Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 23:58   #1576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
ADVICE NEEDED

The Jia Auto man calls me today and says that he can sand off the entire paint, apply the base coat again and paint the car. However, he suggests that instead of doing that, he`ll just put on a fresh coat since that will be more durable.

Any truth in that or are they upto cheap tricks again?

Would be grateful for advice since work on my car is stuck till I confirm what I want.
There are 3 advantages to stripping a car down to base metal before painting.
1. you can check for rust etc..
2. you control how the surface is prepared for the paint better (when repainting you in any case need to sand the old paint and apply primer and sand the primer to help the new paint adhere better)
3. you not at the mercy of the state of the existing finish. if for example the existing finish is cracked or pealing then your new paint will not adhere well and will also develop cracks after a few months. One of my neighbours had a purple zen with cracked paint that he over-painted black. The results we palin to see.

the disadvantages
1. more time taken
2. more cost as there is more labour and materials used.

I am now getting the dirty feeling that this JIA guy has no idea what is required for a good paint job. I would suggest you taking your car elsewhere before he really messes it. If a garage does not have good intentions the garage cannot/wont deliver the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
There was no representation from Nummer Eins and JMD Auto. No lawyers, no representative.
Why JMD. Wasnt it Nummer Eins who used fake parts?

The buzards. Just becasue they are not suffering the cost of the EMIs they dont care how long the case drags on! Skoda Do something!
Old 28th April 2009, 00:06   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why JMD. Wasnt it Nummer Eins who used fake parts?
JMD is opponent no 3 in the case since they have the car and they replaced the spurious parts. A technicality.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:12   #1578
Team-BHP Support

I thought JMD replaced the spurious parts becuase you had asked Skoda to help and they instructed JMD to do the needful.

It does not change the fact that because of the action of it's dealers you are paying EMIs on a car and are unable to use it for 14 months and counting. It still does not absolve Skoda of it's inaction in this case.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:18   #1579
BHPian

I think Skoda should pack up and go home!
Old 28th April 2009, 00:26   #1580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
I think Skoda should pack up and go home!
How will that help Harish and other Skoda customers?

Tomorrow we might ask Honda to pack up and go home. Who next? Toyota? Before you know it we'll be back to having the choice of a Maruti or Ambassador (now that PAL is defunct).

As per my very recent experiences with Autobahn (see Indian Car Dealerships) there seems to be a few rays of hope. Still Skoda and it's dealers have a long way to go to restoring the faith lost.

Last edited by navin : 28th April 2009 at 00:28.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:27   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
ADVICE NEEDED

The Jia Auto man calls me today and says that he can sand off the entire paint, apply the base coat again and paint the car. However, he suggests that instead of doing that, he`ll just put on a fresh coat since that will be more durable.

Any truth in that or are they upto cheap tricks again?

Would be grateful for advice since work on my car is stuck till I confirm what I want.
Evo, that's hogwash what Jiah auto is claiming - even the roadside mechanic knows better. The layers in painting are 'primer', 'base coat', 'clear coat' (and for pearl finish, there is another coat I believe). Please note the colour comes from the base coat because the 'clear' coat is transparent and meant to protect the base coat and provide gloss.
If they sand the base coat out with the right grain sand paper and some expertise, then the primer should be intact. If the primer gets removed at one or two spots, then they need to apply a primer coat there, before proceeding. I don't see anything out of ordinary here...

Cheers,
Old 28th April 2009, 00:29   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
I thought JMD replaced the spurious parts becuase you had asked Skoda to help and they instructed JMD to do the needful.
Thats absolutely correct. They did so under instructions from Skoda
Old 28th April 2009, 00:30   #1583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
and for pearl finish, there is another coat I believe
I think all they do is put an additive in the clear coat.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:35   #1584
BANNED

Navinji, you feel right. the dealer is a bumbling idiot. he is giving Evo 2 choices:
1. get the car painted over the yellow and blue [and see multiple colors appear under every scratch]
2. accept a shoddy refinish job for which the dealer will not be responsible [he after all 'warned' Evo about the reliability aspect, didnt he?]

Evo has already paid through his nose for the full repaint. by taking the car somewhere else, he will be spending double for the dealer's incompetence while the dealer is laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote:
I am now getting the dirty feeling that this JIA guy has no idea what is required for a good paint job. I would suggest you taking your car elsewhere before he really messes it. If a garage does not have good intentions the garage cannot/wont deliver the goods.
Old 28th April 2009, 00:41   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I think Sai Colorium guys told me that there is a 'lacquer' coat or whatever for pearl finish and this is the most expensive finish in a paint system. Dupont for eg. has a 3 wet on wet coat system for pearl finish...

In terms of cost, Solid colors < Acrylic < Pearl Finish
Old 28th April 2009, 07:52   #1586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Navinji, you feel right. the dealer is a bumbling idiot.
1. get the car painted over the yellow and blue
2. accept a shoddy refinish job

Evo has already paid through his nose for the full repaint.
I agree on all counts. My suggestion was becuase
1. Evo should have the car done to his satisfaction and it is apparent that this dealer does not intend to and is incapable of doing this.
2. I dont know waht Evo has paid for the repaint but I am just trying to cut EVOs losses.

The dealer obviously does not want to strip the car to bare metal, does not want to use primer between the old paint and new paint, and then claims that the paint job will be shoddy even before he attempts to do good work is a waste of time in my book.

Evo, you car can be painted with or without removing all of the yellow paint. I suggest full removal (either via chemicals or by sanding or if the paint shop has the facilties by media blast) but if that is too expensive they need to properly sand the yellow, then apply primer, sand the dry primer, and then apply the blue and clear coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well, I think Sai Colorium guys told me that there is a 'lacquer' coat or whatever for pearl finish and this is the most expensive finish in a paint system.
You must be right. I am not a painting expert. I remember one of my friends adding gold flakes to the clear coat to give this rather shinny finish so assumed the same might be true for the pearl finish too.
Old 28th April 2009, 08:03   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

@MODS: Evo's issues is not i line with the thread. Can posts relating to his issue moved to another thread?

@Evo: You would be better off discussing your problem and solution in a new thread.

Re: The Topic here:

Skoda is back to square one and respect, if any, earned by atleast taking a small step of meeting with the forum Mods is ground to dust. OR was it a ploy to meet and then involve them in this/another case as co-respondents??
Old 28th April 2009, 09:11   #1588
BHPian

surprisingly there are 5 people who voted "no" on the poll on this thread wonder what their thoughts are!
Old 28th April 2009, 09:32   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO Pearl finish is a inherent property of that paint shade - based on the Raw materials used for preparation of that shade.

If you use a Du-Pont / Deltron refinish system the final shade will be achieved by a mixture of various shades and tinters.

If some of the shades used for avhieving the final shade has a pearl finish / effect the final shade will also show some pear finish.

EDIT: I agree with Sudev that EVO problem of Repainting would be better off discussed on another thread.

Last edited by kingshukt : 28th April 2009 at 09:39.
Old 28th April 2009, 09:46   #1590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@MODS: Evo's issues is not i line with the thread. Can posts relating to his issue moved to another thread?

Skoda is back to square one and respect, if any, earned by atleast taking a small step of meeting with the forum Mods is ground to dust. OR was it a ploy to meet and then involve them in this/another case as co-respondents??
Agreed. It is just that I could not find Evo's thread. Evo has a thread on this right? I remember posting there unless it is just my senility kicking in.

Yes Skoda so far has just talked the talk however in all fairness unless more users use Skoda's services we wont get adequate feedback to see if Skoda is actually walking the walk too.

Personally I would love to see Skoda atleast address the problems diffsoft, harish, evo etc.. are having. Evo have you contacted Skoda about this issue? After all JIA is a Skoda dealer. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
surprisingly there are 5 people who voted "no" on the poll on this thread wonder what their thoughts are!
Atleast one member said that it was an accident.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks