Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached-28.html)

Thanks Rajesh for that info

Guys

If the car is registered in UP and then bought to Bangalore. The car is registered under my cousin's name who is Armed forces and I will be driving it for a year or so in Bangalore.

Will the Traffic Police still stop or argue for Armed forces vehicles?

Well, if they have reason to suspect, the owner will need to prove his identity and location

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 1843607)
Those points I know are

1. Near to BTM Watertank
2. The turn towards Shopper's Stop from Jayadeva at Bannerghatta Road

Mean while one of my friend has filed an RTI petition to understand how long a non-KA vehicle can run in KA without paying tax. Will post the update once he get the reply.

Thanks
Rajesh

No need for RTI, its there on the RTO website

Quote:

1. What I have to do when I bring an other state vehicle to Karnataka State ?
How the tax is assessed?Change of address has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

If the vehicle is purchased from outside state bearing other state registration mark then Transfer of ownership has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

Before using the vehicle in the state of Karnataka you should pay Motor vehicle Tax.
But there is also a catch which they have not mentioned, if you choose not to change the registration later and eventually decide to move out of Karnataka, you cannot get your pro-rate refund since thats done against a KA registered vehicle only. Therefore to get refund you must register here too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi98 (Post 1940862)
Guys

If the car is registered in UP and then bought to Bangalore. The car is registered under my cousin's name who is Armed forces and I will be driving it for a year or so in Bangalore.

Will the Traffic Police still stop or argue for Armed forces vehicles?

Put an Army sticker on the front windshield, keep a copy of his ID as I dont think ranks are noted in the RC. If someone asks just say Army vehicle.

From personal experience - a close cropped haircut and a very trim physique and your cousin's regimental emblem stuck to the windshield & tailgate, along with the mandatory "army" on number plates and windshield will prevent you from being stopped by cops and/or RTO inspectors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 1941023)
No need for RTI, its there on the RTO website

Couldnt find it anywhere - please help

Check out the FAQ, re-registration.

2. What is the procedure for re-registration?

The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiloAlpha (Post 1941040)
From personal experience - a close cropped haircut and a very trim physique and your cousin's regimental emblem stuck to the windshield & tailgate, along with the mandatory "army" on number plates and windshield will prevent you from being stopped by cops and/or RTO inspectors.

Don't worry, Army haircut or trim physique are not mandatory. I have seen many chubby uncles in the Army in Bangalore. :uncontrol

An ARMY sticker should be sufficient. Bangalore traffic police will never bother vehicles with ARMY sticker, unless you do something reeeaaalllllly bad. :D

Rohan

Guys I have concern, if I am driving a TN reg car in bangalore, and I have toll tax receipt of NHs, are they valid for 6 months or whatever period to drive in KA?

Last February, I wanted to pay tax for my non-KA vehicle and went to the RTA office to understand the formalities. After assessment of the tax which amounted to ~1.92 lacs, I was sent to a senior official to explain the formalities.

What happened next took me by surprise!!! This well spoken senior officer mentioned that the rules has been changed and there is no need to pay KA road tax if you are in Karnataka for less than 1 year. For stay periods more than 1 year, I will have to change the registration itself to KA number. I just wanted to pay tax and run with my original number since I didn't want to lose my original VIP number. He then hinted that nobody is going to flag you down, and just in case it happens, keep an out of KA pollution certificate handy after 1 year...lol

Problem solved and I saved my 1.92 lacs!!! After being in Bangalore for close to an year now, I'd have really felt sorry to waste my hard earned money as road tax for the kinda non-existent road infrastructure here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Vampire (Post 1942308)
Last February, I wanted to pay tax for my non-KA vehicle and went to the RTA office to understand the formalities. After assessment of the tax which amounted to ~1.92 lacs, I was sent to a senior official to explain the formalities.

What happened next took me by surprise!!! This well spoken senior officer mentioned that the rules has been changed and there is no need to pay KA road tax if you are in Karnataka for less than 1 year. For stay periods more than 1 year, I will have to change the registration itself to KA number. I just wanted to pay tax and run with my original number since I didn't want to lose my original VIP number. He then hinted that nobody is going to flag you down, and just in case it happens, keep an out of KA pollution certificate handy after 1 year...lol

Problem solved and I saved my 1.92 lacs!!! After being in Bangalore for close to an year now, I'd have really felt sorry to waste my hard earned money as road tax for the kinda non-existent road infrastructure here.

What vehicle are we talking about ? What is the current value of the vehicle ?

I am not here to judge you, but the correct thing would be to pay the Karnataka State Road Tax. You can still retain your VIP number.

Vehicles with out of state registration are soft targets for Bangalore Traffic Police. It is better to pay the tax and have peace of mind, rather than having to hide from the cops (who are already hiding and waiting for you at strategic locations across the city). :uncontrol

OT - If you have some VIP contacts to match your VIP number, you can get away with almost anything in Bangalore. :D

Rohan

I find the Karnataka RTO Tax paying system ridiculous. I don't see any reason why one should pay this even if the infrastructure is in place. Its one country and there should be no need to pay it all over again just because you have come from another state. Besides; they make enough money with new vehicle registrations. Why can't they just let Private Out of State vehicles run without any trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 1942687)
I find the Karnataka RTO Tax paying system ridiculous. I don't see any reason why one should pay this even if the infrastructure is in place. Its one country and there should be no need to pay it all over again just because you have come from another state. Besides; they make enough money with new vehicle registrations. Why can't they just let Private Out of State vehicles run without any trouble.

If you are transferring your vehicle from one state to another, you can apply for a tax refund from the previous state. I know it is a tedious process, but there is a provision for tax refund.

When the vehicle is brought to another state, you need to pay the road tax for that state. This is true for any state in India, not just Karnataka.

I know that these rules sound stupid. But as of now, these are the rules we need to follow.

It is your wish, whether you choose to pay the tax which may or may not be used for improving the infrastructure in the city or you can choose to bribe the traffic cops, in which case the money definitely goes to their pocket.

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 1942750)
It is your wish, whether you choose to pay the tax which may or may not be used for improving the infrastructure in the "city" or you can choose to bribe the traffic cops, in which case the money definitely goes to their pocket.

City?? This is state tax. Not Bangalore Tax. Have you been to rest of Karanataka by road?

And no Road Tax paid does not go only to lay roads, it goes into a pool. There is a different budget for infrastructure.

If the amount of road tax collected went into making roads in Karnataka, it wouldnt be sufficient to build one from Kempe Gowda Bus Station to Neelmangala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1942767)
City?? This is state tax. Not Bangalore Tax. Have you been to rest of Karanataka by road?

And no Road Tax paid does not go only to lay roads, it goes into a pool. There is a different budget for infrastructure.

If the amount of road tax collected went into making roads in Karnataka, it wouldnt be sufficient to build one from Kempe Gowda Bus Station to Neelmangala.

Sorry, typo there. I meant state, not city. :)

But the fact remains that most of us are staying in Bangalore city, which being the capital of the state, gets the best share of budget for infrastructure development.

Yes you are right that the road tax is not directly used for making roads. All taxes collected by the government are pooled and then this fund is used for areas that need attention, including roads.

The point I was trying to make is that it is better to pay the tax to the government rather than paying bribe to the policeman. :thumbs up

Rohan