Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 18:25   #196
Senior - BHPian

Nice Sierra.
A/C in a Sierra is always a problem as the fuse is a weak link.
Good fancy number.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:55   #197

The suspension job has also been recently done. The AC is fine and I think I am lucky I got this car. Met the mechanic this afternoon who did maximum work on the car and he explained all the work that he put into the car to get it into the current shape. The mechanic assured me that the engine is in top shape and so is the car and with careful handling and servicing attention should not give problems for at least 25K kms.

I told him that I planned to go on a long drive soon to either Mumbai or Bangalore and what are some of the things I should be ready with. He said "just two. Ensure that you check the radiator at regular intervals every few days and on long trips ensure that you carry some extra coolant with you." He explained that the previous owner had done two recent holiday trips one of which was to Bangalore and had reported no incidents. In fact the previous owner stated that the Sierra gave a run for money to some other cars (read SUVs) and got admiring looks from every one.

I don't have modifications planned as such except maybe I will tinker a bit with the rear seats to solve the 'getting into the rear seat issue'. Maybe have two separate seats with a gap in between (like the innova) in the second rowa and two facing seats right at the back a la safari. That way people can also use the rear door to get into the second row and I make it a 6 seater.

Friends, do let me know your thoughts on the seating I have in mind. What do you think?
Old 31st March 2010, 16:35   #198
BHPian

Syed... great buy man. Also apart from carrying extra coolant, also do carry extra fuses or copper wire. Suspensions also seem to be a primal problem of a second hand bull. Replace suspensions if there's a problem and drive the bull well. The 2 wheel drive sierra is not meant for offroading. Its more of a mini truck. But thats the fun of it. On highways, it just feels the best.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:05   #199
BHPian

coolant level

syedirfan and Advyth:

my opinion is that if there is no leak in coolant system (hoses, radiator), or loss of coolant due to leak in compression or a head gasket issue, the level of coolant will not go down in a Sierra. once topped up and level maintained in the coolant tank, it will remain in proper levels.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:07   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advyth View Post
Sunil, a fellow member actually knows a guy in Kerala who does this. I'm planning to turn my sierra into a 4 door car. One gull wing door on the left back side should really do good for the beast. Also... has anyone tried a voltage stabilizer on the sierra? its not too much of help to other cars but to this fuse blowing wild gaur, it might just make the difference. Anyone with electrical backgroud, could it help?

Cheers.
Hi Advyth - The workshop is owned by my uncle (Color World, Thrissur, Kerala). Folks, any modiffications for the Sierra please keep in touch (9880445787)
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:44   #201
BHPian

Hey Sunil, Pardon me. Your uncle's workshop... right.

Guys is the Tata Gurkha same as the Sierra?

Cheers.
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:57   #202
BHPian

Very well maintained simply superb to see your car, congrats on a great purchase Looking for trouble under the hood!, Don't worry it 'll find you sooner than you think...
Old 12th April 2010, 17:04   #203
BHPian

I got to drive my beast around finally, and boy does it satisfy. I just love the way this beast feels to drive. In the city, I hardly need exceed 2200 rpm, the turbo rarely gets an oppurtunity to kick in but it glides. The whistle of the air intake totally blows my mind away. The car feels like a truck when you drive but thats the fun of it (Regal and Rolling).

But take him out on the highway and he sudddenly comes alive. Smooth is an understatement to describe its feel at higher speeds. At 2500 rpm you feel the turbo kick in and it rockets you to 3000rpm where it delivers quite some torque. Reaching its top speed of 130 kmph is really no sweat, it does it with ease and feels good at that too. I've had so many circumstances where i'm doing 130 and the engine still begs to accelerate. Ideally though one should drive this beast at a comfortable 80-110 kmph.

I've changed the worn out tires to Geolanders, stock size. Changed the entire clutch assembly (I'd like to spoil my own clutch). Apart from the initial fuse and power window hiccup, which got totally solved after I replaced the wrongly rated fuses with the right ones and of course lubrication of power windows.

Before I bought the car i was contemplating buying a small car. I had a tight budget and could only either get a very used Old Zen or Wagon R or the likes. After dilly dallying for a month, i decided to go for this beast and trust me, I dont regret it one bit now. The best part is that everytime I need to travel, it puts a smile on my face. Now thats what i really wanted.

These are the updated pics.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-dsc_0036.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-dsc_0197.jpg  

Advyth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2010, 18:30   #204
Senior - BHPian

advyth that's one clean looking Sierra you have at your disposal. Is that tail lamp assembly from a Victa ?
Old 12th April 2010, 22:43   #205
BHPian

those bumper lamps were standard in the turbo sierra. its actually a good way to identify the turbo. and advyth dude i am truly envious. have been looking for this car for almost a year and i only find na sierras. the ones with turbos dont sell them. you are lucky to have found one and such a good example of a sierra at that
Old 13th April 2010, 01:28   #206
BHPian

Thanks guys. Couldn't have made a choice without reading up on TBHP. Glad for this community.

Yes the Tail lights come as standard. Thats the first thing i checked in the car. Whether all lights work, and yes all lights light up. It actually looks pretty good from behind with the lights on (because they work of course, hate non working or broken lights).

I too had to look all over heaven and earth to find a decent sierra. Had almost given up. Finally I stumbled upon this car and fell in love with it, The seller recognised the want and quoted 2L for it. Finally settled it down for 1.4L.

(@ mycarhasablower). Please don't settle for an NA. It'll feel a little underpowered on highways. Especially if its old. I seriously am lucky to find this car. Has a beautifully maintained engine. Hope you find a well maintained turbo Sierra. It'll definately escalate your driving pleasure.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:34   #207
BHPian

Guys if a turbo sierra is giving lots of black smoke on revving then should i safely assume that the engine needs a rebuild. Also a mechanic suggested that if you are looking for a sierra turbo look for one with a good engine since an engine rebuild on a turbo sierra 'done the right way' cost 75k is this true, if not then how much does it really cost? Experienced owners please shed some light. Also how much does a suspension redo cost?

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 9th May 2010 at 02:46.
Old 9th May 2010, 14:20   #208
BHPian

I love the look of that orange Sierra a few pages back, nicely executed, here's one i just found on the net, i kind of like it, would be nicer with out the stickers though. The Safari grill gives a very aggresive stance to th ride.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-3.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-2.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-4.jpg  

Old 1st August 2010, 16:42   #209
BHPian

Got my NA from a fellow teambhpian.

Day one started with the power window and indicators failing within 5 kms of me purchising the bull. Water was poring in from the corner of a leaking roof. I was convinced I got a lemon ! Girlfriend looking at me and wondering aloud 'Why do you need another vehicle ? That too a 15 year old? Is this your quarter-life crisis kicking in or what?”

Day 2: Was on the Bandra Worli Sealink and was still getting used to the 'reverse' box. Realised I don’t have to slow down for those irritating speed bumps. Hmm not too bad.

Day 3: I started realizing the bull has a temperament of his own. Give just the right amount of twist during the ignition and no issues with starting the engine. Hold the gear up for 5 seconds before slotting into reverse and you don’t have to struggle with exercising all you arm muscles. If the power window stops working give one punch towards the lower end of the door while keeping the button pressed.

Weekend: Went for a drive to Shahpur and Bhatsa Dam. The river had overflown and had to go over knee deep water (pics attached). Didn’t have to think twice before crossing. The Sierra has now firmly established itself as the vehicle of choice and I will ensure adequate funds are allocated for upkeep and maintenance

The short term plans include

- Paint job from the current Ferrari red to a more sober (and realistic) color.
- Alloys and tyres (Any suggestions on the wheels?)
- Superking blower for the ac
- Safari wheel cover for the 5th Wheel. Costs a cool 4.5k at TASS. Painting it is a further cost !!
- Weel arch mudgaurds from the Sierra Turbo. Not sure if the 207's can be fitted on the NA Sierra. Any idea ?
- Headlights from the 207 and I am good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Tata Sierra-img00300201007241335.jpg  

Pics: Tata Sierra-img00302201007241336.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2010 at 20:11. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Saptarshi B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 00:25   #210
BHPian

The short term plans include

- Paint job from the current Ferrari red to a more sober (and realistic) color.
is it worth the trouble.? i got mine repainted a month ago.50 K
- Alloys and tyres (Any suggestions on the wheels?)
Alloys. got mine changed to alloys/geolandars at Tyrestore in chennai. with a slight offset the tyre now scrapes the plastic fenders that exist on the turbo model how ever u may not have the same problem on the NA.think twice before switching to alloys.a slight offset caused enough trouble for me

- Superking blower for the ac

a/c most likely have a look at the possibility of a leak causing you to top up the gas every 3 months

- Safari wheel cover for the 5th Wheel. Costs a cool 4.5k at TASS. Painting it is a further cost !!

alloys and Geolandars give look not matched by any safari wheel cover

- Wheel arch mudguards from the Sierra Turbo. Not sure if the 207's can be fitted on the NA Sierra. Any idea ?

no idea plus my mechanic tried getting the plastic wheel arch cover as i damaged one in a shunt.. i believe they are no longer available in the market. do let me know if you find one

- Headlights from the 207 and I am good to go.

yes they do.still need a bit of tinkering,also recently saw headlights from the sumo victa which feature the curved part also on another Bangalore sierra. you need to tinker the front to get it fixed

hope the answers helped you , from personal experience i would say everything positive about the car. but if u want to spend money there is no end to it as this car crop's up with some trouble or the other right when u spent a lot money on it.You really have to own a Honda to know the difference i own both.

Last edited by abishek2222 : 8th August 2010 at 00:32. Reason: added info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks