Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached-18.html)

Guess we shouldnt jump the gun, and misinterpret road tax to be the same as entry tax. The two are different.

I was just wondering, why cant someone use the same reasoning provided by the High Court in this judgement to fight against the imposition of road tax when a vehicle is run in a different state?

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1400970)
Guess we shouldnt jump the gun, and misinterpret road tax to be the same as entry tax. The two are different.

I was just wondering, why cant someone use the same reasoning provided by the High Court in this judgement to fight against the imposition of road tax when a vehicle is run in a different state?

The purposes are different. Road Tax is a fee for the cost of providing roads, hence you pay road tax when you use the roads of a state for more than a certain number of months. Entry tax is a barrier to entry into the state.

The first is legitimate, the latter is violative of constitution.

As stated in news, is there no dealership for Volvo cars in Bangalore?

There is one more way Karnataka RTO is encashing on consumers' unawareness.

RTO rule says that

Cost of the vehicle in relation to a motor vehicle means -
(a) In respect of a vehicle manufactured in India, cost of the vehicle as per the purchase invoice issued either by the manufacturer or by the dealer of the vehicle including the excise duty, sales tax, surcharge or cess, entry tax etc., as payable in the State of Karnataka;

but, dealers insits on road tax based on the ex-showroom price and not on invoice value. If I am getting a discount on ex-showroom price, my invoice value will be lesser and then why should I pay based on ex-showroom price? Since the road tax % is higher in Bangalore, a 25 K discount on ex-showroom will result in appox. Rs.3250 lesser road tax. Here, I am forced to pay tax for an amount I haven't paid. I am trying to talk to RTO people on this.

(I have posted similar opinion on other threads, just thought of sharing views on road tax here as well. Please bear with me)

So is it safe now to go out with non karanaka registered vehicle or still there is some more air to be cleared:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun1100 (Post 1400691)
The roads in Bangalore are all time best right now. Cant expect more than this......

:confused: :confused:
I think I live in another Bangalore in some alternate universe where the roads are potholed and full of speedbreakers.
Our roads were indeed the best (if a bit narrow) during the initial days of the Bangalore boom. However, its a different story now. And we should definitely expect and demand much more than this.
All the taxes and infrastructure cesses seem to be vanishing into thin air.

Please read the view point by Bangalore Additional Commissioner for Traffic as published in yesterday's Times of India. The key points in this article are

What document am I expected to carry?

You are to carry your original driving license and insurance certificate. Buses, taxies and auto rickshaws must have permit and fitness certificate. These documents should be produced for inspection if a police officer asks for them. Alternatively, you can get a MASTER Card from the RTO which is proof that the driver has all valid documents. With this card, you don’t need to carry other documents.

Will policemen stop me for checking documents?

All police officers have been clearly instructed not to stop motorists to merely check documents. Only if a motorist commits some traffic violation can he be stopped, his documents checked, and be penalized.

Who can receive payment of spot fine?

Only assistant sub-inspector (one star), police sub-inspector (two star) and police inspector (three star) are authorized to receive payments against violation and issue a receipt. No constable or head constable can issue a receipt and, therefore, receive a payment. They can, however, record the violations on the basis of which violation ticket will follow. In case a constable or head constable threatens you with spot fine, insist on getting a receipt and the chances are he will let you go because he is not authorized to issue a receipt or receive money.

Can police penalize vehicles with number plates of other states?

No. The police are not authorized to penalize anyone for having the number plate of another state.

Why have I received a violation ticket for a vehicle I have already sold?

Notices are generated by computers picking up address from transport department records. The very fact you have received a notice means that vehicle continues to be in your name in the records, even though you might have sold it. Selling a vehicle without insisting on change of ownership is a very a dangerous practice. Signing a delivery note is no guarantee of change of ownership. You have to insist on the buyer registering the vehicle in his name, failing which you have to get it done yourself at the RTO. Unless you do so, you will continue to receive violation notices. Worse things can happen if the vehicle is involved in a fatal accident or terrorist activity. You will have to suffer the consequences

The detailed article can be found at -> Broke the rule? Cough up the fine but insist on getting a receipt

Thanks
Rajesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 1425860)
you can get a MASTER Card from the RTO which is proof that the driver has all valid documents. With this card, you don’t need to carry other documents.

Has anyone got this or in a process to getting this? i m checking this today with Indira Nagar RTO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 1425876)
Has anyone got this or in a process to getting this? i m checking this today with Indira Nagar RTO.

Watch out. These cards (Green Cards) in UP are not even valid in the adjoining district. A colleague went to Lucknow (all of 80km) to pick up somebody from the airport and when checking they refused to accept the Green Card and demanded the cocuments. He had to pay some baksheesh to the cops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 1425860)
Can police penalize vehicles with number plates of other states?

No. The police are not authorized to penalize anyone for having the number plate of another state.

LOL. He should open his eyes and look on the streets what his force is upto.

If they cant penalize what can they do? Just smile and wave, smile and wave - Madagascar Penguins. :D

Quote:

GSMINC in here has this card for quite sometime. May be you can check with him.

Quote:

Have a look at the following thread. Contains step by step procedure to get one Master Pass. And not Master Card :Frustrati

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-carried.html

Hi. Here is a judgement that everyone with this problem will find very useful. It states that a person is allowed to use an out of state car in another state without paying the road tax for that state, provided the car has not been there for over a year. I suggest you to keep a copy of this in your car and flash it to the cops next time you get caught.

Incidentally it is against the state of Karnataka. A relative of mine was caught for using a Goa registered car in Hubli, Karnataka. Instead of coughing up the tax and fine like all of us he took the Karnataka RTO to court and won!! I hope everyone finds this useful.

Cheers!

That is some thing interesting, though, didn't find any such info in the papers as this is a topic of interest to lots of people in KA. Was this judgement made by the High Court ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 1400898)
I hope we are not misinterpreting this verdict from HC, its about "Entry Tax" and not "Road Tax".

Any new vehicle(3-4 yrs old) migrating into Karnataka has to pay Entry tax + Road tax.

So the Entry Tax is gone, Road tax remains as it is, at the current rates.

But this is definitely a landmark judgement, a reference to this judment can be made and a petition filed as to make the road tax also uniform across the state (although its a state subject) but the constitution defines it

"The object of our Constitution makers was free movement and exchange of goods throughout India."

No Law whether state or central can contravent the constitution. Inhouse lawyers can shed some insight into this.

Pls see my earlier post with the attached judgement which says that the Governement cannot even levy road tax on an out of state car if it has been there for less than a year.