Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 15:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: If you could go back in time, will you buy the same car ?

The old Zen. What a brilliant car. It was the first car I ever drove so there's an added emotional element. Was really sad to let it go. Yes, would definitely buy it again.

2009: Fiat Grande Punto. Is not the most efficient car in its segment, does not have the best interiors but it handles beautifully and I love that it still makes heads turn. P.S - I've got a red one Again? for sure! Probably a diesel one this time. The 1.4 is a fuel guzzler. No complaints though.

2007: Honda Civic. Nothing to say. The best car I've owned till date. More than 1 Lakh kms on the odo, still brings a smile every morning. Pulls the strings to your heart like no other. Buy it again? Hell yeah!
Old 7th February 2015, 20:40   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
[b][u]

2007 : Fiat Palio Stile Sport 1.6 - NO. BOught the car only because I was a fan of the 100 bhp 1.6 engine. But the car did not live up to my expectations.[list][*]The quality levels were generally poor. Poor QC was very evident. [*]The handling was all over the place. Fiat had jacked up the car to give it better ground clearance, which messed up the dynamics.[*]Horrible brakes. Sold the car after the car after two shunts that were caused solely becasue of poor brakes and lack of ABS.
"Handling all over the place" & Palio together in one line Palio is one of the best handling hatchbacks which has been launched in our market & I've never heard anyone complaining about Palio's dynamics. What quality levels are you talking about? The plastics & door trims of my 10+ year old palio still look & feel the same, 90% of the electronics & electricals are still factory genuine & havent been changed, rear suspension changed only once in 2 lakh kms, Car is running on its 3rd clutch set, ride quality & stability still shine & I can go on & on. Brake pedal has a spongy feel but horrible brakes is going a bit too far, this car has saved us on many occasions & the brakes did their job well & not once did they lock.
Old 7th February 2015, 21:50   #123
BHPian

2006 Chevrolet Aveo 1.6LT

Yes and No.

Yes because I have had a wonderful run with the machine all through the years and for another couple more God willing.

No because I regret not having bought the innova or atleast waiting out the one month for the then Fiesta. A top end Innova then didn't cost more than 9L. I personally dont think the Innova deserves the money it demands today.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

The old Jelly Bean Zen, yes.
The Eon, maybe not. Its a wonderful car, but the low ground clearance and weak engine are drawbacks.
Old 8th February 2015, 19:49   #125
BHPian

well, i currently own a toyota etios petrol, and although it met my priorities earlier (like a fast car, good fuel efficiency, reliable, etc), it has some glaring negatives which make it hard to love it and buy a second time around.
The sound deadening is absolutely poor and engine, road and tyre noise is deafening above 80kmph. Being a petrol, this is very very disappointing.
The cost cutting is glaringly obvious and the cabin is a very poor place to spend long drives in. The brakes are not all that great either.

So, a resounding no in my case, and its a rather expensive mistake
Old 9th February 2015, 11:03   #126
BHPian

The Ecosport? Sure. Two years down the line, I still don't see any other car that offers the same set of benefits for me.

The Palio 1.6? Maybe, Because of the discounts available on it, it was the cheapest hot hatch I was getting back then and back then the power and growl of the engine were important factors for me. If I was to buy today, I might just get the polo. It'd still cost more than double of what the Palio cost me back then but well, you only live once.
Old 9th February 2015, 11:13   #127
BHPian

Polo 1.2 petrol.

I would definitely buy a Polo again if I have to buy a car this side of Jetta. But not this 1.2 petrol.

I has to be the GT TSI.

While 1.2 petrol is adequate for city and even on highway till a speed of 90-100, the refinement leaves a lot to be desired. Also the mounts don't do a great job of masking the vibrations (newer Polos I drove are far smoother).

What I love are the sweet gearbox, the balanced ride and handling, great quality and simple lay of interiors, very practical boot and feeling of insulation from outside world once the windows are up.

Apart from refinement and lack of power, few other things which could be better are A.S.S reputation, rear seat space(although I am 5.7 so not a big issue) and better warranty coverage on parts such as suspension, etc.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.6. My first car. Yes, it had the worst brakes ever and hurt each time I sent it to Ford for a fix. However, the engine, though not a high revving unit, was responsive and tractable. The drivers seat and driving position is better than my existing car. Considering what the car cost back in the day, it beats every pseudo sedan on sale today.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:46   #129
BHPian

I own a Ritz.

Back then when i bought the car, the Toyota Live had just been introduced. I even went for a test drive but thought the product felt cheap.
The newer versions of Liva seem to feel much better. I also hear the product is a truly hassle free reliable car.
Old 10th February 2015, 11:17   #130
@KP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Hindsight provides new eyes --Wayne W. Dyer, You'll See It When You Believe It
1) 1999 - 2006 - Hero Honda Splendor - YES. Absolutely. Even days before I sold it, when I took it to the service center, they could not believe that the bike had done more than 1,00,000 kms and still going verrrry strong. But Alas, they don't make those Splendors now.

2) 2003 - 2007 - MS Alto VXi - YES. Well, nothing to complain about the car. No nonsense car that did its job. Mom just loved this car, because she visited so many temples while I was traveling

3) 2006 - Honda Activa - YES, YES, YES...!!

4) 2007 - MS Zen Estilo VXi - Perhaps no. Again, nothing to complain. Was smooth (like cutting through makkan with a hot knife) for the first 10-20K kms. After that, I just didn't enjoy the drive. Am just waiting for the Jazz re-launch now...
Old 10th February 2015, 13:02   #131
BHPian

Surely Ford Ikon Flair .. Had good time with my Black Panther and still repent selling it.
Old 10th February 2015, 14:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

I Own a Punto active and the answer is no.

1. I have better understanding of how important ABS and AirBags are now and if I can go back in time, I would have brought the emotion+ instead of Active.

2. We horribly miscalculated the usage of boot and went for a hatchback - if we can go back, instead of Punto Active, we would have brought Linea Emotion+, only because Linea have a boot and is as much fun to drive as a Punto. If the Linea was not available then we would have brought a Punto emotion+.

But yes, I will stick with FIAT. Will not change that.

--Anoop
Old 10th February 2015, 14:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

I owned a Fiat Punto MJD 90HP during 2010-2014. Sold only because I relocated. If I had to go back to 2010 and make a car purchase again, I would surely choose the Punto - with even less apprehension, if that's possible.
Old 10th February 2015, 14:36   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
We have owned/been given possession of various cars in our family. I am starting with 1999:

2007 Skoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDi L&K: Maybe! While the car is nice to drive: spares are expensive, a bit of body roll, and NO SPACE! In fact, if the car was just bigger from inside, it would be a yes! Features, practicality, everything! She does her airport trips and outstation trips well, and I still love taking her out for a spin. Back in 2007, I would have tried hard to get the new CR-V A/T though.
Just to update the list:

2007 Skoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDi L&K: Yes! (as opposed to the earlier maybe) After driving some of the newer generation skoda's and such, the Octavia truly was a class of its own. The ride and handling balance is outstanding, as was the build quality and reliability. The only change I would make going back would be picking up a sedan vRS (keeping in mind the historic fuel prices too )

2011 Toyota Etios Liva GD: Yes! As a no-nonsense hassle free car, nothing comes close to the Toyotas. Low maintenance, good fuel economy, amazing rear seat comfort, and surprisingly fun to drive. Heck we picked up a 2013 Etios VD-SP after the superb experience.
Sure it doesn't look and feel premium, but once you get over that and start discovering the other attributes, few cars will leave you as impressed.
If only Toyota sales team were a little better.

2011 Audi A6 2.0 TDi: No! Looks great, has great interiors, loaded with features, and a decently powerful diesel engine as well. But somewhere in the ownership period - I constantly see myself admiring every passing 530D. That is where the heart truly lies.
The A6 has been not so reliable, suffering from a host of issues including an Air Suspension issue within 22Kkm! The rear seat is too low making it hard for 6' folks to be as comfortable as they would like after paying the premium, and if you get behind the wheel - the uber light steering and width make it cumbersome to drive in traffic.

2012 Skoda Laura TDi L&K: Maybe not! Don't get me wrong, its a superb car. It made perfect sense to the head given it was slightly better to drive than the Jetta, loaded with features, a punchy engine, and good ride/handling combo. However, I might just have gone in for the Jetta if given another choice - looks much better, rear seat is much more comfortable (something I didn't take into account much until our chauffeur insisted he also get to experience the TDi wonders, and now he refuses to hand over the keys!)
Don't get me wrong - the car is fantastic and honestly made the most sense at the time, but as they say: the head and the heart never get along!
Old 10th February 2015, 15:35   #135
BHPian

This might be applicable to Fiesta Classic. What a car. They could have modified it with out compromising on the wonderful suspension it has. NVH levels are very much fine. Classic suspension. It sure is a car that one would love to buy again. Had they added some cosmetics like upgrading the ICE etc, Ford would have given a tough competition to Honda and Maruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks