Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 10:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Whats funny is for the naked eye from outside, Xylo looks more compact than innova, Especially at the rear end
But from some of the posts i can sense that Xylo has broader rear seats!!
Makes me wonder.. intelligent space management huh !!

I agree about quality aspects, but at this time of recession, i am kind of having this cheaper the better opinion

And M&M may not match the quality aspects of a toyota.. but than i dont think its that bad either(they must have definitely put the feedbacks from Scorpio for good use)

I am Betting on Xylo .. and given a choice(and money) i would choose Xylo
Old 12th February 2009, 11:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice comparison Raj. The top end Xylo also has the "flat bed" option for the front seats which the Innova doesn't. And, IIRC, individual reading lamps for all the passengers (again something the Innova doesn't have).
the innova does have those silly flat bed things. but IMO its barely ever used. the individual reading lamps are a nice feature but again IMO they arent used very much. in the innovas defence it has bottle holders for all the passengers
Old 12th February 2009, 11:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
in the innovas defence it has bottle holders for all the passengers
And the Xylo has food trays for the middle row
Old 12th February 2009, 12:47   #19
BHPian

I was waiting for such thread.
Considering the 1.8 L difference, xylo feels a logical choice.. but is there a major difference in Quality? like engine refined ness, gearbox, Fit and Finish, suspension.
I guess there will be difference.
I mean would the buyer think, after buying Xylo, that he should have spent the1.8L and bought the Innova.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

I wish success for Xylo for 2 reasons:
  • It looks incredibly VFM product. What Linea is doing with C+ sedan pricing, Xylo is doing the same for MUV pricing. Though Innova *may* be refined overallproduct (I am yet to sit in Xylo), Xylo seems to have good engine on its side. It distinguishes itself from Tavera, Sumo, Bolero category even though priced tad higher than them and lower than Innova.
  • It will put pressure on Innova and force Toyota to offer more goodies at lesser price.
Let's see how Xylo fares in market against Innova.
Old 12th February 2009, 13:50   #21
BHPian

Comparing top end to top end as defined by manufactures wouldnt signify anything for buyers, the spec changes everyday as competition heats up... so it would be similarly priced variants which matters for folks seeking maximum bang for their buck!!!

Voila, a top end Xylo competing with an entry level Innova - Hail Mahindra but pls give us those ABS and Airbags!!! bye bye Toyota, i guess you better start packing your bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
point to note here is that i have compared the innova GX with the Xylo E8.

ideally i should have compared the innova base variant 'E' with PS (Rs. 7,87,887) or innova E without PS (Rs.7,57,902) with the xylo E8 (Rs. 7,54,200), atleast price-wise, but comparing the base innova to the top end xylo would have been unfair!

yes, you read it right, the xylo top end is cheaper then innova base variant without even power steering!

while zappo is right that M&M should have provided ABS & airbags, i feel the xylo's ride is not as bumpy as potrayed on this forum. have a look at the ownership report from fellow BHPian 'vinay rathore'. i feel its a complete 'value for money' package, the xylo.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:06   #22
BHPian

Guys Guys! I would suggest you just read this Review and I hope most of the doubts will get cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
May be E10 Version will be having all this safety feature/Split Seat/Alloy etc which we are missing with 1 laks extra cost.
Only ABS and Airbags are missing. It has split middle row and alloys in 8 Seater version.

IMO though these two things should be an essential part of any top end variant, still the best thing about Xylo remains to be the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Hi Raj, Good comparison and appreciate your effort, should definitely help potential buyers, Even though I never considered Xylo earlier, I am more interested in the vehicle now

But what is surprising is some of the so called experts passing judgement without even going through the specs or even without doing a TD giving lectures about handling problems.
Yes, I agree Jp1. However, since its a public forum and without such judgments/lectures, everyone would not gain as much as its gained when someone answers them. Ultimately, it benefits the community you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Great job, Raj!
Puts things in perspective. The Xylo, at almost 1.8 lacs cheaper than the comparable Innova, begins to look very very attractive indeed! Surely this kind of price differential will ease the pain of the extra maintenance and upkeep money that the Xylo might ask for! Do you suppose the price difference will still remain meaningful at the end of, say, 200,000 kms or 4 years of usage?
Anup, IMO, considering the reliability we have seen in the Scorpio and what I have experienced in my Xylo, it does not seem to be going anywhere before 200k on the odo or even more for that matter. Therefore, that 1.8 lacs you save is your saving in every sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Whats funny is for the naked eye from outside, Xylo looks more compact than innova, Especially at the rear end
But from some of the posts i can sense that Xylo has broader rear seats!!
Makes me wonder.. intelligent space management huh !!

I agree about quality aspects, but at this time of recession, i am kind of having this cheaper the better opinion

And M&M may not match the quality aspects of a toyota.. but than i dont think its that bad either(they must have definitely put the feedbacks from Scorpio for good use)

Sure Raj, the quality is better then what we see in the Scorpio. Its only when we compare it to the top end Innova that we feel the difference and thats what I have compared it to in my review. I have had the innova and by far, I feel the Xylo should be atleast 90% as reliable as the Innova.

Quote:
the innova does have those silly flat bed things. but IMO its barely ever used. the individual reading lamps are a nice feature but again IMO they arent used very much. in the innovas defence it has bottle holders for all the passengers
Akshay, it has bottle holders for middle and third row plus glass holders for all the three rows. Pluss all four doors have bottle holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Considering the 1.8 L difference, xylo feels a logical choice.. but is there a major difference in Quality? like engine refined ness, gearbox, Fit and Finish, suspension.
I mean would the buyer think, after buying Xylo, that he should have spent the1.8L and bought the Innova.
I did not think that and might not ever!

Guys, I might sound a bit biased since I have already purchased it. But trust me, the review is totaly what I have seen and felt in the vehicle till now.

Cheers!
Old 12th February 2009, 14:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

The innova has the airbags and ABS only in the V variant which accounts for a very small fraction of the sales. Moreover like I mentioned earlier the V variant costs almost 4.5L over the Xylo's E8 variant.

Majority of the buyers go for the G4 Innova which does not have ABS and airbags. It costs 2L more than the Xylo E8.

When you compare the Xylo with the Innova with the equivalent variant the Xylo is a clear winner in terms of features and VFM.
Old 12th February 2009, 14:58   #24
jp1
BHPian

Hi Vinay, happened to see your review on the other thread, excellent. I dont think anybody else on this forum has given such a detailed first hand info. Appreciate spending your time to educate all of us. Really surprise on the mileage 17kms/litre Being a modified scorpio engine in Xylo I never thought it will give that kind of mileage. It is a clear winner for Mahindra, no doubt. The pricing, mileage, first class interior space utilization, ruggedness/safety and mahindra's reliability (hope it will continue to be the same as in their other vehicles), what more one can ask for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Guys Guys! I would suggest you just read this Review and I hope most of the doubts will get cleared.

Cheers!
Old 12th February 2009, 15:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Not having driven the Xylo myself, but having driven enough and more of the Innova, if the Xylo offers even 60-70% of the car-like driving characteristics of the Innova, its arrived. Even otherwise, the Xylo should be on the buyer's radar simply due to its cheaper pricing.
Old 12th February 2009, 18:15   #26
BHPian

Xylo 4WD - how probable is this variant?

Given Xylo’s higher GC (and slightly higher torque), 4WD should give Xylo definitive advantage over Innova.
Old 12th February 2009, 18:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_now View Post
Given Xylo’s higher GC (and slightly higher torque), 4WD should give Xylo definitive advantage over Innova.
Try selling that idea to M&M!
They seem to have forsaken their 'roots' when it comes to 4WD options on their vehicles. Not even offered on mHawk yet!
Old 12th February 2009, 19:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
May be E10 Version will be having all this safety feature/Split Seat/Alloy etc which we are missing with 1 laks extra cost.
the xylo E8 does have split seats & alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Hi Raj, Good comparison and appreciate your effort, should definitely help potential buyers, Even though I never considered Xylo earlier, I am more interested in the vehicle now

But what is surprising is some of the so called experts passing judgement without even going through the specs or even without doing a TD giving lectures about handling problems.
thanks jp.
the so called experts feel that if a vehicle 'looks' bad, it probably is bad! after a few TD reports of the xylo on this forum, i can see a change of perception about the xylo on this very forum, where it was bashed up black and blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nice comparison Raj. The top end Xylo also has the "flat bed" option for the front seats which the Innova doesn't. And, IIRC, individual reading lamps for all the passengers (again something the Innova doesn't have).
thanks suman.
the innova has the flat bed option but no individual lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Great job, Raj!
Puts things in perspective. The Xylo, at almost 1.8 lacs cheaper than the comparable Innova, begins to look very very attractive indeed! Surely this kind of price differential will ease the pain of the extra maintenance and upkeep money that the Xylo might ask for! Do you suppose the price difference will still remain meaningful at the end of, say, 200,000 kms or 4 years of usage?
maintainence?? i feel even if the xylo gives more marginally maintainence issues than the innova, it would still win as mahindra's spares, service cost & labour charges are way cheaper than toyota's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

the xylo plastic quality is not at all bad. it is way better than the grande & tavera. its just that if toyota's plastic is great, xylo's is good.

Quote:
xylo has cupholders for every individual, including third row. even the third row has THREE armrests - centre of seat & on both sides!

and as suman said, the trays are a unique feature. no offence meant akshay, i am myself a innova owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
xylo's engine is more refined & powerful, innova's gearbox is much better.
fit & finish of innova is great again, xylo's is good!!
innova offers a more comfortable ride but innova's suspension bottoms easily with load, that means less comfort with full load of passengers. xylo does not have that problem.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
maintainence?? i feel even if the xylo gives more marginally maintainence issues than the innova, it would still win as mahindra's spares, service cost & labour charges are way cheaper than toyota's.
I'd tend to agree there, seeing that fleet/taxi operators do not assign much premium to Toyota vehicles vs M&M vehicles!
Old 12th February 2009, 21:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

I expect the E10 to come with an A/T option as well. And honestly, now that I've had enough close contact with this new car, all I can say is the build quality might be - infact, IS - utter rubbish, but if that isn't a deal breaker then there's no longer any reason to get an Innova over a Xylo. Thats all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks