was 50k, fully refundable.

Quote:
When I asked him for the specifications he said that I should visit the Toyota Malaysia website .
He was a bit moe polite with me and told me that he would download and send it across to me. I calmly explained to him that I was not in the habit of placing orders w/o TDing the vehicle myself or seeing the final specs for India.
Old 21st July 2008, 21:04   #25
BHPian

i think toyota is concentrating on their set market and dont want to step down from there standards of quality and reliabilty.it's because of this reason that they keep delaying the launch of certain models and upgrades as they're not able to outsource quality goods easily.moreover there freight over heads are too much as the ports are way to far and need to pass through the ghats to reach there factory.
the launch of new models could give them more market share.
i also wonder why no steps have been taken to launch the toyota yaris in india where such cars are a rage.lets look for the best.
i think fortuner in india would fall in a bracket above the innova.
there marketing team should be doing there research about the pricing as offlate its become a key factor.
Old 21st July 2008, 22:11   #26
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Corolla now? I was looking at the innova, but I always liked the corolla too...wondering with the discounts available, is it worth looking at Corolla. Any ideas?
Old 21st July 2008, 22:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
“We are closely watching the prevailing low sentiment in the auto market, ..” Mr Nakagawa said.

I would have thought anyone would have got bored by now "watching" the Indian market for this long.

Last edited by theMAG : 21st July 2008 at 22:43.
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:56   #28
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I would have thought anyone would have got bored by now "watching" the Indian market for this long.
Hehehe! well said. Japs have the habit of napping in meetings, discussions....This is probably one such 'watching' the market, i guess.
Old 22nd July 2008, 22:49   #29
BHPian

Guys. Please help me with my query. Does it make sense to look at Corolla H2 at this point in time? The dealer in Thane is offering me 1.5 lacs off plus corporate discount. I guess the final price would be around 10-10.5L. I was looking for diesel, and hence Innova, but was tempted towards Corolla with such discounts. I am ambivalent about SUV/MUV vs Sedan. I am a CityZX owner but wanted to move to diesel, but am being tempted towards Corolla, if and only if it works out in the longer run (3-4 yrs). Please give your expert opinions about Corolla H2 with all the goodies vs Innova G4 7 seater on company lease.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:43   #30
BHPian

Wheels it depends what your needs are?

Corolla is a very good deal but if you drive more than 40 Kms a day and looking for a family vehicle than Innova still makes more sense.

I currently own a Innova V model and its 3 years old and has done around 85000, The car is superb in every aspect, be its build qaulity, stability or drive.

But as you are inclined towards Corolla, I would suggest you to go for H5 model, as by just paying 15000 more u get leather seats alongwith steering mounted music controls and 3-4 more goodies.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks