Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached-27.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1787157)
Why would that be an issue?

How do they prove the car is in the state for more then 1 year? Like we have seen in the judgement earlier.

I might be drving down and back every hour for all the police/RTO care.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1787148)
^^ You can do that, but you will be had if you are caught by the same official twice. :)

What if that you need to travel to Bangalore often? Say like you are in real estate field with a known developer, and your company has office/operations in Kerala? All your documents including PUC are from Kerala and you also carry a mobile phone with a 'Kerala' SIM? You may be here for some months, then go back and again come, it is possible right?

i have faith in the current administration in the center.
I feel before their term is over they will take the step of nationalizing road tax.
The problem is the States. No body will want to let go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs (Post 1835048)
What if that you need to travel to Bangalore often? Say like you are in real estate field with a known developer, and your company has office/operations in Kerala? All your documents including PUC are from Kerala and you also carry a mobile phone with a 'Kerala' SIM? You may be here for some months, then go back and again come, it is possible right?

Sudheesh,

Yes, you can do that. I had mentioned this in an earlier post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1786721)
...One more "proof" a friend employs, is to show his business card, which has an out of state address.

So, if you have any documents that prove that you are actually an out-of-state candidate (!) presently here for short-term business, then tax will not be an issue; but, keep that insurance and (for 1+years vehicle) that emission certificate. Worth 60Rs in a emission center, but for police / RTO, it is Rs.500 (actual fine with receipt).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1835147)
i have faith in the current administration in the center.
I feel before their term is over they will take the step of nationalizing road tax.
The problem is the States. No body will want to let go.

Being a state subject, the center can only play an advisory role. It is for the state governments to implement the advice.

Most states in the north are standardizing on 6%. Let us hope it becomes nationwide.

The NDA govt was moving towards automatic credit of the tax paid in the old state if you moved states. Nothing happened there either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1835372)
Sudheesh,

Yes, you can do that. I had mentioned this in an earlier post:

So, if you have any documents that prove that you are actually an out-of-state candidate (!) presently here for short-term business, then tax will not be an issue; but, keep that insurance and (for 1+years vehicle) that emission certificate. Worth 60Rs in a emission center, but for police / RTO, it is Rs.500 (actual fine with receipt).

Thanks Happywheels.

One doubt, say I am having all the papers of car, business card, mobile connection etc from Kerala, but my PUC just expired while I am here. It would not be possible always to take a new one that time itself, will have to wait till the next time you are in Kerala. So what will happen if RTO checks during that time? Is it enough that the gap is well within six months time?

It happened to me some time back with Police, but the check was a routine one and not for outstation number plate.I was stopped by the Hebbal flyover when I was going to Nandi Hills.The constable came near to my window and checked the documents. When he saw that my PUC had expired previous month, he asked for fine of Rs.500. (I had not taken a PUC from Bangalore, eventhough I was aware that it had expired) I think I gave him Rs.200 and pushed off.

I also do travel on leisure to Andhra Pradesh, TN (Not Hosur) or to Wayanad side in Kerala. Do PUCs from those places be ok?

Friends,

I'll be moving to Bangalore sometime in June-July for good.

The thing is that both my cars(Swift and Corolla) are TN registered. I dont intend to change their number plates and go through the hassle.

How safe is it from the cops standpoint to drive non KA plates in Bangalore?
I dont have daily office communting but I'll sure be roaming around the area that I live. What do you think are the risks?

p.s. I'll be making trips to TN and back atleast once in 2 months.

IMHO, get the cars changed or apply for reregistration, if you're moving for good. Driving TN registered vehicle around Bangalore is little risky unless you have single digit or 9 series on the number plate.

if its once in two months there should not any problems(legal of course) Cops will try to stop you once in a while but keep the petrol receipts or any other receipts which prove your car was not in KA for more than 11 months.
They will try to take advantage of you not being a local also sometimes but i think its pretty manageable.
every day i can see 'n' number of out state vehicles TN,KL,AP,MH,DL and even ML reg vehicles run in Bangalore.
Paying your taxes here will turn out to be a very costly affair plus the RTO's here are corrupt to the Core so don't expect any refunds from any old taxes paid.

IMHO, if you have frequent trips to TN, then no need of changing the registration right now. Keep the toll booth reciepts / petrol bills for records if required. Also, understand and avoid the soft points where the RTO officials generally stops non-KA vehicles. Cops generally will not stop non-KA vehicles at Bangalore.

Thanks
Rajesh

A cheap but not legal way is to write your out of state number in Kannada. At a glance, the cops will wave it through unless it actually registers that it is an outof state car

^^ w/o offence, to know that the language is Kannada, one will read atleast the first 2 letters and come to know that is AP/MH/TN in Kannada.

EDIT: My colleague from Trichy has a very small number plate in front which reads TN XX XXXX. Is that legal or there are size and proportion constraints on plates by law ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 1838894)
Also, understand and avoid the soft points where the RTO officials generally stops non-KA vehicles. Cops generally will not stop non-KA vehicles at Bangalore.

Hi Rajesh, if you know/aware some of those soft points where RTO stops it will be helpful.

I have seen once the RTO Jeep on the KR Puram Flyover, with Trailer vehicles stopped on the side

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs (Post 1837145)
...One doubt, say I am having all the papers of car, business card, mobile connection etc from Kerala, but my PUC just expired while I am here. It would not be possible always to take a new one that time itself, will have to wait till the next time you are in Kerala. So what will happen if RTO checks during that time? Is it enough that the gap is well within six months time?...

Sudheesh,

You will need a valid PUC, at any point of time. The place where you got it will not be an issue. You can always tell them the truth, that you had to take the PUC at KA since it expired when you were within the state. Hopefully you do not forget to carry the most recent fuel receipt from KL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twiny (Post 1839157)
Hi Rajesh, if you know/aware some of those soft points where RTO stops it will be helpful.

I have seen once the RTO Jeep on the KR Puram Flyover, with Trailer vehicles stopped on the side

Those points I know are

1. Near to BTM Watertank
2. The turn towards Shopper's Stop from Jayadeva at Bannerghatta Road

Mean while one of my friend has filed an RTI petition to understand how long a non-KA vehicle can run in KA without paying tax. Will post the update once he get the reply.

Thanks
Rajesh