Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 11:43   #346
BHPian

Well said. Joslicx. Yes, Mumbai attacks were unfortunate. And many Indians die here and there in riots, accidents, fake police encounters, etc. etc. Yes, it is unfornate. But everything goes on as usual as far as I can see and tell in India, except those foreigners cancelling visits to India.

Everyday is a good day. Calendars are just for measurement of time dimension. I'm definitely not stupid enough to be so superstitious like "December means soon-to-be-a-year-old model" or like "auspicious day/star". People were born without the help of the stars, at least before these crazy ideas of unhealthy lifestyled people, not fit for a normal delivery, decide on the date and time of the caesarean operation based on stars.

When launch is delayed for three months, then people said, we already waited for a year and thus another 3 months wouldn't hurt. Now, people say, another month wouldn't hurt. What does all these mean? I don't think any other company would have handled the launch this badly, not even Tata. There is no official date, like we saw for Altis, ANHC, A star, etc. Even a postponement comes almost like a rumour. Nothing from the company.

Yes, I wanted Fiat Linea. I held my breadth so long. Sure I can wait for a couple more months. But for once I felt like waiting, not for a Fiat product, but for something else, more trustable and more reliable.

Ultimately, I have no right to talk like this, because the company has all the rights whether to launch a product or not.

It is just that I shy away from this company, even if it makes fantastic products.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:46   #347
BHPian

. I am spending more time at the Reuters, TOI, CNN and NDTV websites then team-bhp in the recent past.

Come out from mourning man be cheerful instead of glueing with news channel think about the changes we can make in micro or macro level to bring this terrorism to its knees

Life will go on as it has done for millions of years, think about thoousands of farmers who died of starvations and debts or the genocide or millions who died in war, have we stopped functioning after all these ?

Think about Japan how they came out after nuke attack to become NO 1 in economy have they been postponing all developments and launches i wonder what would have happen to that country
Old 10th December 2008, 11:52   #348
BHPian

on the 5th of december i saw 2 linea's at pune here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea Production Started-linea.jpg  

Last edited by nawabnabeel : 10th December 2008 at 11:57.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:55   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Come out from mourning man be cheerful instead of glueing with news channel think about the changes we can make in micro or macro level to bring this terrorism to its knees
I not looking at news to mourn but to find out latest info on how the attacks happened and if we are, at least this time, anywhere close to bringing the criminals to justice. I am going about my normal day today life. The last three days I have had dinner at various restaurants and have gone to malls too. That's not the point. The point is a new car launch, whether it's a Linea, a Nano or a BMW, is the last thing in my mind and I know there are plenty of people who think the same way.

Besides, it's not just the terror attacks at play here. Don't forget the economic slowdown that's hit the auto industry bad. We are OEM suppliers to many auto makers and we know how bad the situation is.

Besides, what about foreigners not coming to India? If the Linea is launched with no big shots from Fiat Italy we will be flaming them for not taking India seriously! And, I hope Fiat doesn't launch the car from a showroom. It's a make or break car for the company and understandably, they will be looking to have a high profile launch with all the glitz and glamour. A 5 Star hotel seems like a perfect place to get the car into India.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:59   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
That sounded like our ex-deputy CM talking!

Trust me, if Mumbai wasn't an isolated incident no one, including you, would be going to work anywhere in India. Firing everywhere and anywhere inside train stations, hotels and cafe's are isolated incidents and thank God for that!

Are u trying to say we will not wittness terror attacks again after Mumbai don't be so stupid unless we take defensive instead of always taking actions after each incident this is not be going to stop

Our politicians don't have the spine or will power to act like a Israel or US for preventive strikes against Pak which is the root cause for all, we have waited for 60 long years and we will wait again for another 60 years without any change
Old 10th December 2008, 12:07   #351
BHPian

Quote:
I not looking at news to mourn but to find out latest info on how the attacks happened and if we are, at least this time, anywhere close to bringing the criminals to justice. I am going about my normal day today life. The last three days I have had dinner at various restaurants and have gone to malls too. That's not the point. The point is a new car launch, whether it's a Linea, a Nano or a BMW, is the last thing in my mind and I know there are plenty of people who think the same way.

Besides, it's not just the terror attacks at play here. Don't forget the economic slowdown that's hit the auto industry bad. We are OEM suppliers to many auto makers and we know how bad the situation is.

pls don't forget the new City is selling like hot cakes if the product is too good there is no point to wait for a comeback economy

Besides, what about foreigners not coming to India? If the Linea is launched with no big shots from Fiat Italy we will be flaming them for not taking India seriously! And, I hope Fiat doesn't launch the car from a showroom. It's a make or break car for the company and understandably, they will be looking to have a high profile launch with all the glitz and glamour. A 5 Star hotel seems like a perfect place to get the car into India.

If English players are safe and playing here i understand why Italians are afraid to come here When world leader TOYOTA launches C+ segement sedan car why not FIAT if they don't prefer Star hotel
Old 10th December 2008, 12:32   #352
Senior - BHPian

There is only one reason why I am waiting for the Linea - and that is the GP. Linea is a case of make-or-break for Fiat. There is only one reason why we see hazaar threads on Linea - because the product is fantastic - Or atleast it seems to be.

The company has the right to launch it or not, but at the end of the day its the customer who is the king. People might argue that my decision to not go for a Fiat would do no harm to the company's balance sheet. But if 1000 people think so, then Fiat is going to be doomed.

I dont know what arrogance (I can call it) is Fiat trying to show by delaying it again and again. They have no tremendous reputation such as Toyota here. The only reason why we discuss Fiat products, is because there are too many Fiat fans around, who simply love their products and at times blindly too.

I think its high time we put all discussions about the Linea to rest. Atleast till we see another mailer (hoax) from dealers confirming the launch.

And regarding the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks, Airlines are still flying in foreigners. Though not in significant numbers. Life moves on. I still celebrate Manchester United victories (So what if it takes a Central defender to win games). I think Fiat should have gone and stuck with the Dec 16 date - and put across a clear message. "So what if M&M delays launches, we are not scared". But if that happens, then pigs, dogs and cats will all fly!!
Old 10th December 2008, 12:40   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That sounded like our ex-deputy CM talking!

Trust me, if Mumbai wasn't an isolated incident no one, including you, would be going to work anywhere in India. Firing everywhere and anywhere inside train stations, hotels and cafe's are isolated incidents and thank God for that!
Well sir how does it matter if u die from a bullet or a bomb when u have terrorists striking! Before nov there were bomb blasts in trains in mum (multiple times), blasts in delhi, varanasi, jaipur, gujarat etc etc. Has anything changed? The news channels are doing their best to mint money for themselves , providing 24hr live coverage and all... Right now its on national media as it is the most important event to happen in last few days. In next few days there will be something else that will become more important and all this mumbai sentiments will be conviniently forgotten. Life will go on as usual.. as always has happened. If you live in a sense of security then it is really a false one! In India common people's lives mean nothing...

And People dont have a choice. We all cant just leave India and go somewhere else safer. What can anybody do. You cannot absolutely guarantee that another Mumbai wont happen or another bomb blast wont. In that perspective only I said these things happen and we have gotten used to it now...
Old 10th December 2008, 12:59   #354
BHPian

If Fiat is so serious about India - then they have to consider India as a complete package with the safety situation et. al. They cannot say we are committed, we see India as a big market and then the top management shies away from coming here.

Postponement of launch due to the Mumbai attack is a truck load of BS, in my opinion. The actual reason most likely could be 1) not being ready for the launch OR 2) develop cold feet - because auto sales are down, discounts are the order of the day etc. etc. and for Fiat to be successful the launch has to result in considerable sales for it to pick any momentum. The latter seems to be the case here and of course Fiat is clueless on how to respond in such scenario.

What is surely poor is that there is no official communication from Fiat on expected launch dates which indicates that they are not confident of themselves - and they are losing potential customers and more importantly the big risk is that by the time they launch, market would have moved forward and Fiat may have to go home crying.

~maniac
Old 10th December 2008, 13:09   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
If English players are safe and playing here i understand why Italians are afraid to come here When world leader TOYOTA launches C+ segement sedan car why not FIAT if they don't prefer Star hotel
As I have already said, a couple of our Japanese suppliers too cancelled their visit to India due to the terror attacks. The meeting was to be held in our office in Navi Mumbai and they still backed out due to advisory from their government. Mind you, the visit wasn't postponed but cancelled. Toyota didn't launch the car after the terror attacks. Besides, why can't M&M launch their xylo? They don't even have any foreigners to invite! The delay in launch is a combination of terror attacks and depressed economic scenario. I am still wondering why all the flak for Fiat and none for M&M?

I don't mind the delay. I really like Fiat products but at this time, I couldn't be bothered about a new car, Fiat or non-Fiat. But that's me. However, I respect the frustration some people are having about the delay.

As for the terror attacks and the discussion, we have a separate thread for that. Let's not take this thread off topic.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:19   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still wondering why all the flak for Fiat and none for M&M?
Thats because nobody is interested in Xylo or whatever it is called but lot many are excited about Linea

Those interested in Xylo though might also be cursing M&M on other threads!

More delays would only mean Fiat losing more customers. In these times when cars age so fast and there are so many new launches happening all the time it makes sense to ask if it is indeed sane on Fiat's part to keep delaying. For how much time is Linea going to remain a "fresh" product? Honda City has a life of 3 years (when it is replaced by another model or is facelifted). Linea is I think already more than a year old car. I fear it might just go Palio way (excellent but outdated) if Fiat persist with this kind of thinking/working.
Old 10th December 2008, 14:06   #357
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I fear it might just go Palio way (excellent but outdated) if Fiat persist with this kind of thinking/working.
Maybe you are right but don't you think the Palio has been not only given a new lease of life but rather has been completely re-juvinated with the Palio stile. Guess they are getting more customers now than ever before.

I for one is seriously considering the Palio now with its new fresh looks and also having a ear out for the launch of the Grande Punto! Any idea guys on the time for probable launch of that?
Old 10th December 2008, 15:38   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
Maybe you are right but don't you think the Palio has been not only given a new lease of life but rather has been completely re-juvinated with the Palio stile. Guess they are getting more customers now than ever before.
I think Fiat did only a half job with Palio. The exteriors were redone and look quite good. But what about interiors? Are people not supposed to enjoy interiors? The console looks many generations older. Still those analog KM counters in 2008!!! Even M800 has digital console and all... Not to mention aircon vents etc etc... The design is very unEuropean to say.
If only they could improve its interior design (at least something close to the likes of i10 etc) this car can prove a sleeper hit!
Old 10th December 2008, 17:22   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post

I for one is seriously considering the Palio now with its new fresh looks and also having a ear out for the launch of the Grande Punto! Any idea guys on the time for probable launch of that?

Best Joke of the Year "launch date of GP" may be a new thread can help this out how about 'Expecting grand Punto shortly'
Old 10th December 2008, 18:13   #360
BHPian

The Thread was about the Linea production and not the launch! This is going completely The debate going on right now is nowhere related to the topic!

The car is in complete production and is just awaiting for the launch and this is well confirmed by our friend
muneemmk!!

Mods - Until there is a news about changes in the Production line up in Linea,
can this thread be closed!

Last edited by rudrah : 10th December 2008 at 18:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks