Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 20:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
boot space... 500 vs 505 and well ahead?
We can also say that Linea has the best 1.3 Diesel engine in the entire world and Honda hasnt even started with this in India.
Not ahead, but I was responding to the post where one user claimed that Linea is well ahead of G3HC as far as boot space is concerned. I posted to say that it is not so.

Again the post I was referring to had the data that
Quote:
Fiat Linea sounds to be more amazing. The advanced engine technologies are just superb
, so what I wanted to say is that Honda VVTi are one of the best and most effective in real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Would you care to explain what you meant by 'Effective' engine
IIRC, there are total three types of VVT.
1) Valve lift.
2) Camshaft phase
3) Both 1 and 2.
The recent VVT from Honda, Toyota and BMW offer both 1 and 2. This leads to good performance along with FE from one engine. The specific output, obviously goes up.
Honda had S2000 which had more than 120bhp/ltr from 2.0 ltr engine. In India also, G3HC has very high specific output, good performance coupled with good FE.
This is what I meant by the word effective.
Hyundai Verna VVT is just changing the direction of rotation on intake camshaft at high rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
How much of a difference does it make with 5 litres advantage??
Not much, but again I was replying to comments :
Quote:
It also beats the Honda City in terms of its boot capacity. I have heard that it has about 500 litre of boot capacity and that's tremendous.
So I just wanted to convey that the advantage as per capacity is with G3HC. Nothing more.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:02   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) Good interior plastic quality for Linea, but poor rear seat space as compared to G3HC, so here G3HC deserves a better rating for more space. Also boot space is more ( but by a mere 5 ltrs. ).
Does ANHC have the regular boot opening mechanism which intrudes into the boot space? That will take away a few litres of useful space. The hinge mechanism of the Linea does not intrude into the boot space at all.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Does ANHC have the regular boot opening mechanism which intrudes into the boot space? That will take away a few litres of useful space. The hinge mechanism of the Linea does not intrude into the boot space at all.
Since we are on the topic of boot, I was curious how boot of Linea is opened since I dont see a handle. Possibly the lid opens when a lever is pulled from inside (or with a button on the remote) but still handle would have been handy when the car is wet/dirty.
Also the number plate (and the light lighting it) on the bottom of the bumber tends to get dirty easily.
This is probably becasue Linea designers were keen on giving a clean-uncluttered look to the rear.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:28   #154
BHPian

I was expecting big cabin space in LINEA, very sad to have such tight space in car so big in dimensions

Surely, G3HC has a better rear bench & is more comfortable than Linea for a 6' tall person like me. I am not only referring to the leg space but the head/ shoulder room too!

Yes, NHC zxi's rear is much better than the one on G3HC
Old 21st January 2009, 21:34   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
I was expecting big cabin space in LINEA, very sad to have such tight space in car so big in dimensions

Surely, G3HC has a better rear bench & is more comfortable than Linea for a 6' tall person like me. I am not only referring to the leg space but the head/ shoulder room too!

Yes, NHC zxi's rear is much better than the one on G3HC
The reason for better interior space in G3HC despite shorter overall length is due to the clever packaging, especially the fuel tank that has moved bellow driver seat liberating substantial space.

But it is also little scary to know that you are sitting on a petrol tank.
Not sure if there are any instances where AHC caught fire and drivers suffered more becasue of this angle.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:46   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yeah, I would also like to know why only the Linea became underpowered. I am sure the OCtavia would weigh almost same as Linea with its tank-like-build. And what is surprising is that the 68bhp Fiesta-D has not been called under-powered.
The problem with Linea is poor driveability due to turbo lag and tall gearing which gives the feeling of being underpowered. In fact, if they throw out the VGT turbo and go back to the 75 bhp spec it will be better for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
i-Vtec engine or whatever, it is a fact that the ANHC IS overpriced. Because the lowest trim of the NHC was available for 7.4L onroad-Chennai, while the lowest trim of the ANHC was a good 7.71L ex-showroom. So adding tax+insurance, the on-road price is going to be close to 1lakh more than what it was for NHC. If this is not overpriced, I don't know what is.
If Honda is smart, they will sell as many Citys as they can to the Honda crazy people and when demands starts to drop off, come in with a cut price 77bhp i-dsi version of the City.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:56   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
The reason for better interior space in G3HC despite shorter overall length is due to the clever packaging, especially the fuel tank that has moved bellow driver seat liberating substantial space.

But it is also little scary to know that you are sitting on a petrol tank.
Not sure if there are any instances where AHC caught fire and drivers suffered more becasue of this angle.
The fuel tank `moved' under the front seats in the NHC - there is no change to that design. In that respect, the NHC and ANHC are the same.
Seems to be pretty safe - haven't heard of any safety issues with the NHC, have we? In fact, the tank being in the middle of the car as opposed to the back may be a lot safer in the event of being rear-ended.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:58   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
That is what I was guessing. Did a quick google search and came up with this image from Honda's Australian site. Guess the same version is sold in India. Honda also seems to have a relatively non-obtrusive system, so I guess we can call it a tie in terms of usable boot space.
Attached Thumbnails
Linea vs City Comparison Report-gr_boot.jpg  

Old 21st January 2009, 21:59   #159
Senior - BHPian

Fiat should have asked Suzuki to provide the transmission, gear box like in Sedici ! Maybe they should re-design Sedici for a Linea with a totally different look.

Honda should stick to what its offering in terms of engine. Maybe add new features (auto climate, alloys etc.,). I don't think they would reduce the price. Its only now that all Honda cars have vtec (including the Civic, all trims)
Old 21st January 2009, 22:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The problem with Linea is poor driveability due to turbo lag and tall gearing which gives the feeling of being underpowered. In fact, if they throw out the VGT turbo and go back to the 75 bhp spec it will be better for them.
Not sure if you test drove Linea?
But, I will disagree with you here, actually turbo lag is not noticeable in Linea coz of VGT, the power delivery is very linear, and so driveability is quite good.
And I never felt Linea was underpowered, rather it is sufficiently powered for sedate drivers (majority of car owners will be in this category).
Old 21st January 2009, 22:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Fiat should have asked Suzuki to provide the transmission, gear box like in Sedici ! Maybe they should re-design Sedici for a Linea with a totally different look.
Firstly, Sedici is a Fiat car.
Secondly, why Fiat should ask Suzuki when Fiat has world class transmission and gearbox of it own?
Old 21st January 2009, 22:15   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Firstly, Sedici is a Fiat car.
Secondly, why Fiat should ask Suzuki when Fiat has world class transmission and gearbox of it own?
I believe he meant he wants Swift/SX4 type short shifting gearbox, not the longish throws of Linea.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:29   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
That is what I was guessing. Did a quick google search and came up with this image from Honda's Australian site. Guess the same version is sold in India. Honda also seems to have a relatively non-obtrusive system, so I guess we can call it a tie in terms of usable boot space.
Other aspepcts you can look for are, the lid opening (if it is big enough) and if the strut intrusion is considerable. Shape of the boot is aslo important.
So it my not be a tie
Old 21st January 2009, 22:30   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
That's the accord Euro not the City.

Honda Accord Euro Interior | 2009, 2008

The city's boot does intrude into the boot area big time. Actually none of the Honda's including the Accord have the hydraulic struts for boot.

The Sonata has gas struts for boot and bonnet whereas Jetta has for the boot only.

Gas struts for a sedan is generally found on premium cars so it's quite surprising to see it on the Linea.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:35   #165
BHPian

One of the biggest advantages of Linea is breaking power
as per overdrive
Linea stops from 100km/hr in 40.71 Mt/2.98 sec and
City stops in 50.6 Mt/3.49s
so linea stops quicker with less distance and 10 Mt is Huge margin,may that is the one of the reason City has Airbags for all the models..just kidding
but this is very important factor in vehicle safety.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks