Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 12:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

I had to go through a similar ordeal with my AP registered bike in KA. Paid the road tax, but am still retaning the AP registration. Once you show them the receipt for road tax paid, they dont bother you any further.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:04   #17
BHPian

I am sure I will draw flak for mentioning it on this thread, but in Meghalaya, for private vehicles, a lifetime road tax (10 years) is Rs. 8000/-, irrespective of the cost of the vehicle. For 2 wheelers, it is 1750/-. An additional fee of Rs. 2000/- (4 wheelers) or 800/- (2 wheelers) is charged for the provision of High Security Number Plates, which is mandatory.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
yes. It just needs a challan saying you are booked for driving other state vehicle in KA without tax

For my 2 wheeler I just did this...

I went to Indira Nagar RTO, met the inspector there and told him I want to pay tax. He gave me the challan, I show this and paid the amout in the counter over there. Its done.

When I approached the same counter for paying tax, he just said he cannot accept any tax without NOC. So, the same guy after seeing this challan gave a smile and that one smile made me understand that this is normal procedure.
few things to note:

When you are challaned, you have to pay road tax with penalty.

Voluntary payment of tax should not entail penalty.

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I have had two experiences in this regard. My M800 10 years back with AP registration was caught and I ended paying around Rs11000 as KA road tax. Then my KA registered Ikon was caught in AP, I paid Rs45000 as life time road tax. So net, I have lost Rs.55000 of my tax paid money to stupid KA & AP governments!! These monies to reclaim would take another ordeal.
Now I drive AP registered Scorpios in KA and once out of atleast 10 visits to BLR I was caught. I just rolled down my window and asked him what happened? The RTO officer said AP registered Car, pay KA tax. I told him I have paid for two cars already and asked him to fine me for not paying for this one. I also prodded him that my lawyer would meet the RTO to pay the fines!! He then said ok.ok. and left me!!

In earlier cases I was trying to abide the law which I realised later that does not help!

I am not saying that this is the right approach, however I feel RTA uses this to make monies in a big way. I can understand the case for commercial vehicles, but not for private used ones.

Last edited by getsurya : 11th December 2008 at 12:17.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 12:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
few things to note:

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
Ideally yes. But that did not work in my case. Since it was other state reg. vehicle 2 RTO offices denied to collect taxes.

Anyway, I never tried in BangaloreOne offices. Maybe Hrag may update us.

Quote:
In earlier cases I was trying to abide the law which I realised later that does not help!
Agreed. Sometimes its forced on us to follow :(

Last edited by mjothi : 11th December 2008 at 12:18.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
few things to note:

Hi Dadu, whats this Bangalore One ?
Mjothi: Where exactly did u go in INdiranagar? I have been going around in circles for this for over 2 years . Now that the car is 3.5 yrs old, I guess paying the tax wont be such a bad idea. I am sure there will be some depriciation. Can any one enlighten on this?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It depends on the guy who catch you
You should always have proof if you say you came in few days back. Usually petrol bills from the origin state is accepted.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

Samarth, there is a BangaloreOne on the old Airport road.
If you are looking for the indranagar RTO, its parallel to CMH road.

Note : When you reach the Indranagar RTO, DO NOT fall for the touts who will literally swarm upon you. I lost quite some money in this trap, and had to literally get a friend to threaten the big guy there into either getting my work done, else return my money. I think Riju (rjstyles) has a friend in Philip Driving school located in the same complex, who could help out. Unfortunately, i got to know about this, as well as BangaloreOne rather late.

EDIT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
You should always have proof if you say you came in few days back. Usually petrol bills from the origin state is accepted.
Origin state is not necessary. You could show the bill from another state too. My relative with an AP registered Alto showed a bill from Kerala while he was stopped. Said he was only passing through.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th December 2008 at 12:26.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
Dear All TEAM-BHPns

By chance if you are caught tell them u came here few days back and you will be going back very soon.

Regards
Binoy
Hi,

They will not accept this cock & bull stories, once you stopped by the RTO/Traffic police they will note down the registration no. Karantaka RTO & Bangalore city traffic are making data base on vehicle no's of other states, within few months they will have online facility to check the date on which your vehicle no. entered on database accordingly they will fine on the spot or vehicle may seized.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Origin state is not necessary. You could show the bill from another state too. My relative with an AP registered Alto showed a bill from Kerala while he was stopped. Said he was only passing through.
Thats right. As long as it is logical , they would agree.
I know some of the Kerala registration people here arrange the Kerala petrol bill through someone traveling and keep it ready with them.

Just make sure the bills you collect this way has a blank place to write your car's reg NO.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:38   #26
BANNED

Why can't the respective state governments get the money from each other? I will gladly volunteer information on the dates I was present in different states. The RTOs can then fight it out.

I always have toll plaza receipts (genuine) to prove I entered KA only recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

They will not accept this cock & bull stories, once you stopped by the RTO/Traffic police they will note down the registration no. Karantaka RTO & Bangalore city traffic are making data base on vehicle no's of other states, within few months they will have online facility to check the date on which your vehicle no. entered on database accordingly they will fine on the spot or vehicle may seized.
Didn't quite get this. Let's say I was stopped this morning and my number was entered. Over the weekend, if I make a trip to Tamilnadu, I have a fresh date of entry - who records this and where?

Last edited by hrag : 11th December 2008 at 12:42.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Why can't the respective state governments get the money from each other?
To put it in a different way, "Why cant we be just one country, instead of multiple states, each trying to put down the other, and also make more money in the process?".

Just a small example from another country where i have lived, which is the UAE. A Dubai registered owner doesnt face fines for running his vehicle in another emirate, example Sharjah. Why not the same principle here? Why not have a unified road road tax structure across the country?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:47   #28
BHPian

We are paying road tax in a state for 10/15/20 years , and we end up paying tax in another state for the same vehicle . We have to approach courts in this nation to finish this menace once and for all . As a forum of vehicle owners and enthusiasts we have the right and resources to do so . Nothing is being done by bodies like AAI .

But in kerala i havent heard such a thing happening even after pondi regd vehicle running for 5-7 years. Only problem you could face is that you wont be allowed to take a driving test using it.

Last edited by swathyd : 11th December 2008 at 12:51.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Dadu, whats this Bangalore One ?
Mjothi: Where exactly did u go in INdiranagar? I have been going around in circles for this for over 2 years . Now that the car is 3.5 yrs old, I guess paying the tax wont be such a bad idea. I am sure there will be some depriciation. Can any one enlighten on this?
Its an integrated payment collection/ services kiosk for many services

Bangalore One RTO services

Bangalore One centres
Old 11th December 2008, 13:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
To put it in a different way, "Why cant we be just one country, instead of multiple states, each trying to put down the other, and also make more money in the process?".

Just a small example from another country where i have lived, which is the UAE. A Dubai registered owner doesnt face fines for running his vehicle in another emirate, example Sharjah. Why not the same principle here? Why not have a unified road road tax structure across the country?
I share the same thoughts as benbsb29, why should we be made to pay tax for different states, this would make inter state travel a nightmare, the government should treat cars registered in any state as registered in the country and if the papers are fine why bother people and make them pay tax again, I think we should have a all India tax and not state specific tax.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks