Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 15:23   #676
VMG
BHPian

Arm rest for both front and back seat are available in I20?
Old 13th February 2009, 18:43   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Arm rest for both front and back seat are available in I20?
Unfortunately, no. Not on the Indian i20 at least. I remember seeing the feature (front armrest for the driver) in one of the overseas versions' specs.

The Getz 1.3 GLS and GLX have the driver's armrest in front which makes it very comfortable to rest the arm while cruising on the highway. Say you're doing 90 kmph on the highway - left foot resting on clutch foot rest, left hand resting on driver's arm rest. Very comfortable to drive. I've tried this myself on a Getz 1.3 GLX test drive back in Aug 2008.

Neither the Getz nor the i20 has a rear seat centre armrest like in some sedans. Somehow, if a 60-40 split folding seat is offered, the armrest gets eliminated. Also, in the i20 there is no headrest for the rear centre passenger. But the overseas i20s have it as can be seen from some pictures attached by me earlier.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited by VSG12777 : 13th February 2009 at 18:45.
Old 13th February 2009, 18:48   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post

The Getz 1.3 GLS and GLX have the driver's armrest in front which makes it very comfortable to rest the arm while cruising on the highway. Say you're doing 90 kmph on the highway - left foot resting on clutch foot rest, left hand resting on driver's arm rest. Very comfortable to drive. I've tried this myself on a Getz 1.3 GLX test drive back in Aug 2008.

Venkat
Is it possible to fit Getz driver's armrest in i20? I'd suppose so but am not 100% certain.

Driver armrest is definitely a must-have feature missing on this car. I dont think it costs so much so am just wondering why they didnt think of providing it in a so-called "luxury hatch"!
Old 13th February 2009, 20:16   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Is it possible to fit Getz driver's armrest in i20? I'd suppose so but am not 100% certain.
Quote:

Hmm. Not sure whether that can be done.

Driver armrest is definitely a must-have feature missing on this car. I dont think it costs so much so am just wondering why they didnt think of providing it in a so-called "luxury hatch"!
Well that's Hyundai India for you. Bunch of weidos taking absurd decisions on the pricing and features of their cars. Airbags and ABS on i20 and i20 but only ABS on a 8 to 9 lakh car like the Verna !! No airbags !

There are so many things like this that these guys have decided to "delete" for the Indian market versions of these cars.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 13th February 2009, 20:47   #680
Senior - BHPian

Is a diesel expected on the i20?
Old 13th February 2009, 22:37   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Is a diesel expected on the i20?
I've seen a 1.4L CRDi i20 in LHD guise (export model) at HMP Delhi once. THey have a diesel for the i20, but when they'll give it to us anyone's guess.
Old 13th February 2009, 23:06   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[i]

Well that's Hyundai India for you. Bunch of weidos taking absurd decisions on the pricing and features of their cars.
Well to tell you the truth its too trivial a thing to dissuade me from buying this car. I am in the market for a new car (to book it latest by next month) and i20 fits the bill. 99% of the time it is going to be used for city drive (20 KM daily office in Noida, occassional weekend drives to Delhi etc and one or two annual highway jaunts to nearby places). There will be just 2 people in the car 90% of the time. I have gone thru at least 5 different auto journal reviews and all of them have been quite generous in their praise (even the so called 1.2 liter puny engine is not that ridiculed as over here by tbhp enthusiasts who are yet to test drive the car Anyway my requirements are comfort and refinement (and good mileage in the city) rather than performance! i20 scores good on those parameters.

Too bad Fiat has delayed GP so much! I'd have picked up that with eyes closed if only it was available!

Last edited by joslicx : 13th February 2009 at 23:07.
Old 14th February 2009, 01:28   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Well to tell you the truth its too trivial a thing to dissuade me from buying this car. I am in the market for a new car (to book it latest by next month) and i20 fits the bill. 99% of the time it is going to be used for city drive (20 KM daily office in Noida, occassional weekend drives to Delhi etc and one or two annual highway jaunts to nearby places). There will be just 2 people in the car 90% of the time. I have gone thru at least 5 different auto journal reviews and all of them have been quite generous in their praise (even the so called 1.2 liter puny engine is not that ridiculed as over here by tbhp enthusiasts who are yet to test drive the car Anyway my requirements are comfort and refinement (and good mileage in the city) rather than performance! i20 scores good on those parameters.

Too bad Fiat has delayed GP so much! I'd have picked up that with eyes closed if only it was available!
@Joslicx:

Agree with you totally. Even in my test drive review I had posted, I had clearly mentioned that when I floored the throttle, the car did speed up to about 90 kmph fairly quickly. However, we're not gonna be flooring the throttle so often. I tried a few different styles of driving. For quick bursts of acceleration, the i20 with the current 1.2L Kappa engine definitely doesn't fit the bill. However for more sedate driving and gradual acceleration, it is lovely. Very refined and so quiet inside the cabin. Even when I was flooring the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, there was very little noise inside the cabin at that speed of approx 90 kmph. I was far more than impressed.

Though a couple of features in the overseas version have been deleted in the Indian i20, it's still a great car and reasonably good value for money. Quality, smoothness, space, features, refinement, build - it's all top notch. Power - well some want more while others are happy with the power it offers. The modified gear ratios have surely made some difference in the way the car drives. After all, the i20 is about 200 kg more than the i10 I think.

The gearbox is ultra smooth and I really found myself shifting up and down just to experience that silky smooth gear shift.

Even if the i20 is launched later with the 1.4L CRDi and the 1.4L petrol engine with 100 bhp, the current Asta version is still a great car. Go for it mate !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 14th February 2009, 13:42   #684
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have gone thru at least 5 different auto journal reviews and all of them have been quite generous in their praise (even the so called 1.2 liter puny engine is not that ridiculed as over here by tbhp enthusiasts who are yet to test drive the car
I suggest that you take your own testdrive into consideration or this forums comments. But please, the well-funded-by-Hyundai auto journals are the last place to depend on!! If everyone had to go by their word, the Skoda Fabia would have been a success story in India. Twice over!
Old 14th February 2009, 14:14   #685
BHPian

The automags have long squandered their credibility, it would be naive to trust them with car buying decisions given the current state of not only the auto media but the general media, especially when we have such a fabulous resource in team-bhp.

For instance as I posted in the other thread for the i20 itself there is a discrepancy of 3.5 secs in the timings for 0-100, this when these folks use professional equipment.

Its not that the i20 is unbearably slow, most of the reviews here have been positive save for the engine which is a let down, for the folks here. Just like the ANHC is taking a beating on the forums inspite of its fresh design and powerful engine, for its ordinary interiors and for being underequipped.

It just that the sort of folks who congregate here are likely to be more interested in cars, the driving experience, be better informed and have higher expectations. There is definitely a market for a 80bhp i20, just that a lot of forum members here here would give that a miss and wait for the 1.4, or if they are in a hurry and have no alternatives go for the 1.2 and crib.
Old 14th February 2009, 16:31   #686
BHPian

@Joslicx:
As long as you're happy with it, go for it! Its a good car at a decent price - it needs a bit more power but then so does most of the current petrol-engined competition.
Old 14th February 2009, 17:44   #687
Senior - BHPian

buy the car from your own experience, not the others. their criteria and your criteria are never the same.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:31   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you totally. Even in my test drive review I had posted, I had clearly mentioned that when I floored the throttle, the car did speed up to about 90 kmph fairly quickly ...

Very refined and so quiet inside the cabin. Even when I was flooring the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, there was very little noise inside the cabin at that speed of approx 90 kmph. I was far more than impressed...

Quality, smoothness, space, features, refinement, build - it's all top notch. Power - well some want more while others are happy with the power it offers...

The gearbox is ultra smooth and I really found myself shifting up and down just to experience that silky smooth gear shift.

...Go for it mate !!
Agree with each and every word. Its probably the most refined hatch in india(have not driven a fabia though) by a good margin. Its a premium city hatch. Magna may be over priced by 30k. That's about it.

With 3 people, and ac set at 18(outside temp was 30+), i didn't find this car to be sluggish. I didn't get a chance to test it is packed traffic. Mostly it was on open roads...

Getz standing next to it, looks so outdated, esp the interiors. Forget swift, its not even a competition for this car.

The top end, steering looked a bit wierd though.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:28   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Just like the ANHC is taking a beating on the forums inspite of its fresh design and powerful engine, for its ordinary interiors and for being underequipped.
I just visited Honda showroom again today (Ace Honda Noida) and had a dekho of both ANHC 1.5 AT and NHC Gxi CVT side by side. Forget the exterior looks, the NHC just blows you over! ANHC feels like cheapo compared to its older avatar! CVT gear shift is a joy to look at while 1.5 AT one is too bland and cheap looking. Why couldnt Honda keep the interiors (at least) the same as Gxi? I actually think even the older steering looked much better than the new (Civic copy) one!

And now the prices:
1.3 Gxi CVT ~ 8l On road Noida price (OTR Delhi 20k more)
1.5 iDSI AT ~ 9.2 On road Noida price (OTR Delhi again 20k more).

In the 8l rupee car you have fog lamps and alloys. In the 9.2l rupee car you dont have those but you have ABS and airbags!

How I wish the 1.3 Gxi CVT had ABS and airbags! I would have written the check then and there, Delhi traffic notwithstanding (CVT can take care of that

Last edited by joslicx : 14th February 2009 at 23:30.
Old 15th February 2009, 20:51   #690
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
There is definitely a market for a 80bhp i20, just that a lot of forum members here here would give that a miss and wait for the 1.4, or if they are in a hurry and have no alternatives go for the 1.2 and crib.
Could be a market for the 80 BHP i20 at a better price. It's gonna tank with the current price tag, I'm willing to bet on it. Expect Hyundais typical price corrections / discounts sooner rather than later. Plus, they have to make some room for the diesel too, wot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks