Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 21:59   #1201
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

It seems someone got huge inspirations from the ACURA MDX model and just fused it with the famous tooth grill of Mahindra's. But still it seems to be a PS job.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-2007acuramdxshawdfrontview588x441.jpg
Old 12th July 2011, 22:32   #1202
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Spy Pics on Page 50! More pics on p

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Can anyone tell me what is this..? My friend sent me this on FB

Is this the Real W201 or is it some modified SUV..?

If this is the REAL W201... Then

1) The Grille is out of place
2) The Bumpers- my tinker can fabricate a better design.
3) The LED's look like an aftermarket addition.
4) The Hood lines are terrible and old school
5) The ORVM's are tooo Puny

And. if its not the real W201, Please forgive me for my findings AND I dont want an infraction for this
Not sure if this has been mentioned before - The hood looks like a rip-off from 2012 ford explorer. In fact I like the hood/bumper design in ford explorer.

As for the rest, it seems like each of them have been lifted from somewhere else. It either seems like an amateur PS job or a modified mahindra grill put on a chinese suv.

Last edited by gshanky : 12th July 2011 at 22:35.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:10   #1203
AVR
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Spy Pics on Page 50! More pics on p

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before - The hood looks like a rip-off from 2012 ford explorer. In fact I like the hood/bumper design in ford explorer.

As for the rest, it seems like each of them have been lifted from somewhere else. It either seems like an amateur PS job or a modified mahindra grill put on a chinese suv.
Hopefully a global SUV doesn't mean influenced by all global automotive brands . Funnily a camoflauged W201 looks better for its profile and now, what it conceals.

More importantly, post-Aria and Kizashi, up-moves by our local companies like MM, Force are something I am looking forward to. Its interesting how our perspectives also vary as when a Fortuner @22L comes with Innova-esque interiors people just think they could be better but when an Aria made an honest attempt at better interiors and arguably much better than Fortuner, we still find it a reason to nit-pick.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:36   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

There seems to be something hiding the design below in bumper. Some black thing which is coming out a little too much even over the wheel archs.. see here:

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mm2.jpg

So thought of removing it, to see how would that look and along goes the original design (possibly designer Fog lamps) in the bumper. Sorry guys I'm very bad at PS just know that there is a stamp tool.. and since i did it I'll share it..

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mm3.jpg

The other black strip should also go and below that just body colored bumper with embosed design..

Afterthought: The headlights resemble those of Grand Vitara a lot..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 13th July 2011 at 00:51.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:37   #1205
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a very fair comment and I commend you for the same. It is indeed interesting how certain mindsets sometimes get set in stone - regardless of how rational and intelligent one may otherwise be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Its interesting how our perspectives also vary as when a Fortuner @22L comes with Innova-esque interiors people just think they could be better but when an Aria made an honest attempt at better interiors and arguably much better than Fortuner, we still find it a reason to nit-pick.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:22   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
ry as when a Fortuner @22L comes with Innova-esque interiors people just think they could be better but when an Aria made an honest attempt at better interiors and arguably much better than Fortuner, we still find it a reason to nit-pick.
So very true!

Ingrained biases and prejudices cloud objective thinking and giving credit where due. TML's ownership of JLR was scoffed at when it happened. Very few people thought of the positives that would come TML's way from this acquisition. Similarly while M&M's current project may not be the world beater the company would want it to be, as @shankar.balan had said after his preview in response to my query to him, it is a quantum leap over what the Indian companies have done till date.

Given his statement I wonder where is the urgency to condemn the effort on the basis of some purported picture of the end result. Why not wait till it is known what the final end product is and then announce the verdict?
Old 13th July 2011, 08:40   #1207
Senior - BHPian

People don't buy the Fortuner for the interiors. People buy the Fortuner in spite of the interiors and its other weaknesses because of its strengths.

Too many people nitpick over minor things, whether it a Fortuner or an Aria or the new Mahindra SUV.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th July 2011 at 08:45.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:08   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this is a very fair comment and I commend you for the same. It is indeed interesting how certain mindsets sometimes get set in stone - regardless of how rational and intelligent one may otherwise be.
True man. We Indians have HUGE prejudices when it some to cars and car brands. Take for e.g. our beloved Corolla Altis. If you sit in it, there is nothing in the car's interiors that will give you a feeling of luxury.Each and every part and material used has 'mediocrity' written all, over it. Yet, we never fail to praise the 'Toyota Quality'? I think that its interior quality is at least one generation behind it much older Euro rivals (Jetta/Laura). But it doesn't seem to get much bashing, does it?

I recently sat in T-Jet and found the interiors to be acceptable by all standards. Certainly not worthy of the flak that it usually receives. I don't think that its interiors are any worse than ANHC's interiors but it tends to receive bashing at every possible occasion. At times bu users who have never used the car or have in depth knowledge either. Its just their 'perception of reality'?

Its just the way we think.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th July 2011 at 11:13.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:52   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
More importantly, post-Aria and Kizashi, up-moves by our local companies like MM, Force are something I am looking forward to. Its interesting how our perspectives also vary as when a Fortuner @22L comes with Innova-esque interiors people just think they could be better but when an Aria made an honest attempt at better interiors and arguably much better than Fortuner, we still find it a reason to nit-pick.
This is called growing pains. I guess it is safe to say that in India, Indians think of Toyota and Honda as premium brands and the local brands like M&M, TML, Force, etc. to be inferior.

However in the brand building exercise, Toyota has Lexus and Honda has Acura. It will not be easy for TML, M&M etc. to break the perceptions and be successful in higher price points (say >= 15 Lakhs). The right way to beat the perception is to roll out one quality product after another and companies like TML, M&M, etc. are on the right track.

On the topic of the w201 image - I believe it is fake and a shoddy PS job at that. No point in wasting more posts over this.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:09   #1210
BHPian

This for sure is a M&M W201 variant. Might not be the final version but it certainly seems to be one of the versions.

A close look at the rear reveals the vertical lift up handles (which has been a W201 trademark on all test mules). Also, the slightly out of line grill vs the headlights is also visible in the earlier camafoulaged pics of the test mule.

Like Shankar said this is scoop-ish. Might not be "the W201" but certainly is one of the W201s
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-w201edit.jpg  

Old 13th July 2011, 12:24   #1211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

fact is guys, all of us are in some way "judgemental" including myself. in general we all love to play the role of the armchair critic - whether the criticisms concern politics, books, sports, movies and/ or cars etc. Thats a generic trait in us indians and certainly in human beings overall to some extent.

thing is that when one is called upon to spend large bucks then one starts looking critically at every possible thing, in that search for the perfect car.

I guess it is a relative thing - one can be critical of an M&M or Tata here today because these are the vehicles in ones consideration set. Equally a top shot honcho in the UK could be as critical of the Aston Martin that he may be considering.

But it is true that we tend to fob off our own Indian manufacturers as being inferior to the foreign ones - possibly on account of our long standing "phoren" hangover from the protectionist economy days.

And it is also true that our chaps can certainly pay more attention to quality of fit and finish than they currently do.

This fact must be borne in mind when viewing the criticisms that keep coming up now and then. Constructive criticism is great but there's a fine line (which most of us tend to cross) between being constructive and getting personal!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th July 2011 at 12:29.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:21   #1212
BHPian

M&M has called the dealers to Barcelona on 15-16th of this month! Could be disclose of W201 or a world launch! Conform new from insider is that the cars would be seen on road by Diwali surely.

Pricing will be atleast a lakh above the top model of Scorpio.

mHawk 2.2 Ltr Engine conformed
Bhp not sure ( between 135-150)
No news on auto transmission

About the interiors, fortuner or even Pajero for that matter has worst interiors than this. What we should look at is the seat comforts which the Pajero gives and Fortuner lacks.

U can spend 30-50 K and get the entire custom interior, so atleast for me thats least of my concern!

I drive the car myself and 70% of the times its only me in the car of someone besides me. Its rarely that the middle seats or rear seats go occupied, so leg room for the front seat is more of my concern rather than the leg room of someone sitting in the middle. The ride quality, the power, the feel of the beast and the surge of the testosterone is what I look at when i ride out my scorpio.

Last edited by moleculez : 13th July 2011 at 14:24.
moleculez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:53   #1213
Senior - BHPian

that photo from the facebook is a fake one.

just few people trying to get attention.

im seriously expecting a good SUV from M&M priced above scorpio and safari, and below the 20L fortuner, crv an 20 year old pajero!

the real volume market is around 15-20L bracket, thats where the next 2 years will heat up the market.

Last edited by Parm : 13th July 2011 at 15:54.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:30   #1214
Senior - BHPian

They all look the same. Streamlining, to reduce air resistance, to boost fuel average has led to Honda CRV, Pajero Sport, Maruti G.V.....now Mahindra W201.034299++ .... all looking the same.

Here is my idea of a man's SUV. Dodge Power Wagon circa 1940's to the 1960's. Ground clearance. Easy access to tyres and wheels. Deep trekking size.

Heavy sigh.....
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-dodge-power-wagon.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:01   #1215
BHPian

are we seriously look this on indian roads and nice design if M&M can deliver it to us. Sure this is gonna rock every one
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks