Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What petrol C segment sedan would you buy?
Honda City 1.5 iVtec 113 55.39%
Fiat Linea 1.4 Fire 91 44.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 11:16   #106
BHPian

Not only is that the multijet engine is one of the best diesel engine's ever developed, the 1.4 fire petrol engine from fiat has bagged the 3rd spot in the international engine of the year 2008 for the category 1-litre to 1.4-litre where as the Honda 1.5 litre engine does not even figure in the top six places in the 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre category. Then why should Honda charge the Indian customers a premium for using the 1.5 litre engine

Last edited by sridharp77 : 21st January 2009 at 11:19. Reason: edited
Old 21st January 2009, 11:27   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I hope you appreciate the effort to collate ideas and write a review, before you jump the gun and call someones difference of opinion a joke!
Opinions apart, I would still call it a joke with due respect to your fine review. 4.5 for City and 2.5 for Linea is a joke. I could give 2.5 for cars like Vista/Palio where ABS/Airbags are not even available as an option. A car that manages to brake to stop much quicker than its counterparts and that offers more safety features than counterparts and that gives good confidence to driver be given 2.5/5 while the other one is 4.5/5?

And for the record, Linea is offering the two airbags at a nominal price of 25K.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Opinions apart, I would still call it a joke with due respect to your fine review. 4.5 for City and 2.5 for Linea is a joke. I could give 2.5 for cars like Vista/Palio where ABS/Airbags are not even available as an option. A car that manages to brake to stop much quicker than its counterparts and that offers more safety features than counterparts and that gives good confidence to driver be given 2.5/5 while the other one is 4.5/5?

And for the record, Linea is offering the two airbags at a nominal price of 25K.
25k for 2 airbags aint really nominal. The i20 is providing curtain airbags for 22k. I dont think there is any difference quality wise.

The problem with these variants is that there is no "self customization". You have to take a lot of other frills along with the ABS/Airbags. Hence this 25k might not just be the cost of Airbags alone.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:36   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
25k for 2 airbags aint really nominal. The i20 is providing curtain airbags for 22k.
Really? I thought that other manufacturers, including Maruti, charges about 50K extra for the two front airbags.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Also ABS with EBD is available as option in Dynamic variant and is standard in Emotion, it is missing only in base version (Active).

So, any safety conscious buyer will definitly opt for Emotion or Dynamic with option.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

I agree with tsk as far as NHC was concerned. The give a car with very acceptable performance (for a 77bhp engine), excellent mileage (best in the segment by a good margin), best interiors in the sgement and a Honda badge and a good price. ANHC that way has a few things going against it - its priced about 1L higher, mileage wont be as good and interiors dont look as good either (at least to me - you are free to disagree). I am sure it will do well, but probably not as good as the NHC (you are free to disagree).

FIAT always had the stimga of mileage against it cars - Palio or Petra. By the time they introduced a MJD version, the car was already dead. Its good to see that they have learnt from the mistakes and now give a well built car with a cheap running costs - just what janta wants. At expected mileage of 15 in city, it's running cost is around half of the City, factoring in diesel prices. Lets see how market takes it.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Really? I thought that other manufacturers, including Maruti, charges about 50K extra for the two front airbags.
Read the 2nd part of my post. I have mentioned that significant price differences between two variants need not be just because of airbags.

For say close to 60k difference between the Vxi (ABS) and Zxi, you get the following extra

1: 5 alloys + better profile tyres
2: Automatic climate control
3: Stereo system, 4 speakers and steering controls
4: Central/Remote locking
5: Rear Wiper/demister/defogger..

and lastly Airbags!

Chuck economies of scale, but still what do you think the price of the Airbags would be ?

If Maruti had offered a Vxi with optional ABS+Airbags, I'd never give the Zxi even a look!
Old 21st January 2009, 11:58   #113
BHPian

OT but did not understand, how Linea is underpowered with 90BHP, when Octavia is not underpowered with the same output.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
ANHC that way has a few things going against it - its priced about 1L higher, mileage wont be as good and interiors dont look as good either (at least to me - you are free to disagree). I am sure it will do well, but probably not as good as the NHC
Agree fully. I feel that the good run that Honda had with the City is going to taper down with the ANHC, for the reasons mentioned by SkyWalker. Ofcourse diabloo would not agree, but we can see the actual picture after a few months when the sales figures come in. The Linea effect and recession/slowdown will also not be helping matters for Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak
OT but did not understand, how Linea is underpowered with 90BHP, when Octavia is not underpowered with the same output.
Yeah, I would also like to know why only the Linea became underpowered. I am sure the OCtavia would weigh almost same as Linea with its tank-like-build. And what is surprising is that the 68bhp Fiesta-D has not been called under-powered.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:15   #115
Senior - BHPian

The power's got more to do with the name. If Honda has 77bhp, it's the best city car there is. If honda has 118 bhp, its still the most logical car there is. Other cars can never do anything right.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yeah, I would also like to know why only the Linea became underpowered. I am sure the OCtavia would weigh almost same as Linea with its tank-like-build. And what is surprising is that the 68bhp Fiesta-D has not been called under-powered.
Guess the underpowererd stuff is for the Petrol Linea. Esp when Aveo/Fiesta/SX4 offer 100+ horses.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The power's got more to do with the name. If Honda has 77bhp, it's the best city car there is. If honda has 118 bhp, its still the most logical car there is. Other cars can never do anything right.
If the car is good to drive in city, for common man, BHP stands nothing. So far many of us TDed have insisted, it is not rocket but certainly not underpowered to roam aropund.

May be if Linea picks up well (I wish), they may consider bringing 1.6 MJD and 1.4 TJet. Till then let "Aam janata drive it" and for Enthu, wait n watch.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:33   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess the underpowererd stuff is for the Petrol Linea. Esp when Aveo/Fiesta/SX4 offer 100+ horses.
The TD for petrol is not yet available how can one comment on the power just by referring to whats on paper. I think we must wait for it to be available and then judge if the power is enough or not. right?
Old 21st January 2009, 12:46   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Here i am not considering the fuel, but taking into consideration of the weight Vs power.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridak View Post
The Linea is defenitely not underpowered. It is only being exaggerated here in this forum.

I have TDed the Linea almost 3 times now and never I did feel the lack of power at any time.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks