Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

skoda yeti officially revealed

Skoda unveils rugged Yeti MPV
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Though it looks pretty toned down from the original concept, it does not look bad either. If Skoda were indeed to launch it at about 10l, I am game for that. But, knowing Skoda, I do not have much hopes on this one being priced in that range.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:41   #48
BHPian

Nice - small and cute - I like the boxy look too - price is tempting (if reallay 10L) - but reading about Skoda service stories of late - it will be no no for me. Sorry Skoda
Old 20th April 2009, 15:59   #49
BHPian

going by Skodas "brand image" here I dont think the yeti will go for 10 lakhs. They will selll it as a "premium" MPV
Old 4th May 2009, 17:28   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This Skoda Yeti looks like a good vehicle. a 4x4 and quite "city-sized" in terms of proportion. It should sit somewhere between the Ford Fusion and the Hyundai Tucson I guess.

Pricing I understand would be around 11 lacs - but with all taxes etc I am sure it will go to 14 ish for the 2 litre Diesel Version top end with 168 BHP or whatever they are planning to offer. The base versions apparently will come with petrol engines but those are simply part of the line-up and I dont think much will happen there.

However, if one is used to vehicles like the Scorpio etc, this will be a bit small. And it says clearly in an article I read recently that the boot of this Yeti has 1760 litres of space but with the rear seats removed - thats really not saying much, is it?

I am sure this will end up more of a Lifestyle Statement used as a second or third vehicle by the really well heeled people here.

For utility oriented people like most of us, I guess it would make better sense to see what price the Toyota Fortuner comes at. Or by then if Mitsubishi introduces a Diesel Outlander at a reasonable price maybe? Or perhaps if GM Chevrolet re-launches the Forester AWD with a Diesel Powerplant from ISUZU or some other group company, positioning it to take on the Fusion!

What is really needed here in India is a good quality, solid, diesel driven SUV/MUV with 4WD and the "hygiene level" bells and whistles plus safety, driveability, small/ medium proportions, comfort and space, but within the price range of around 4-6 lacs Max On Road.

That little Suzuki Vitara and/ or the Suzuki Samurai and/or the Suzuki Jimmy/Jimny would really fit the bill here albeit with the same or similar Diesel engine as does duty in the Swift Diesel version.

(The more I think about it, I am wondering why the Fusion Diesel simply hasnt taken off yet despite having so many clear advantages in it - I remember thinking when they launched the Fusion in 2005, that I would love to buy that vehicle, but in a Diesel Avatar and all importantly, at a "reasonable price". Possibly the price is the main deterrent in case of Fusion.)

The Yeti may well fit the bill as above described, but will still be positioned the way the Fabia is and will thus become a "Premium MPV".

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th May 2009 at 17:44.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:43   #51
BHPian

Source : Skoda's Yeti gets going!- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Skoda's Yeti gets going!

The Yeti which was unveiled to the world media at the Geneva Motor Show this March, is Skoda's fifth model in its portfolio and the first production More Pictures models began rolling off the assembly line at Skoda's Kvasiny plant in the Czech Republic.

The Yeti is a butch lil' number and will be offered in both front wheel drive and all wheel drive versions when it goes on sale in India. Having very compact proportions (built on a 2578mm wheelbase with 4233mm length, 1793mm width and 1691mm height) this could be a car which was sorely needed in the Indian market and judging by the way Skoda has priced its wares, expect the Yeti to be introduced in the country with at a price point around Rs 10-11 lakhs. Contemporary crossover and pseudo-SUVs at this price point are virtually non-existent in the Indian market and Skoda could just be on the money with such an offering.

The Yeti is being offered with both petrol and diesel propulsion and one expects the India versions to feature the 2.0-litre TDI for sure. However what will determine the success for this vehicle is its ability to tackle the rough with the smooth and here its 180mm ground clearance coupled to its ideal angles of arrival and departure will make it a mean performer on our terrain. With its nimble car-like controls and handling ability plus its most versatile interior packed with its VarioFlex seating system, the Yeti could be the ideal single vehicle for a family for both work and play. In fact with the rear seats folded flat, the Yeti offers a massive 1760-litres of luggage space.
One of the key aspects of the 4x4 versions of the Yeti will be a feature mostly found on very high SUVs. I am referring to the downhill assistant, a feature which enables drivers to tackle steep slopes, especially when motoring downhill, in complete control without working up a sweat.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:35   #52
BANNED

this article appeared in this morning's Times of India - supplement.
Good news for us I guess
But I do believe this will end up being pricey.
and one may need to compare this with for example the new full size SUV from Mahindra etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnieboy View Post
Source : Skoda's Yeti gets going!- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Skoda's Yeti gets going!

The Yeti which was unveiled to the world media at the Geneva Motor Show this March, is Skoda's fifth model in its portfolio and the first production More Pictures models began rolling off the assembly line at Skoda's Kvasiny plant in the Czech Republic.

The Yeti is a butch lil' number and will be offered in both front wheel drive and all wheel drive versions when it goes on sale in India. Having very compact proportions (built on a 2578mm wheelbase with 4233mm length, 1793mm width and 1691mm height) this could be a car which was sorely needed in the Indian market and judging by the way Skoda has priced its wares, expect the Yeti to be introduced in the country with at a price point around Rs 10-11 lakhs. Contemporary crossover and pseudo-SUVs at this price point are virtually non-existent in the Indian market and Skoda could just be on the money with such an offering.

The Yeti is being offered with both petrol and diesel propulsion and one expects the India versions to feature the 2.0-litre TDI for sure. However what will determine the success for this vehicle is its ability to tackle the rough with the smooth and here its 180mm ground clearance coupled to its ideal angles of arrival and departure will make it a mean performer on our terrain. With its nimble car-like controls and handling ability plus its most versatile interior packed with its VarioFlex seating system, the Yeti could be the ideal single vehicle for a family for both work and play. In fact with the rear seats folded flat, the Yeti offers a massive 1760-litres of luggage space.
One of the key aspects of the 4x4 versions of the Yeti will be a feature mostly found on very high SUVs. I am referring to the downhill assistant, a feature which enables drivers to tackle steep slopes, especially when motoring downhill, in complete control without working up a sweat.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:55   #53
oss
BHPian

If they price it around 10L and bring it out with these mills, then i will buy it for sure, service issues not withstanding.
  • 2.0l TDI CR with 110bhp (81kW) - front-wheel drive and 4x4
  • 2.0l TDI CR with 140bhp (103kW) - 4x4
But i am sure they will plonk the noisy PD engine in the Indian version

Any inside info on when we can expect this on Indian roads?
Old 21st May 2009, 14:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

I do not think this can be termed as a SUV. This is move like a MUV, or what ever, similar to Fusion.

But frankly, the first impression on looking at the photos posted, was that of a Hearse! :(

Regardless, even if they have a dream vehicle here, and at this price, their A.S.S will certainly over-ride any benefit that is there. Guess the ill-informed might jump at it.

EDIT: With 4x4 and downhill assist, it certainly is a dream. If only Skoda did not have such as A.S.S (!!!)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 21st May 2009 at 14:23.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:43   #55
BANNED

it s like a Crossover/ Multi Activity Vehicle - Pseudo/Quasi SUV/ Lifestyle Station Wagon/Hatchback.
Yes youre right - it can best be compared to the Fusion or the erstwhile Forester (in the indian market).

The thing is, when they bring it in with a good powerful (even though noisy) diesel plus 4WD, with hill descent etc, one cant reasonably expect this vehicle to be priced anywhere this side of 14 lacs. which places it somewhere between the upper end Scorpio/Safari etc and the lower end Tucson, Fortuner, Captiva,OUtlander, CRV etc.

I like this car and would like to consider it - but I have a feeling that the price will be more than I can afford to pay.
the rumour is that this vehicle could come in late this year or early next year. worth checking it out im sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I do not think this can be termed as a SUV. This is move like a MUV, or what ever, similar to Fusion.
EDIT: With 4x4 and downhill assist, it certainly is a dream. If only Skoda did not have such as A.S.S (!!!)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st May 2009 at 17:44.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:37   #56
BHPian

Just while browsing through some pictures I came across this bit. Seems like they are gonna hit Indian shores too bang on time. Had heard they plan to launch yeti in India at the Auto Expo 2010. By the looks of they might just do that.

MASS PRODUCTION OF SKODA YETI LAUNCHED | Auto-Media.Info
Old 18th June 2009, 22:03   #57
BHPian

As much as i like the Yeti, skoda's A.S.S. and my loyalty towards t-bhp might weigh down my decision to buy it whenever it does get launched in India.
Must say it is a very cute n cuddly little mini SUV.

Last edited by luky_13 : 18th June 2009 at 22:16.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

the Yeti should be here, the reason being the introduction of a lifestyle vehicle. the others which are already here are total crap and are far better from good looks, style. but the price as mentioned is a bit too high but i think skoda will reconsider the fact and introduce it with a competitive price just like the fabia.
Old 19th June 2009, 14:35   #59
BANNED

very buy-able vehicle in my opinion. notwithstanding all other views on this, I think its worth considering - plus of course, worth doing some homework on the After Sales bit
Old 19th June 2009, 14:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Sam Kapasi? That'll be one wierd ride.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks