Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 18:40   #361
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Best Joke of the Year "launch date of GP" may be a new thread can help this out how about 'Expecting grand Punto shortly'
Maybe... but you might want to have a look at these links.

http://news.techwhack.com/6579-fiat-grand-punto-linea

Indian Car Blog | Automotive News | Automobile Car Industry | Carazoo
Old 10th December 2008, 19:13   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I am still wondering why all the flak for Fiat and none for M&M?
I think people perceive FIAT India has a habitual defaulter whereas M&M get away as this is probably their first time in delaying the launch of a new vehicle. Besides, as is quite evident from the multiple threads on the Linea in this forum - folks now want the Linea in India – international version, shortchanged version, Diesel / Petrol –something, anything. The passion for the Linea is tremendous whereas the wait has been quite painful. I doubt the Xylo generates the same amount of zeal as the Linea.

Personally, I would love Linea to be a Honda / Toyota / Hyundai / Maruti / Chevrolet thrasher. I had hoped that the Linea would go one better than all the cars currently offered in its segment in the Indian market, which, if some recent reviews are to be believed, in some aspects it does but it still isn't quite there, something that FIAT India should not have done. Why distinguish the Indian Linea from the international variant. As Diesel is not my cup of tea, my focus is on the Petrol variant and as I have mentioned several times before in my various posts on the Linea that (for myself), I would be interested in the Linea only if the 1.4 16 V T-Jet (120bHp) is offered. I would have loved to have owned a T-Jet powered, Emotion variant Linea knowing well enough that my car is better equipped to whip the pants off the competition.

Of course (amongst others), these are a few features available internationally - six air bags and fog lights with automatic air conditioning, electrical lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, parking and rain sensors plus alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, ESP, ASR, MSR and Hillholder-HBA along with the passive safety features like Air-Bag Smart2 System, Side and Roof air bags, Front racked seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and all the accessory options like Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims, Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate, Aluminum pedal covers and footrest, Carpet mats, Aluminum plates and Window Winders - but I doubt if FIAT India will give them all.

Features aside, in all likeliness the Petrol Linea will be available with the 95bHp, 16v, 1368cc twin-cam Grande Punto engine, which just does not cut it for me. Outside of that the frustration built up by the frequent delays in the launch.

Sigh! Procrastination could just prove to be FIAT India’s nemesis…
Old 10th December 2008, 19:41   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
Thats a 14 month old post from a speculative blog, hardly useful.

Actually I am in the same boat as those interested in Grande Punto. But the delay in Linea launch shouldn't have much impact on Punto.

Regrading the Linea launch, FIAT seems to be taking extra cautious approach. Even though the delay is justified, they should have announced the launch date. By not announcing the launch they are going to lose out the those who don't even know about 'Linea' at this point.
Old 10th December 2008, 21:49   #364
Senior - BHPian

I think the delay is launch can also be attributed to the economic slump with most people holding off on new car purchases. Fiat is hoping that the mood will be better in Jan.
Old 11th December 2008, 07:12   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I think the delay is launch can also be attributed to the economic slump with most people holding off on new car purchases. Fiat is hoping that the mood will be better in Jan.

How do u justify the roaring sales of New Honda City which could not meet the demand right in Chennai & has a booking period of 1 month
Old 11th December 2008, 07:44   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do u justify the roaring sales of New Honda City which could not meet the demand right in Chennai & has a booking period of 1 month
Please note NHC was launched before Nov-26 terror attacks, so there was no issues, but Linea was scheduled for Dec-16 launch.

If Fiat has postponed the date, it has good reasons for the same, and atleast some of us can understand that.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:27   #367
mxx
BHPian

So, what is it that makes Linea one of the most awaited car?
Old 11th December 2008, 11:41   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
So, what is it that makes Linea one of the most awaited car?
1. Its a good product, and the diesel is a perfect slot between the fiesta and the Verna, offering a compromise on both fronts.

2. The entire future of FIAT in India may rest on its shoulders! (As Palio is almost dead, and Grande Punto is going to be in a very tough segment!)
Old 11th December 2008, 11:48   #369
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
(As Palio is almost dead, and Grande Punto is going to be in a very tough segment!)
Palio is completely re-juvinated with the Palio Stile! Good looks and nice motor specially the diesel variant. Don't you think we are seeing more new Palios theses days on Indian roads???
Also the Grande Punto would be one car which could give the Hyundai's and Suzuki's a run for their money if it is brought in the same form that it is sold abroad!
Old 11th December 2008, 11:49   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As Palio is almost dead, and Grande Punto is going to be in a very tough segment!)
Palio almost dead? Didn't know that....!

Palio will remain as entry-level hatch from Fiat, and if you don't believe me, Fiat's Service Head had given a statement recently that Palio will continue to be in production.

G Punto will be positioned as a premium hatch.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:37   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
Palio is completely re-juvinated with the Palio Stile! Good looks and nice motor specially the diesel variant. Don't you think we are seeing more new Palios theses days on Indian roads???
That discussion would be OT here. Anyways, sales are just 285 cars a month last time, which is only around 35% of the target they announced when they launched the multijet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alysis-89.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Palio almost dead? Didn't know that....!
Palio will remain as entry-level hatch from Fiat, and if you don't believe me, Fiat's Service Head had given a statement recently that Palio will continue to be in production.

G Punto will be positioned as a premium hatch.
I didnt say the Palio was going to be out-of-production. But the figures are negligible to give the company any profit. And, even the multijet hasnt raised its numbers. The sales are nearing levels before multijet launch.

And Grande Punto is going into a virtually non-existent segment, where cars like SRV and Fabia have tried and failed. If you notice, Fabia sales have fallen even below that of Palio!

So, Linea is going to be the most important product in the FIAT line-up.

OT: Now in tokyo? Cool!
Old 11th December 2008, 15:58   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That discussion would be OT here. Anyways, sales are just 285 cars a month last time, which is only around 35% of the target they announced when they launched the multijet.
True but 2007-08 Palio sales are actually up 103%. 2007-08 Tata sales, on the other hand, are down 6.3%.

Compared to November 07, November 08 Palio sales are up almost 18%. Only GM fares better with Hyundai, Maruti and Tata seeing a fall.

Didn't Fiat have a target of selling 6000 Palio Stiles this year? They have touched 3298 units till November.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:04   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Didn't Fiat have a target of selling 6000 Palio Stiles this year? They have touched 3298 units till November.
How can Fiat think of making money if they only plan to sell 6000 Palios (a small car) in a year??? Swift sells more than this number in a month!!!

6000 must be the number they should target per month if they want to make any serious money. Remember for smaller cars, margins are not much.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:37   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
City is always been an exception. Its one of the most awaited cars of the year from a company that has fantastic brand value.

Take a look at the overall sales charts for the last quarter. Lot of plants are idling production due to the global recession. Mumbai terror attacks has very little to do with it. Maybe they have some internal issues and are using this as a lame excuse.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:19   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
City is always been an exception. Its one of the most awaited cars of the year from a company that has fantastic brand value.

Take a look at the overall sales charts for the last quarter. Lot of plants are idling production due to the global recession. Mumbai terror attacks has very little to do with it. Maybe they have some internal issues and are using this as a lame excuse.

I agree City is an exeption, What baffles me is why should a car launch be delayed due to economic recession or terrorism as its not a month affair to get into normal mode, its definetly going to take a year or so to get back our economy or if its terrorism it may take years to clean our backyard, which needs political will IMO i sincerely doubt whether our politicians have it, so as u said may be internal issues

Most Viewed