Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2008, 23:12   #61
BHPian

The color shades too look like carried forward from the Swift ie the Arctic White, Azure Grey,Sunlight Copper, Silky Silver.
Old 15th November 2008, 23:46   #62
BHPian

And why the hell cant Maruti give rear Wash-Wiper, real sick of them to leave that out when they giveing features like ABS, Airbags etc etc.
Old 16th November 2008, 02:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Those alloys look bad....
i totally agree with you. they have taken the A "STAR" thing to far lolz.

where are those good looking twin spoke alloys damn why do they have to use thier desi brain with everything. . and the interior looks drab to me. i hope its cheaper than the i10.

also when you are comparing the advantages the i10 gives you more power with a mix of good fuel economy. whereas A-star is intended to give you more economy rather than focus on power i have heard (19.5kmpl) being talked about. this is their new series of engines which are euro 5 ready and are supposed to be fuel efficent. lets see how it turn out it be.

but it should be cheaper than comparable i10 variants.
Old 16th November 2008, 07:18   #64
BHPian

Well, pricing is the key in going after the i10. Maruti did a surpise with SX4 pricing, but then they had to grab the attention in a segment they were not present. Let us see what they do this time.
Old 16th November 2008, 09:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It's under accessories DCEite not under standard features. Aftermarket dealer fitting probably.
I dont think the quality could be upto mark if the sunroof is going to be fitted by a dealer (water leakage may occur as the car roof has to be sciled).

Did anybody noticed, maruti is giving 2 year warranty.

It would had been better if the sunroof could come fitted by company itself like it comes in a i10.
from the side view A-Star looks more like a i10.

I like the looks of the A-Star. Should do well if the priceing is set well.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti  Suzuki A-star Launching on 19th Nov EDIT- Brochure on Page 7-side.jpg  

Maruti  Suzuki A-star Launching on 19th Nov EDIT- Brochure on Page 7-2year.jpg  

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 16th November 2008 at 09:41.
Old 16th November 2008, 10:05   #66
BHPian

Buddy 2 year warranty is a common thing now, the only thing lacking here is 1 cylinder, why couldent Maruti make it a full 4 cylinder car and why has Maruti left out the rear washer out even on the Zxi.( the i10 has it and Wagon R and Santro too). Cost cutting??? Ur right pricing holds the key here. it has to be priced at par with the Estilo/ Wagon R or its not worth and the i10 is more VFM in regards to fit finish and overall quality.

Last edited by madhokritesh : 16th November 2008 at 10:08.
Old 16th November 2008, 10:25   #67
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking that the A-star will be placed is the same segment as WagonR and Estilo. That way those 2 cars could be phased out. After that the Splash would be launched to take on the i10. So the line up would have been Alto, A-star, Splash and Swift.

Instead I have a feeling that they want the A-star to take on the i10. Then where will they position the Splash? Even above the Swift. Then it will have to be Alto, Estilo/WagonR, A-star, Swift, Splash. That looks too crowded and asking more for the Splash which is a segment lower than swift abroad also seems weird.

Let's see what Maruti comes up with.
Old 16th November 2008, 10:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post

1) the only thing lacking here is 1 cylinder, why couldn't Maruti make it a full 4 cylinder car

2) it has to be priced at par with the Estilo/ Wagon R or its not worth and the i10 is more VFM in regards to fit finish and overall quality.
1) The engine still develops 68 bhp and 9.1 KGM of torque. These are better figures than Wagon R/Zen Estilo and this car has better aerodynamics than atleast Wagon R and Santro.
Santro holds around 90cc advantage but the figures of A-star are comparable. Kerb weight is 880kg. Power to weight ratio is 77.2 bhp/tonne. I dont think that this car will be at disadvantage because of 3-cylinder engine.

2) Agree with you. Positioning what is a new Alto nearer to i10 i.e. above Wagon R is not the best thing. But I hope that Maruti finds success. And let us wait for the final announcement on pricing.
Old 16th November 2008, 10:39   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

2) Agree with you. Positioning what is a new Alto nearer to i10 i.e. above Wagon R is not the best thing. But I hope that Maruti finds success. And let us wait for the final announcement on pricing.

I think Maruti is looking at retaining the present alto as the nextgen 800 and phase out m800 slowly. Or m800 could acquire a smaller engine and less frills to compete with Nano.

And this way A-star could be the nextgen Alto.
Old 16th November 2008, 13:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
1) The engine still develops 68 bhp and 9.1 KGM of torque. These are better figures than Wagon R/Zen Estilo and this car has better aerodynamics than atleast Wagon R and Santro.
Santro holds around 90cc advantage but the figures of A-star are comparable. Kerb weight is 880kg. Power to weight ratio is 77.2 bhp/tonne. I dont think that this car will be at disadvantage because of 3-cylinder engine.

A-Star will be powered a all new K-series engine producing 48kW (67PS)
The engine of A-Star is totaly different from wagon R or a santro. The A-Stars CO2 emission will be even lower than 109 gm/km. This is much lower than the European emission norms that require cars to emit 120 gm/km in the future. Lower CO2 levels in cars means the car has superior fuel efficiency and gives a mileage of 20/21 km per litre.

Lets face the truth that the engine is nothing near a Wagon R or a Santro.

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 16th November 2008 at 13:29.
Old 16th November 2008, 13:27   #71
BHPian

Yes if we leave aside the efficiency and the emmission norms aside theres not much in the Astar thats wot i feel, the Santro also wud outclass it easily. Btw the Santro also has the rear wash/wipe which the Astar dosent. IS IT COST CUTTING the Maruti way. Lol!

Last edited by madhokritesh : 16th November 2008 at 13:42.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Lets face the truth that the engine is nothing near a Wagon R or a Santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Yes if we leave aside the efficiency and the emmission norms aside theres not much in the Astar thats wot i feel, the Santro also wud outclass it easily.
Is there anyone of us who has actually driven A-star for a long duration ?
NO. And needless to say I am one of them. I have just heard and read that the engine is good and responsive ( peppy ). Torque is also good.
But I dont think that we can jump to conclusion that Santro/Wagon R will have performance advantage as compared to A-star. Both the cars are unaerodynamic as compared to A-star and if we calculate the power to weight ratio, the scales tilts in favour of A-star.
Lets wait. There is no point is making judgement and coming to conclusions. Me included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I think Maruti is looking at retaining the present alto as the nextgen 800 and phase out m800 slowly. Or m800 could acquire a smaller engine and less frills to compete with Nano.
And this way A-star could be the nextgen Alto.
Unlike other plans, Maruti's plan with A-star looks weird to me.
New Alto costing more than present Wagon R in India! Then where will they put the new Wagon R i.e. Splash, above Swift ?
A-star would represent great value if priced slightly lower than Estilo. Just as Alto replaced M800, the A-star will also replace the Alto. This must be the action plan IMHO.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th November 2008 at 15:22. Reason: Removin rear wash/wipe content out of engine oriented quote.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Alto costing more than present Wagon R in India! Then where will they put the new Wagon R i.e. Splash, above Swift ?
A-star would represent great value if priced slightly lower than Estilo. Just as Alto replaced M800, the A-star will also replace the Alto. This must be the action plan IMHO.
Actually, Splash deserves to be above the swift. Its slightly larger than the swift, going by its dimensions.
Old 16th November 2008, 17:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Any comments about the looks?

Since we have no option other than waiting till the 19th to know the pricing for this car, I wanted to gauge the feedback about the car's look.
A friend of mine said that the headlamps look as if they were inspired by jellyfish! While that can be taken with more than a pinch of salt, I personally feel that the car is ugly.
The design is overly curvy (it seems forced to me) and right after the B-pillar, from the rear door onwards it looks positively ughh. The rear window is again ultra small (looks smaller that a Swift's) and this too would suffer from the swift's much discussed "claustrophobic" glasshouse.

Do you folks agree that the i10 is a clear winner on the looks front? Since, we are discussing looks, the slab sided Indica Vista looks so much more proportionate and taut (IMO).
Old 16th November 2008, 17:33   #75
BHPian

@vid6639: I agree that the A Star should be in the same segment as the Wagon R/Estilo and that the segment is too crowded.

I hope Maruti prices it below the i10 and leaves the Spalsh to battle the i10. A modern, fuel efficient and safe car at that price would have many takers in these not so rosy times.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks