Team-BHP - Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/50465-karnataka-road-tax-crack-down-announced-edit-high-court-judgement-pg-36-attached-22.html)

I have transferred by car from original state to K. R. Puram, Bangalore RTO. I have paid hefty 21,600/- Tax + Rs. 861/- Fine for not paying tax within 1 month from the date of NOC issued. Car is 6 years old Maruti 800 AC.

First, I paid the tax and then sent back NOC to home state for some correction in name, as RTO was not accepting that NOC. When NOC came back I went again RTO and submitted the "Change of Address" form along with Form 23 "Registration of Vehicle". Now everything is transferred but RTO informed that, I will not get KA Registration number now. I have to wait for another 11 Months for Karnataka Registration Number. They said they will again send my submitted NOC information to my home state RTO for confirmation and after that they will give me new Registration Number. Is this is the rule?

With all sort of headache, I managed to do this myself in K. R. Puram, RTO by just paying Rs. 120 fees for Address Change. Agents were asking 1300 - 1500 for this task. But be ready with all documents and harassment. I paid tax also myself. The last procedure of "Change of Address" is vehicle inspection by Inspector. While inspecting he asked me to open bonnet. There was little dirt in engine compartment as I generally do not wash engine compartment, since there are many electrical components present. Outer body washed and cleaned almost everyday.

He said, how dirty engine you keep, How can I inspect? It was not that dirty. Then again he asked me take pencil imprint of chasis number on paper. I had it ready, When I shown it to him, he said some digit "4" is not readable (Even guy with Shortsightedness problem can read that easily), take imprint again. I was like @#!!@$. After that he was vanished. I do not know where. At last, I pasted same imprint on form and approached another inspector after 2 hours, as there were no inspectors present. He asked, Anybody inspected already? I told him, Mr. XYZ inspected after that he went away. Another inspector looks like little courteous, and gave the form to Clerk for stamping.

But final twist was remaining. Clerk said after stamping, that first inspector has to sign, second one could not. He gave form to first inspector (By the time he again appeared, do not know from where after 2 and half hours) who inspected vehicle first. He came again to me where is your new pencil imprint, I said I pasted there. He was like, I told you to paste here but you pasted somewhere else, I said vertically you pasted horizontally, blah blah. Then he said did you use old one. I said, yes. He said, see number "7" is not visible. . Earlier he told, Number "4" was not visible". Now number "7". I do not know what happened to him after 10 minutes, he signed the document then I submitted to superintendent. Even, if you are ready with all sorts of document, be ready for harassment and time pass. It took whole day of mine. 9:30 AM I started from home and came back at 4:30 PM. This happened to me as I did not go through Agent.

I completed my job in 120 Rupees for which Agents were demanding 1800 Rupees. What a relief but still not full relief (Need to get Registration number)

Superintendent of K. R. Puram, RTO, is courteous guy if you approach him softly. Otherwise he is as rude as anyone.

Moral of the story: Do not loose your cool, keep smiling, always call them "Sir". Be ready for some "Merry go around" for some xyz papers and xerox, and keep loads of your time at hand. With this you can do you work in any government office without "Bribe". Always fill section in form which in not not applicable in your case as -NA-, even for this you will loose your queue and have to start again.

Has any one successfully got the money while he transferred his tax to another state? Tried looking into this thread, but could not wade through the ocean of material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 1762414)
Moral of the story: Do not loose your cool, keep smiling, always call them "Sir". Be ready for some "Merry go around" for some xyz papers and xerox, and keep loads of your time at hand. With this you can do you work in any government office without "Bribe". Always fill section in form which in not not applicable in your case as -NA-, even for this you will loose your queue and have to start again.

It is they who should be calling us Sir Sir whilst serving us.
These babus are hand in glove with the agents and do receive part
of the loot from them.
I had a friend and she received her 2 wheeler permanent license for her 18th B'day w/o even going to the RTO. I'm not sure about a learner's license. So long as such parents exist, these agents are going to have a field day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1762458)
It is they who should be calling us Sir Sir whilst serving us.
These babus are hand in glove with the agents and do receive part
of the loot from them.
I had a friend and she received her 2 wheeler permanent license for her 18th B'day w/o even going to the RTO. I'm not sure about a learner's license. So long as such parents exist, these agents are going to have a field day.

+1 .

It's the common people who is responsible for the organic growth of all these agents. We are also part of it and promotes this badly.

OT:
(For example , if you lost your mobile , you have to file a FIR. With that if you approach the mobile companies you can get the same number again. In this process of getting the FIR copy we pay some amount just to save few hours. Forget about agents , it's the cops asking money for treat ! )

I still don't see the point of collecting such a huge amount as road tax. Even the metros are having quite less than this amount :Shockked:

Why ? just because of the perception that in IT industry people are earning more ?

What's the use of this amount ? Every day you leave your home , you are uncertain about the road ahead ! You don't know from where you will be forced to take a new route to reach your office. In every road you can find that something is under construction with a board claiming that it will be finished within 8 months and even after 3 years you see the same construction going on :deadhorse

Quote:

RTO informed that, I will not get KA Registration number now. I have to wait for another 11 Months for Karnataka Registration Number. They said they will again send my submitted NOC information to my home state RTO for confirmation and after that they will give me new Registration Number. Is this is the rule?

If you got the address changed in the RC book, then the waiting period is 90 days for getting KA number.
11 months period is for applying for address change once you pay the road tax amount.
Recently I did the same process for my santro from KA51 RTO. After paying the tax, I applied for change of address only in the 11th month and got the address changed in the old RC book. Exactly after 90 days of getting the address change, I applied for KA number and got it within a week.
All you have to do is to give a written application mentioning all the details to the RTO along with original RC book, insurance copy and emission certificate and get an acknowledgement.
The verification with previous RTO will be done by them over phone itself. Collect the contact phone nos of your old RTO and give to them for avoiding any delay in the process. Once the telephonic confirmation is done, you will be getting the new number within a day or two.

I bought my RS from Mumbai early Dec 07
The NoC was issued Dec 26' 07
Papers were submitted via AA on Dec 31st
The process of LTT took time - they demanded a higher LTT than my calculations - finally it came to a more reasonable amount. Then inspection. Went there and the inspector has gone to court. Went another time and he was busy but it got done. Using an agent might have been quicker.
Received documents on Jan 26th
applied for rereg in April and got the new numer about 45 days later

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1763831)
The process of LTT took time - they demanded a higher LTT than my calculations - finally it came to a more reasonable amount. Then inspection. Went there and the inspector has gone to court. Went another time and he was busy but it got done. Using an agent might have been quicker.

This is means it is again a Long Term affair, for you it tool almost 6 month for getting registration number. For me 1 month passed, now have to spend another 5 more months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1763831)

Ajmat, Can you explain us how did you manage to bring down the LTT amount?

Did you get the refund for LTT you paid from MH RTO?

Do all states in India behave in the same way as KA RTO? I mean are all states paranoid about having out station vehicles plying on their roads or is just here?

Quote:

Very true RTO work is not that difficult as it is projected. Only thing you need to have lot of patience and time at hand, you can get your work without going to the RTO brokers,

KA budget proposed 13% tax for car above 5L.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by arin_12 (Post 1766612)
KA budget proposed 13% tax for car above 5L.:Frustrati

You mean they are not aware it is the current tax rate we pay? That rate is in effect since August 2008.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/980974-post38.html

After reading so many not so called pleasant (or sometimes worst) experiences from the fellow Bhpians, I thought it would be best to put down my share of experience too about the Bangalore RTO.

I got my 97 model Maruti Zen to Bangalore along with NOC too. Had it transferred to my name from my uncle and the LTT paid was just 8000 Rs in Andhra. Then I had to fly abroad on an onsite assignment immediately and returned only after 6 months. I couldnt pay the tax even then as I got really busy with my marriage arrangements. I was always careful not to let off my car getting into the hands of any traffic cop or RTO. One fine day while I was on my way to office in Ecity, I was stopped by an RTO near HP. I told him that I got the car to Blore with the good intention of changing the regn too, but couldnt do it as I was out of country for a long time. I even showed my passport as a proof (yeah I had it with me then - forex settlement). All well said, the RTO took away my original RC book along with the NOC and a case was registered. I would need to pay the tax, etc at Koramangala RTO office inorder to get the papers back.

My encounters with the ever efficient RTO office guys started then. I went there all myself to check about it and they calculated some tax (I dont have a invoice with me as it a old car) as 25k odd. I was like what!!!3 times more than what I paid in Andhra. Later I went and met the ARTO with a recommendation from Transport Secretary of Karnataka (yeah - too high for a recommendation, thanks to my colleague who had contacts in the Karnataka Govt). ARTO was kind enough to let me know about the details, needless to say the reason behind the kind treatment. Since the case is booked, I dont have any option other than paying the tax. I wanted to pay it off as I dont have enough time to go around the RTO office many times. Let me say this, if you are going to any govt office, be prepared to spend endless hours as AnujMishra told in the previous post. I finally paid the tax Rs 25674 to be exact, after considering the depreciation value for a 12 yr old car - but even that was not smooth enough. It was already more than a month that the case has been booked and so I had to pay extra penalty and thanks to my NOC date another 4k as penalty.

I was finally relieved that I got rid of all that and now I can peacefully go around in Bangalore and I always had the last laugh whenever any RTO guy stopped me expecting to be a catch for the day.

Thats not the end of the story. Thanks to the excellent condition of Bangalore roads and the very few humps on the Haralur/Jail road I take every day, my old Zen couldnt keep up with the rigourous suspension activity. I decided to sell it off here, since I cannot get the refund from Karnataka RTO even if I take it back to Andhra, as there is a case booked against it. Another agony started for me then - Changing the registration number. My address comes under RTO-Ecity office and this time I went through an agent, not wanting to waste my time. How wrong I was!! I paid around 6k to the agent for the entire process which includes address change, getting a certificate from Police station that there is no case on the car, filing the re-number application etc. Vehicle Inspection was never carried out even after waiting for 4 hrs, thanks to the Vehicle Inspector who was busy chatting with the special friends for that day. I had to wait for 90 days - during which the Karnataka RTO will send a letter to Andhra RTO and will get a No Objection letter for changing the registration number. That never happened and not sure of who is at fault, I approached the agent again to check the matter and the ECity RTO office guys told that they never got any reply from Andhra RTO.

The agent whom I knew was from Koramangala RTO office and he assigned the job to another agent in Ecity RTO office. Now this guy is a complete moron and he never shows up at time and always gives lame excuses. Fed up with all that I decided to try my luck on my own, now that I visited Ecity RTO office umpteen times I know the guys inside by their names. Thanks to some kind women officers. I submitted my Andhra RC book original and finally got an acknowledgement from them and was told that a KA number with a new RC book will be given to me in another 15 days. That never happened when I met them again after 15 days, as the Ecity RTO office told me that they should get a NOC from Andhra RTO office at any cost. Handled couple of guys at both the RTO offices in two different states (obviously had to lighten my wallet - though not a hefty sum) and got the NOC signed, quality check report, etc and finally, yeah exactly after 6 months got a Karnataka registration number. Phewww..

I have spent almost 32k for the entire process and thanks to the RTO guys, you will never get to do things on your own. Even if you are ready to face it whatever it is, after waiting for countless hours and going around so many times, you will completely get moved over and will just want to put an end to all that whatever it is. My sincere suggestion would be for anyone who want to deal with any RTO office :

1) Know some good agent with a direct contact, if you want to save time.
2) Go with a friend who knows the local language, if you are not local. That holds good even when you are dealing with an agent as well.
3) Analyse the kind of job. For smaller ones like paying Road tax is much simpler and you can do it yourself. But if the job needs some documentation and a lengthy process, better go with an agent. Even the RTO guys wont take money directly from us,they will only accept from known contacts. Thanks to the Anti-Corruption Units, they atleast got succeeded in making this Non-Transparent.

Finally, avoid getting into any kind of job that will need you to go to RTO office. God Bless the Govt officials. :Frustrati

So if a TN registered Car is on vacation / business purpose in bangalore, how and in what ways karantaka road tax can be avoided ??

What to tell the cops ??

I am planning a drive to B'lore during April / June. Will there be any difficulties for me? Will the toll receipts be proof enough?