Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 17:05   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Because the lowest trim of the NHC was available for 7.4L onroad-Chennai, while the lowest trim of the ANHC was a good 7.71L ex-showroom. So adding tax+insurance, the on-road price is going to be close to 1lakh more.
True, but for that extra price, you are getting ABS, Airbags, a revolutionary music system , apart from a whopping increase of more than 50% in bhp. Not to mention something that looks way better (just my opinion) than the NHC.

Not good enough, eh?

Last edited by suman : 21st January 2009 at 17:07.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Time (and sales figures) will tell if majority of people will think whether a car is overpriced. They will take into account refinement, FE and reliability and decide on VFM.
I guess you are talking about the ANHC. If so, something tells me that this time around Honda is not going to have the cakewalk they had with previous editions of the City. Ofcourse there will be people buying it because it is a Honda, but I doubt whether they will see the kind of sales they saw with the NHC.

Again, as you said, let us wait for time. And sales figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
True, but for that extra price, you are getting ABS, Airbags, a revolutionary music system, apart from a whopping increase of more than 50% in bhp. Not to mention something that looks way better (just my opinion) than the NHC. Not good enough, eh?
Hmm. Sort of good enough, if not for the fact that the NHC was overpriced to start with. So, when you add this extra 100K on top, makes it grossly overpriced.

And about the looks, I loved the looks when I saw it in the mags. But when I see it on the road, my observations are :
1) When you look at it frontally, all you see are arrows. Must be the arrowshot design.
2) The rear view makes it look like a small car - not a C-segmenter.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st January 2009 at 17:13.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:32   #138
Senior - BHPian

@Supreme- Exactly what i felt on seeing ANHC on road. For me Linea loses only on the Engine front and we have to admit Honda credibility is more in India than Fiat at the moment.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
I would go for Linea. Although the new Honda City also has all the features but somehow Fiat Linea sounds to be more amazing. The advanced engine technologies are just superb. I don't know much about the FIRE engine but have seen and even experienced the performance of the turbocharged diesel engine.
It also beats the Honda City in terms of its boot capacity.
I have heard that it has about 500 litre of boot capacity and that's tremendous.
Precisely, G3HC has a bigger boot than Linea. Linea boot is 500 ltrs, G3HC is 505 ltrs.
As far as engine technology goes, Honda's VTEC is one of the most effective in the world ( the other two most effective are BMW VANOS and Toyota VVTi ). Both lift and phasing are possible. Presently all manufacturers have them, but all are not as effective as what Honda has. The biggest plus point of G3HC can be considered as powertrain.
In both boot space and engine parameters, G3HC is well ahead of Linea.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:45   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I myself have pointed out several qualities of Linea. However I do think that the outcome of the review did ticker many Fiat fans.
I doubt, it's really about the outcome. These 2 cars have their own strong points and will appeal to different set of people for same reason.

But, what fellow BHPians (Fiat and non-Fiat guys) have been pointing out, is that the logic about safety rating is clearly flawed for reasons described earlier. You need not take that personally.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:47   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
But, what fellow BHPians (Fiat and non-Fiat guys) have been pointing out, is that the logic about safety rating is clearly flawed for reasons described earlier. You need not take that personally.
Sigh! If only.....

Anyway, even with my clouted judgement, I have been saying from day one that the Linea will never outsell the City. Even if it came with 10 airbags and 150bhp diesel engine for a price equal to City E.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:56   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
1) Exteriors - Linea 4, City 3.5
Linea looks good from every angle

2) Interiors - Linea 4, City 3.5
Good quality plastics on the Linea, more space

3) Safety - Linea 5, City 4
Linea is based on the Punto (EuroNCAP rating of 5) while City is based on the Jazz (rating of 4)

4) Economy - Linea 4.5 , City 3.5
FE should be comparable, but Linea has the diesel advantage
1) I think looks are subjective matter. But in general Linea looks better.

2) Good interior plastic quality for Linea, but poor rear seat space as compared to G3HC, so here G3HC deserves a better rating for more space. Also boot space is more ( but by a mere 5 ltrs. ).

3) Wrong. The G2HC ( NHC ) was based on 2004 Jazz which scored 4/5. The new Jazz is not yet tested.
Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Search results

4) Lets keep it petrol to petrol comparison if we are giving a score. Obviously Diesel will be cheaper, but it would be better if we compare 1.4 "FIRE" with G3HC.

Overall, IMO, if this is the comparison by OD and ACI, both of them are wrong.
Old 21st January 2009, 18:01   #143
BHPian

With whatever little experience I have with the cars, IMHO both the cars are absolutely fantastic and owners of cars from both the manufacturers always had their fan following. All I can say that it is really such a good time for buyers in this segment. They are actually spoilt for choices.

Dzire, Indigo, SX4, Fiesta, Verna, Logan, Lancer and now ANHC & Linea all these definitely have their plus and minus points. Between Honda City and Linea, its a tough call for an average user.

Straight easy decision - All those looking for sheer comfort, less driving and Auto Tranny - can choose City Plus Resale value assured to be good ( by the track record of Hondas here) and those driving long distances and overall VFM ( subjective) - looking for diesel may choose linea. And yes hope like hell that Linea mfrs delivers on After sales services as expected else resale will also nosedive.

Last edited by shatrughna : 21st January 2009 at 18:03.
Old 21st January 2009, 18:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Precisely, G3HC has a bigger boot than Linea. Linea boot is 500 ltrs, G3HC is 505 ltrs.
As far as engine technology goes, Honda's VTEC is one of the most effective in the world ( the other two most effective are BMW VANOS and Toyota VVTi ). Both lift and phasing are possible. Presently all manufacturers have them, but all are not as effective as what Honda has. The biggest plus point of G3HC can be considered as powertrain.
boot space... 500 vs 505 and well ahead?
We can also say that Linea has the best 1.3 Diesel engine in the entire world and Honda hasnt even started with this in India.
The 1.4 Litre 90 bhp petrol motor is not too bad to start with. If i20 can be considered reasonable even though overpriced and underpowered, why cant Linea when it gives more than any other car in its segment and costs a considerable amount lesser.
Old 21st January 2009, 19:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as engine technology goes, Honda's VTEC is one of the most effective in the world ( the other two most effective are BMW VANOS and Toyota VVTi ).
Would you care to explain what you meant by 'Effective' engine
Old 21st January 2009, 20:00   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Below is what I think the rating should be:

Safety - Linea 5, City 4
Linea is based on the Punto (EuroNCAP rating of 5) while City is based on the Jazz (rating of 4)
Referring to the image attached by you, I'd like to make a correction that the City has EBD.Check the brochure!

Last edited by theragingbull : 21st January 2009 at 20:04.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How much of a difference does it make with 5 litres advantage??

Last edited by karanraheja : 21st January 2009 at 20:11.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:22   #148
Senior - BHPian

In the Linea 1.4 FIRE petrol engine, the accronym FIRE stands for "Fully Integrated Robotized Engine"
Just wondering why it is called FIRE and how this is different.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:33   #149
BHPian

stop calling the E version a base variant for we never know when honda may strip some features (most presumably that would be safety), plonk a 1.3 iVtec and price it on par with Linea. Then you guys wont even have the single reason that keeps repeating on every of 10 pages. I'm not supporting FIAT here, but Honda isn't exactly providing safety on EVERY variant by providing just two variants that are overpriced for engine only. They are playing on their brand name which FIAT can't afford to.

And if we just assume a hypothetical situation where FIAT introduces 120bhp (not detuned) T-JET. I guess a lakh premium over FIRE is what FIAT will charge.Then it would be just 20k or 30k costlier than ANHC E and offers same power and loads of extra features. It will also be 20-30K cheaper than ANHC S. what would you say then??

Oh I forgot that iVtec is a superior technology and it doesn't matter even if T-Jet offers similar power. superior technology asks for a ridiculous premium. isn't it???
Old 21st January 2009, 20:43   #150
Senior - BHPian

The 1.4 T-Jet, (if launched, and if not detuned ) in India would leave the IVtec way behind in performance. According to the FIAT international site the T Jet Linea would do 0-100 in 9 secs. On the flip side, it will never give the FE of the iVtec. FIAT did a right thing in launching a non turbo engine here, considering the way Palio GTX fared.

With competition heating up - i do see a possibility that Honda will fit the city with a smaller 1.3 iVtec sooner than expected.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 21st January 2009 at 20:45.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks