Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:15   #646
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthor View Post
Hey Bro the reveiew which u have provided does not make any sense as the things which u have mentioned

Though the engine is not underpowered - The car can actually overtake other cars easily and overtaking some other car also requires your own skill of driving and its not 100 % dependeable on the Car Engine. So if u are not able to over take then may be u lack some driving skills

The 6 speaker setup is a big dissappointment - Have u heard the souns system i think buddy not the maximum volume for the system is 33 and the limit of 16 is more than sufficent for anybody to hear the songs in the car. Just listen it one more time

Dint find the quality up to the mark - How can you even compare it with stupid . Check the build quality with all the safety features invoved. The folder key is something what you get in skoda laura. Just check it once gain

The suspension - The suspension is pretty fine i have taken the TD of teh car for 20 kms on normal roads and bad roads so beleive me there is no problem.
Steering feel is almost non-existent - You seriously need to lean bro the steering is a power steering and its the smoothest i have ever seen. I have driven the car at the speed of 110 and it was perfectly fine and in my control.

Gearknob - The gearknob is low and perfect for a driver and the chrome finish looks good. I wonder what happend to your choice.

Brother i believe u have one more test drive of the car and then come and tell us rather then just providing illogical reasons. and stop comparing it with verna even its from the same company there styling is different . Hope u understand

So, your duty in the Hyundai showroom is over for today?

Old 2nd February 2009, 20:25   #647
BHPian

In most of the print-ads of the I20, including the one I have in front of me right now (Feb 8th Issue - Business Today), there's a mention of all the goodies - 'automatic temp control', '6 Speakers', 'Steering mounted audio', 'Electrically foldable/adjustable ORVM', 'Folding key with keyless entry', 'multi information display'....

Strangely though, not a SINGLE mention anywhere about the engine (except for 'Euro V Ready' and 'Dynamic Performance').

Smart. After howling from the rooftops on the 'power of a 100 horses' for the Verna, I think Hyundai knows its better to be absolutely silent this time around!
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:50   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, your duty in the Hyundai showroom is over for today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Its ok man. Learn to respect others views/opinions. Its not like what he is saying is the law! Its his opinion based on his own experience. Doesnt have to match yours or others.

People like/dislike cars not based on others opinions but based on their own perceptions/experiences.

As cars are available for test drive , IMHO it is better to first test drive and then commment. It will help potential buyers too.

Anyone know how many i20s hyundai sell during jan ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:08   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
In most of the print-ads of the I20, including the one I have in front of me right now (Feb 8th Issue - Business Today), there's a mention of all the goodies - 'automatic temp control', '6 Speakers', 'Steering mounted audio', 'Electrically foldable/adjustable ORVM', 'Folding key with keyless entry', 'multi information display'....

Strangely though, not a SINGLE mention anywhere about the engine (except for 'Euro V Ready' and 'Dynamic Performance').

Smart. After howling from the rooftops on the 'power of a 100 horses' for the Verna, I think Hyundai knows its better to be absolutely silent this time around!
Smart. Suave. Stylish .. Did they mention "powerful" anywhere ?

And Maxthor, you are right.. overtaking is all about skills and not 100% on the engine!! If the engine is not enough, you get down and push it forward!
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:12   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I think he talking of Electro-Hydraulic steering. I am not sure whether i20 has that. Fabia has such a setup though.
Yes, you are right. Electro-Hydraulic steering. It switches to Hydraulic after 80 kmph according to the salesman but i dint find any change over 80. The steering was still super light with no feedback.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:37   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Bro the reveiew which u have provided does not make any sense as the things which u have mentioned

Though the engine is not underpowered - The car can actually overtake other cars easily and overtaking some other car also requires your own skill of driving and its not 100 % dependeable on the Car Engine. So if u are not able to over take then may be u lack some driving skills

The 6 speaker setup is a big dissappointment - Have u heard the souns system i think buddy not the maximum volume for the system is 33 and the limit of 16 is more than sufficent for anybody to hear the songs in the car. Just listen it one more time

Dint find the quality up to the mark - How can you even compare it with stupid . Check the build quality with all the safety features invoved. The folder key is something what you get in skoda laura. Just check it once gain

The suspension - The suspension is pretty fine i have taken the TD of teh car for 20 kms on normal roads and bad roads so beleive me there is no problem.
Steering feel is almost non-existent - You seriously need to lean bro the steering is a power steering and its the smoothest i have ever seen. I have driven the car at the speed of 110 and it was perfectly fine and in my control.

Gearknob - The gearknob is low and perfect for a driver and the chrome finish looks good. I wonder what happend to your choice.

Brother i believe u have one more test drive of the car and then come and tell us rather then just providing illogical reasons. and stop comparing it with verna even its from the same company there styling is different . Hope u understand

Note from Mods : Please do not type in all bold text. You must take a look at this thread before continuing. Thanks.
The way you are talking about the car, it looks like you are from Hyundai itself. Why dont you post your TD report and lets see what this all perfect car has to offer?
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:39   #652
BHPian

Quote:

Dude, its not cool to come to a public forum like this and tell someone that his review does not make "sense". Everyone is entitled to his own opinion about a car. Hence it is called a "test" drive, and hence this is called a public forum. And also if I may make the point, people can only compare a car that they TD with another car that they own or have TDed before. So its natural to perform comparisons at some level.
@mods i think you should also post a thread that talks about how members should respect each others opinions. I have seen a few threads in the recent past that have people going on about trivial issues and making the thread an unhappy place to be.

Anyway, coming to the i20. I finally managed to TD it day before while waiting for my verna to have some work done on it at the showroom. For a start, I'm sorry to say this, and with no offence meant, it takes ageeees for the snail paced engine to come up to 80. I understand that after driving a diesel verna this car can never satisfy me, but even by normal terms I feel that the engine is lugging around a lot of weight. Its sad that hyundai thought that they can put the same engine that they had in the much lighter i10 into such a big hatchback and expect it to be just as peppy. I literally had the throttle floored and there was no response whatever from the engine. I also tried high rpm shifting and again no response what so ever from the engine. So from that perspective a definite dissappointment.
My salesperson did tell me, that the getz crdi has been stopped in other countries and the i20 crdi has replaced it there. But since the getz crdi continues here, the i20 crdi will not be coming to india. Not sure how true this story is. I havent been following this i20 vs getz war so cant comment.
Coming to the interiors. Not amazing, but definitely decent. The steering wheel is light, very very light. Way lighter then even the verna steering. Given that the car refused to go fast, I couldnt figure out how responsive it was at higher speeds. But it seemed ok at low speeds. The gearstick was dreamy and i thoroughly enjoyed shifting gears. I didnt bother trying out the music system, though the ac was satisfactory and the general look and feel of the interiors were decent. I did feel like the throttle was at a weird angle. It didnt feel comfortable to drive with and I was having a tough time balancing my clutch and throttle. Potential reason could be that because I get such quick response from the verna that here I was pushing it a lot more to try and get more speed.
The keyless remote system was a welcome addition and the look of the remote was wonderful. The top end comes with abs, but I didnt feel very reassured with the brakes for some reason. I made a couple of sudden stops in the traffic and I didnt feel like very comfortable braking in that car. The car seemed to take an extra second to stop, and when it did it really threw me forward. The seats are nice and comfy, and the rear seemed nice and spacious.
Overall, in terms of features a defnite thumbs up to hyundai for coming up with this "premium" hatchback if you will. But they seem to have ruined all the hard work by messing up with the engine. This car needs a better engine for guys who enjoy the acceleration. It would suit families that look for VFM, safety and comfort in the car and are not bothered about how fast the car goes. Until such time that hyundai upgrades this engine, I think most of the tbhp speed freaks would vouch for their getz/verna engines.

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 2nd February 2009 at 22:42.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:50   #653
BHPian

Of perception & understanding.

First things first, sorry for hijacking this thread everyone but i think i should clear this out before it goes overboard.
Hey Maxthor, no offence taken and also no offence meant due to my post below but i think you need to re-read my review friend. I think you have misunderstood most of what i have written in my review.

In any case, ill explain it in more detail below. Plus, please mention which car you already drive like pras.oct25 & i have as rightly mentioned by him, at some level or another, you tend to compare & hence other users can gauge your perception to an extent if it is mentioned.

My answers are in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthor

I stated "Overtaking requires an effort". That doesnt mean you cant overtake, it means overtaking requires some effort as you have to push the car harder to overtake (This could also be said as the in-gear acceleration is not that strong.)
For Example: The accent has a great engine & overtaking is a breeze as the engine pulls effortlessly as soon as you blip the throttle.
As for driving skills, i dont think overtaking is a skill hehe

I stated "Sound Quality" is dissappointing & not the "Volume".
Personally, im an audoiphile to an extent & once again individual perspective & taste comes into play here. Someone may like the sound quality and i may not.

Once again, i think your understanding of build quality is different from mine.
By build quality i refer to the solidity of the car. For example, Palios & Skodas are built like tanks wherein Maruti is as of now, not reached the same level as them.

As for the foldable key, yes its a great feature, but the quality isnt upto the mark is what i meant. Try holding this key & a foldable key from Skoda (or some other brand offering the same) together in both your hands, you will understand what i mean.The Hyundai key feels light, plasticky & tacky when compared.

Dint say there is snything wrong with it...I have mentioned that it absorbs the potholes fine & well, but it is bumpy & thrashy as it probably bottoms out. That is what i meant.

This one makes me smile. I know it is a power steering & also that it is smooth. Also, it was well within my control at all speeds
I have said that it offers no feedback and is way to light. Hence, the handling goes for a toss & cornering is not confidence inspiring.
To understand this, the Honda City (not the newly launched one) had a similar steering. It was great to park but was way to light & offered no feedback at all. Then try the Fiesta & you will know what a steering should give feedback like.

Once again, i did not say there is anything wrong with the positioning of the Gear Lever. I merely stated that personally, i didnt like the chrome finish the gear knob has been given in the top end version.
Here, i would say that it is personal taste. I may not like it & you may, no arguments here.

I wont be going for another test drive as im sure of what i have written & have made up my mind not to buy it.
Finally, as i have already stated in my review, i wasnt comparing it to the Verna, i was merely stating that some components could be shared to give better costs to Hyundai & better quality to customers.
Phew! That was more typing than the review i feel
In the end, my sentiments exactly as to what Joslicx has posted. It is my perception and views & not everybody has to agree with it. Someone may love the car & someone may not. It is alright, to each his own.
This reminds me of "One man's bread is another man's poison".

Last edited by Xehaust : 2nd February 2009 at 22:57.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:17   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Exactly! I spent some time going over every page of the 4 page ad 'Cool .. super cool and finally uber cool' (something like that) in Autocar.

It talked about safety, gadgets etc, but not a single mention about the engine. Not even the basic engine specs. I think Hyundai themselves are shying away from mentioning the engine. I am sure they'd know it should be a tad underpowered for the vehicle.

I also read the comparo between i20 and Fabia 1.2 MPI - Fabia won

PS:-
For people who think I am a Fabia fan boy, I am not :-)
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:54   #655
BHPian

Speaking of car magazines - all they seem to say about engines(not just the i20) nowadays is that they are disappointed, but feel they are good enough to do service in the city. Sitting on the fence or have they just given up?
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:33   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Yes, you are right. Electro-Hydraulic steering. It switches to Hydraulic after 80 kmph according to the salesman but i dint find any change over 80. The steering was still super light with no feedback.
steering becomes tight when u will revv the car below 80 kmph.
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:22   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

I also read the comparo between i20 and Fabia 1.2 MPI - Fabia won

PS:-
For people who think I am a Fabia fan boy, I am not :-)
Actually I also read that ACI comparison. As per them, i20 was beating Fabia is almost everything and in the end they gave the crown to Fabia!!! The reason was solely Skoda's premium-ness! Its utterly stupid really!

Why didnt they also mention the exorbitant Skoda maintenance/spare costs, Merc like accessories costs, lack of service in smaller towns etc?
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:50   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
It talked about safety, gadgets etc, but not a single mention about the engine. Not even the basic engine specs. I think Hyundai themselves are shying away from mentioning the engine. I am sure they'd know it should be a tad underpowered for the vehicle.
Is it also strange that I looked through a few car sites to do a comparison between the i10 and i20, and I couldnt find a mention of the i20s gross/kerb weight anywhere? Can someone enlighten me about how much more weight that 1.2 engine is lugging around in the i20 as compared to the i10?
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:02   #659
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Is it also strange that I looked through a few car sites to do a comparison between the i10 and i20, and I couldnt find a mention of the i20s gross/kerb weight anywhere? Can someone enlighten me about how much more weight that 1.2 engine is lugging around in the i20 as compared to the i10?
i20 weighs about 200Kg more than i10!
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:36   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i20 weighs about 200Kg more than i10!
Hmm well it figures. I was pretty close to getting down and pushing the car to make it go faster. What were hyundai thinking? They always seem to compromise somewhere. Either safety, or performance or build quality. I feel that theyre not as "popular" as maruti is yet to start compromising on stuff yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks