Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 12:26   #5461
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Petrol price at Trivandrum stands at Rs 65 per liter (Indian Oil, Civil Supplies pump).
Filled up petrol yesterday at Chennai and it was Rs60 odd per litre. Significantly cheaper than Kerala prices.
Old 21st April 2016, 16:20   #5462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Filled up petrol yesterday at Chennai and it was Rs60 odd per litre. Significantly cheaper than Kerala prices.
Precisely why I want GST to be implemented. Our road infrastructure is so poor in comparison to Tamil n
Nadu and we still get taxed so much:banghead:.

On another note, wouldn't hydrogen cells be the future coz they emit nothing but water and hydrogen is in abundance . So dosent that make it much better than EVs?
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 18:18   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
Precisely why I want GST to be implemented. Our road infrastructure is so poor in comparison to Tamil n
Nadu and we still get taxed so much:banghead:.

On another note, wouldn't hydrogen cells be the future coz they emit nothing but water and hydrogen is in abundance . So dosent that make it much better than EVs?
I agree with the first part. Having been in Chennai for the last 4 years, the roads were, when compared to Kerala, awesome.

Hydrogen is in many ways an excellent fuel, the problem stems from it's extraction and storage.

I'm not an expert, but, my understanding is that hydrogen is generally produced by splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen using electricity (electrolysis). Now this involves a significant amount of energy, which will come from our usual electrical sources.

The more problematic part is storage, since Hydrogen is a very reactive element and will explosively combust with the slightest hint of Oxygen, it needs to be stored safely and kept out of contact with Oxygen (air) until it is brought into the fuel cell where combustion is controlled using suitable materials/ catalysts (I think Palladium is one of the popular catalysts) and the resultant energy is used to drive the automobile.

I request experts to provide their insights and corrections.

This is probably why as of now Hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicles are still some way from being affordable to produce and run.

Sorry for the post.

With respects to fuel prices, I think there are District wise differences in the prices across Kerala, I filled fuel a few days back at about 64 rupees a litre in Cochin.
Old 21st April 2016, 21:01   #5464
BHPian

Quote:
This will clear the costs and benefits (if any) of Hydrogen as a fuel vs EVs:

http://tonyseba.com/toyota-vs-tesla-can-hydrogen-fuel-cell-vehicles-compete-with-electric-vehicles/

The only remaining defense against EVs is long charging times. A point which is becoming increasingly hollow with latest new super fast charging stations which will be capable feeding electricity in cars at rates of upto 350KWh per hour.

At those speeds, a 10KWh Mahindra E2O can be theoretically charged from empty within 2 minutes, a 30KWh Nissan Leaf in about 5 minutes and a 90KWh Tesla Model S P90D in 15 minutes and 30 seconds. And these times are required if the battery is absolutely flat (which will not often be the case).
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 22:17   #5465
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
With respects to fuel prices, I think there are District wise differences in the prices across Kerala, I filled fuel a few days back at about 64 rupees a litre in Cochin.
Yes the prices are different across districts, but I think the variation isn't much(mostly within the range of zero to thirty paise) and it's the cheapest in Kochi because of low transportation costs from the refinery.
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 00:04   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Is there a increase in prices tonight?
Old 1st May 2016, 00:13   #5467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Is there a increase in prices tonight?

Yes. Petrol is up by Rs.1.06 and diesel is up by Rs.2.94
Old 1st May 2016, 00:49   #5468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Yes. Petrol is up by Rs.1.06 and diesel is up by Rs.2.94
I missed doing a tankfull before this hike. Diesel would be around 3.5 rs more including taxes.
Old 1st May 2016, 08:16   #5469
BANNED

I think the ghost of state control of fuel pricing is finally fading. We are so used to the maai-baap sarkar it will take some time to sink in. In the UK fuel prices can be revised even twice a day. Last fortnight the cu surprised me but now with Brent above $46 this was on the cards.

After Chandigarh, Haryana is also going Kerosene free so Now may be the time to start monitoring the diversion of subsidized Kerosene into Diesel.
Old 1st May 2016, 09:07   #5470
BANNED

Quote:
.......On another note, wouldn't hydrogen cells be the future coz they emit nothing but water and hydrogen is in abundance .....
Hello VRPAI, I too have fondly dreamt of this scenario! Unfortunately, even tho' hydrogen is in abundance in nature, it is not freely available - it is bound up with oxygen in the water molecule. And the electrical energy necessary to separate the two - by electrolysis - on the scale needed to save the planet, makes the process economically unattractive. Unless and until we harness solar power on the requisite scale. Efforts to do just this is an on-going technological race across the globe!
Old 1st May 2016, 11:36   #5471
BHPian

Damn...was going to do a Tankful late last night but my regular pump had closed out for the day. Did not know there was going to be such a steep hike in Diesel...
Old 1st May 2016, 13:17   #5472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the ghost of state control of fuel pricing is finally fading.
State control of fuel pricing at the pump has actually increased. If fuel price ever falls, state compensates for it by hiking the excise duty. Deregulation has been turned into a joke.
carboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:57   #5473
Senior - BHPian

Here is a very good video by Bloomberg on how EVs can cause the next oil crisis.

deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 11:50   #5474
BHPian

The timing of this price hike is really bizarre. I had attached two images here. One of them is about the crude price and the other is about Rupee to dollar value. Currently the crude oil price had declined and Indian Rupee is stronger to dollar. Both these values, which IOC normally quote for price increase is on India's side,then why there is a need for increase now?
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-crude-oil-price-.jpg  

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-doolor-rupee-chart.png  

Last edited by commonman : 4th May 2016 at 12:09.
Old 4th May 2016, 12:35   #5475
BHPian

I am no expert in how to correlate International Crude Oil and Pump Price, but feel that one has to follow what is Indian Crude Basket Price over a fortnight which determines the price. The following link mentions day to day Indian Crude Basket price movement in INR and what was the average considered for last fortnightly change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks