Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 11:40   #706
BHPian

I20 Diesel coming in 2009!!!
Source : Hyundai confirms launch of i20 diesel in 2009 | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog

MODS: you might want to update the Title of the thread.

Avenger
Old 18th February 2009, 17:39   #707
Senior - BHPian

Some more news about the I20 diesel coming by the end of the year.

Source :
Hyundai to launch i20 diesel variant this year

Article :
Quote:
New Delhi, Hyundai Motor
India has firmed up its plan to introduce a diesel variant of its premium compact car, the i-20, by the end of the year.

The company that already sells the diesel variant of the model for the European market is now considering offering a similar option to its domestic customers.

In the end of December when the company launched the model, it had said that it would consider the option based on market demand.

�We will launch the i-20 diesel for the domestic market this year. But we are yet to finalise the engine size,� said Mr Arvind Saxena, Senior Vice-President, Sales and Marketing, Hyundai Motor India Ltd, at the sidelines of a media interaction on the company partnering with Punjab National Bank for disbursing auto loans.

Duty benefit

The company sells the car equipped with a 1.2-litre petrol engine for the domestic market to avail itself of the excise duty benefit on compact cars.

It also sells the diesel variant for the European market with an engine size of 1.6 litres.

However, to gain from the lower excise duty on compact cars, it is likely to bring the car either in a 1.4-litre engine or in a 1.5-litre engine.

The company is already selling a higher number of units than expected.

Hyundai, which had aimed to sell 2,000 units of its i20 on an average on a monthly basis, received an order of 2,500 units last month. Of this, the company delivered 1,700 and the remaining will be sold in the current month.

Deals with banks

Commenting on the outlook for the industry, Mr Saxena said the market was expected to remain flat in the quarter.

However, to respond to the current scenario of reduced financing, it was tying up with more public sector banks.

Punjab National Bank will offer Hyundai customers an interest rate of 11 and 11.50 per cent depending on the credit worthiness of its borrowers.

Early this month, the company also tied up with Syndicate Bank for a similar project.
Does this mean that the current Verna diesel motor will be also available under the hood of I20 ?
Mostly Yes IMO. They will save on costs for sure if this is done.

EDIT : I wonder what will be the cost of the car. Considering the petrol version pricing, this will now hit the Fabia level of pricing.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 18th February 2009 at 17:40.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:48   #708
BHPian

Nope. I don't think the 1.5L CRDi from the Getz/Verna will find its way into the i20. Though it would be great if it did. 110 bhp of raw power. I feel it would mostly be the 1.4L CRDi that they sell elsewhere in the world. The 1.4L is available in 2 versions, 75 bhp and 90 bhp. There is also a 1.6L CRDi which obviously would not be introduced here for pricing reasons.

I hope they also bring in the 1.4L petrol engine with all the missing features in the car. This would make the i20 complete.

The following features are missing in the Indian i20:

* ESP
* Head restraint for the rear middle passenger
* Front height adjustable seat belts
* Graphic door open symbol in the centre of the instrument panel (just below the fuel/temperature gauges) - this is there in the Italian i20, showing exactly which door is open/not closed properly, as against the generic door open symbol on most cars
* Driver's seat armrest (like in the Getz 1.3 GLX)
* Fabric inserts in the doors (European versions have it, while it's just doorpads in the Indian i20) - even the Getz 1.3 has fabric inserts

(Check out the earlier Italian market i20 snaps attached by me a few pages back in this thread)

And I also hope they don't introduce a stripped down version of the i20 diesel like the Getz CRDi. i20 1.4L CRDi Asta would be good.

Let us hope for the best as always !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 20th February 2009, 12:48   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Excise duty on small cars is 12% after the recent 4% deduction announced as part of the economic stimulus package. On bigger cars it is 20% now (earlier 24%).
Exice duty on small cars has been reduced to 8% after the 4% deduction announced in the Stimulus package
Old 20th February 2009, 15:12   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Exice duty on small cars has been reduced to 8% after the 4% deduction announced in the Stimulus package
Nikhil, Thanks for the info.

So, the price of Getz 1.1 GVS is Rs 410286 [with 8% Excise duty]
and the price of Getz 1.3 GVS is Rs 429767 [with 20% Excise duty]

So, the difference is only Rs 19481. So, IMO if Hyundai launches i20 Magna 1.4 @ Rs 4.99L, [with optional ABS] that would be a good option.
Old 20th February 2009, 16:24   #711
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
So, the price of Getz 1.1 GVS is Rs 410286 [with 8% Excise duty]
and the price of Getz 1.3 GVS is Rs 429767 [with 20% Excise duty]

So, the difference is only Rs 19481. So, IMO if Hyundai launches i20 Magna 1.4 @ Rs 4.99L, [with optional ABS] that would be a good option.
There you are! The greedy Hyundai is not passing the excise benefits of Getz 1.1 to the customer. (Same is the case for i20 also.) That difference of 19481 should include the extra cost for a 1.3 L engine (compared to 1.1L engine) also, in addition to the excise benefit. Then, where is the excise duty cut benefit? Is it a mere 10K for a 4 lakh car?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 20th February 2009 at 16:37.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:11   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
There you are! The greedy Hyundai is not passing the excise benefits of Getz 1.1 to the customer. (Same is the case for i20 also.) That difference of 19481 should include the extra cost for a 1.3 L engine (compared to 1.1L engine) also, in addition to the excise benefit. Then, where is the excise duty cut benefit? Is it a mere 10K for a 4 lakh car?
Its not a simple unitary method calculation.
Excise duty is applicable on the basic price of the car and then all the levies / taxes VAt etc are applicable henceforth... that is why the calculations are a lil bit complex..

It can also be that they have reduced the price of the 1.3 version (after including a payout of the excise duty from their side)... so lets not jump to conclusions...
Old 24th February 2009, 17:10   #713
Senior - BHPian

well hyundai india confirmed that after looking at the market response for i20 with this petrol engine they launched here, they would think for getting its diesel engine for this car, and not now, so that means that nothing to be expected from hyundai before end of this year or early of 2010 for its diesel engines.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:03   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
well hyundai india confirmed that after looking at the market response for i20 with this petrol engine they launched here, they would think for getting its diesel engine for this car, and not now, so that means that nothing to be expected from hyundai before end of this year or early of 2010 for its diesel engines.
I have read somewhere its gonna be here in next 3-4 months...
Old 24th February 2009, 21:32   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Nope. I don't think the 1.5L CRDi from the Getz/Verna will find its way into the i20. Though it would be great if it did. 110 bhp of raw power. I feel it would mostly be the 1.4L CRDi that they sell elsewhere in the world.
I wonder if it doesnt make more sense for them to use an engine that is already manufactured in India and is used on other cars sold here than to introduce a new engine specifically for one model.

Common sense says that the 1.5 from the Verna/Getz should make its way into the i20 too.

But common sense would have also told them to price the Getz CRDi more sensibly, so I'm not betting on it.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:13   #716
BHPian

i can just imagine the 1.6 Petrol from the Verna put into the i20.
Now that would make it a REAL HOT hatch.

Not to mention, blow away everyones feeling of the engine being underpowered
Old 24th February 2009, 22:29   #717
Senior - BHPian

Getz CRDi is not selling is wide numbers. I see quiet a few i20's here. Plonk the 1.5 CRDi in i20 and sell. That way they can save money on new engine building process + people will have a choice of hot diesel hatch!
Old 25th February 2009, 00:39   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
None of the automakers are passing on the excise tax cut , apparently. I saw an item in the News about Maruti denying any price cut. All automakers in India are greedy, IMO. Why single out Skoda?.
Old 25th February 2009, 02:57   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I wonder if it doesnt make more sense for them to use an engine that is already manufactured in India and is used on other cars sold here than to introduce a new engine specifically for one model.

Common sense says that the 1.5 from the Verna/Getz should make its way into the i20 too..
Chennai is the global source for i-20s IIRC, which means the 1.4 is probably manufactured here. another reason could be emission and better NVH since its a newer engine.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:16   #720
Senior - BHPian

Still with a 1.4 Lt CRDI i20 will be indeed a hotch hatch to drive, though they should safety measure like ABA and Airbags which are missed to great extent in current Getz CRDI.

For me Speed without proper safety measures is dangerous.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks