Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 01:32   #46
BHPian

How good is the Linea petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I dont think its fair to compare the Linea FIRE engine with the iVtec of Honda at all. The engine costs definitely more than FIRE engine and is technically more advanced.
How good is the Linea FIRE anyway? I don't remember anyone mentioning a TD of the petrol.

I see a clear 1 L+ advantage in buying the top-end petrol over the diesel. Given that my usage would be only about 6-8K km a year, a diesel would be an overkill. I'm sure there are others like me on this forum. A comparison of the petrol would also be very helpful.
Old 18th January 2009, 02:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
How good is the Linea FIRE anyway? I don't remember anyone mentioning a TD of the petrol.

I see a clear 1 L+ advantage in buying the top-end petrol over the diesel. Given that my usage would be only about 6-8K km a year, a diesel would be an overkill. I'm sure there are others like me on this forum. A comparison of the petrol would also be very helpful.
The petrol test drives not available in Delhi. The petrol models delivery too will start form March!
Old 18th January 2009, 08:21   #48
BHPian

@aseem: That was a nice and neutral comparison.

Though your safety ratings look slightly leaning towards NHC and for engine and driveability ,Linea drawing flak for its lack of enthusiasm, I feel the manufacturers have reacted to the feedback of their previous models and experience in India.

Fiat Linea may have got it right than Honda City as the Indian mindset still roots for fuel efficiency and not for safety features. Then again its a point of view and most of us would have been happy if ABS was there in linea starting from the dynamic variant. I would put ABS above Airbags if there were a choice.

All the sore points like head room, plain centre console and dead pedal positioning are things which most are in agreement with.

The initial bookings and feedback suggest that people have giving Fiat a chance again. How FIAT can transalate this interest to a sustained one remains to be seen. This is where Honda is perched much higher.
Old 18th January 2009, 08:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I had suggested that they put in the 1.6 engine from the GTX for the Petrol version and for the diesel the 1.6jtd engine.

Fiat Bravo: All the strengths of the new 1.6 Multijet 16v engine
Hmm... An 1.6 MJD VGT with 120Bhp & 300Nm @ 1500. That would have done wonders here. FIAT did take a gamble by considering people here would
1) wont pay for performance (and thereby 1.3)
3) would prefer better mileage over performance

I would as well have them bring a 1.6 MJD VGT, here - even if it costs a few more bucks. I guess we all should just wait for a month to see how market reacts to the cards FIAT played.
Old 18th January 2009, 15:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Linea Safety
The top Emotion Option pack model gets Airbags, ABS/EDB, 3 point seat belt system. Force safety like Honda even if it means increased price.
According to what someone said in another thread, the Linea does not have a 3-point belt for the rear centre passenger and neither does the City, Civic, CRV, or Altis. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I prefer to offer safety as an option (like the i20) rather than forcing people. The Magna i20 does not even have pretensioners for the front seatbelts.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Thats why I have taken points away from Fiat. Simply as Safety is optional but not mandatory!
What if a Honda owner drivers the car without without wearing seatbelts? Will you take points from Honda City? People who care about safety will go for cars with ABS and Airbags.

I live in Chennai and I have rarely seen people wearing seat belts even in the most expensive cars. May the God save them!
Old 18th January 2009, 16:56   #52
agm
BHPian

Nice review there mate

TD ANHC yesterday and honestly i am in love with that car even when i know so many people in the forum dint like it for many reasons.i am a big fiat fan but even when i am planning to get a sedan soon i am not considering linea .if everything goes fine will go for ANHC soon.
Old 18th January 2009, 20:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Honda has made Saftey Mandatory and not optional, Kudos to them. They have set a precedence that not only D segment but C segment cars should have these features as standard.

I cant buy the argument that what if ppl dont wear seat belts. Well its their fault if they dont, but the question I am addressing here is, what if ppl dont even have seat belts...
Old 18th January 2009, 22:34   #54
ashwinpak

Were you doing a comparison on the cars or people's buying attitudes? If it was the former, then you should have been comparing similar versions for both cars. Giving 2.5 for safety for a car which is based on the Punto which has got a 5 star Euro NCAP crash rating is attrocious. Even the Honda Civic has only a 4 star rating. Also, why is the FE aspect left out? The comparison that was supposed to be a fair one is increasingly looking biased, but is cleverly disguised. Maybe, one can take a clue or two from the pics posted. While the Linea is in the showroom, the City stands in front of a (your?) house.

Quote:
Honda has made Saftey Mandatory and not optional, Kudos to them. They have set a precedence that not only D segment but C segment cars should have these features as standard.

I cant buy the argument that what if ppl dont wear seat belts. Well its their fault if they dont, but the question I am addressing here is, what if ppl dont even have seat belts...

Old 18th January 2009, 23:03   #55
BHPian

Let's only compare the Linea emotion pack with the ANHC. If someone goes in for a lower version of the Linea, the most probable cause would be a budget constraint, in that case he will not be able to buy the honda city anyway. The comparison is for people who have a budget of 9-10 lakhs and would like to opt for either a linea or city. For someone with a budget of 7-8L, it's no point comparing the 2 cars since he cannot consider the city anyway.
Old 19th January 2009, 08:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Were you doing a comparison on the cars or people's buying attitudes? If it was the former, then you should have been comparing similar versions for both cars. Giving 2.5 for safety for a car which is based on the Punto which has got a 5 star Euro NCAP crash rating is attrocious. Even the Honda Civic has only a 4 star rating. Also, why is the FE aspect left out? The comparison that was supposed to be a fair one is increasingly looking biased, but is cleverly disguised. Maybe, one can take a clue or two from the pics posted. While the Linea is in the showroom, the City stands in front of a (your?) house.
Agree with you in EuroNCAP rating. G3HC is based on Jazz ( this time different panels ) which is yet to to be tested at EuroNCAP. Honda just recently manages 5 stars there.
And linea structure is safe without doubt.
But I seriously doubt the quality of automobiles made available in India. This includes all manufacturers. So I think what we can bet on for rating is features.

And the G3HC photographs are taken from some other thread in TBHP.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok Sherlock , before you jump the gun, the pictures are taken from TBHP (other threads) as I had mentioned and actually in the pics Linea looks a lot better than ANHC. And in the review it gets a lot higher points in both interior and exterior than the ANHC.

What I am sensing here is that somehow I have ticked many folks who like a Linea by declaring ANHC a winner. Trust me I would have been on recieving end from Honda fanboys if I had declared Linea a winner. Its just my opinion, and yes, by the end of the two test drives I felt Honda to be a better car, though lacking in some respects to Linea. If only Fiat bring a better engine....

Lastly I want Linea to do well, as I dont want Fiat to leave. More competition, means better deal for us customers!

Last edited by aseem : 19th January 2009 at 21:24.
Old 19th January 2009, 21:46   #58
ashwinpak

I am not a FIAT fanboy, but Iused to like the Palio a lot. In fact, I am leaning towards booking a ANHC for myself. I like the Linea, but at the end of the day, I wanted an automatic, and a petrol motor, hence I am going for it. Except for the EPS and the lack of CC, I felt the ANHC is a really good car.

What I objected to, in your comparison is just the 2.5 you gave for the Linea. Not just me, a lot of TBHPians has cried foul about the logic of not comparing with the E varient of Linea just beacuse you felt that not many are going to buy it. That is a stupid reasoning, hence I felt that rather than it beinga reasoning, it might have been deliberate.

Quote:
Ok Sherlock , before you jump the gun, the pictures are taken from TBHP (other threads) as I had mentioned and actually in the pics Linea looks a lot better than ANHC. And in the review it gets a lot higher points in both interior and exterior than the ANHC.

What I am sensing here is that somehow I have ticked many folks who like a Linea by declaring ANHC a winner. Trust me I would have been on recieving end from Honda fanboys if I had declared Linea a winner. Its just my opinion, and yes, by the end of the two test drives I felt Honda to be a better car, though lacking in some respects to Linea. If only Fiat bring a better engine....

Lastly I want Linea to do well, as I dont want Fiat to leave. More competition, means better deal for us customers!

Old 20th January 2009, 12:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not a FIAT fanboy, but Iused to like the Palio a lot. In fact, I am leaning towards booking a ANHC for myself. I like the Linea, but at the end of the day, I wanted an automatic, and a petrol motor, hence I am going for it. Except for the EPS and the lack of CC, I felt the ANHC is a really good car.

What I objected to, in your comparison is just the 2.5 you gave for the Linea. Not just me, a lot of TBHPians has cried foul about the logic of not comparing with the E varient of Linea just beacuse you felt that not many are going to buy it. That is a stupid reasoning, hence I felt that rather than it beinga reasoning, it might have been deliberate.
I am sure there are many better ways to debate a point that to retort to high school name calling!
For the nth time, I dont think majority of Linea sales wont come from Linea Emotion Pack, therefore those who dont buy the pack wont get the safety features. However 100% of Honda City owners will get access to all the safety features.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think majority of Linea sales wont come from Linea Emotion Pack, therefore those who dont buy the pack wont get the safety features. However 100% of Honda City owners will get access to all the safety features.
Those considering the Linea Dynamic are not going to be Honda City buyers anyway. It's only the Linea emotion variant buyers that will cross shop with the City.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks