Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 16:35   #226
BHPian

I told you guys it was a mini Innova!

Huge wind shield, thats the only thing I like about it.
I notice in the picture, no fogs, ugly wheels and doesn't the guy in the backseat look cramped?

Quote:
so essentially what you get is the same car minus boot + more power ful engine + safety features .
Whats so powerful about the engine? 1.2l for 8.4 otr is a scam
Old 27th May 2009, 20:19   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I would rather wait for the Volkswagon Polo or Polo GTI. If all falls in place and if they keep the promise of launching the version as mentioned then it will be the best buy in this segment,
I agree with you there. With the Blue motion diesel and/or the 100+ bhp 1.2 TSI engine, even at a price of close to 8 lakhs, the Polo is a much better buy. It will wallop the Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
come to think of it
the NHC - IDSI used to sell in the 7-8 lakhs range

this iteration of JAZZ should definetly have the same interior space as the NHC since the platform is the same.

so essentially what you get is the same car minus boot + more power ful engine + safety features .

probably this is what HONDA was thinking while fixing the pricing.

but they need to be cognisant of the competition too
Narayan, your logic goes some way to explain what Honda may have been thinking but two things they forgot - The NHC had a boot and the DSI engine was very fuel efficient. I personally doubt the 1.2 VTEC will be as fuel efficient. It may come close but intrinsically I think i-DSI tech is more efficient than i-VTEC. Also I bought my NHC for 7.2L on road in 05. What we are hearing about the Jazz is more than that!
This makes the i20 seem like such a steal.
Old 28th May 2009, 00:07   #228
BHPian

Lets get behind the minds of Honda Market Research & Sales Teams for finding the reasons for atrocious pricing of Jazz (7.5 L Ex-Showroom )

Price of Honda City ZX EXI (The earlier base model Honda city when it was available) : 7 L Ex-showroom

Additional features Honda is providing in Jazz above the City ZX:
1. ABS
2. Driver + Passenger Airbags
3. Rear wash + Wiper
4. Rear Defogger
5. Immobilizer
6. Two Din Music system
7. Steering Wheel mounted Music control.

Cost of adding all the Above ~ 1 L - Discount due to 1.2 L engine (Excise benefit) 50 K = 50 K Net diff.
So Jazz Price = City ZX EXI Price + 50 K = 7.5 L

Hopefully this time around Indian people should refuse to buy Jazz (hoping against hope) and give Honda a reality shock. Jago India Jago !!
Old 28th May 2009, 02:36   #229
BHPian

Well, in the US Jazz costs $15,750 for the base model with Auto shift. Taxes and all, this model would be ~ $17,000. At today's exchange rate, that translates to 8.15 Lakhs.
Old 28th May 2009, 02:44   #230
Senior - BHPian

@mayavi

it comes with 1.5 L developing 117 horsepower @6600 rpm.

the one in India comes with 1.2 L.

USA spec jazz is more equipped than India bound jazz.

Hope you get the drift
Old 28th May 2009, 02:53   #231
Senior - BHPian

Popular Options available at around 8.5 lakhs:

City,FiestaS,Optra,VernaSX
Scorpio,Innova,Safari

First of all I don't see any reason why anyone will choose a Jazz over the City if Jazz is to be retailed for 8.5 lakhs of rupees.

Secondly, there are many options available at this price range.
While innova is a proper MPV (jazz just looks like one), Scorpio and Safari too can be counted in the picture. With innova available with petrol mill as well.

Performance lovers can go the FiestaS way, iVtec or no iVtec, nothing comes close to the fun provided by fiesta's motor. Oh and let us not talk about the handling.

Optra though old, still makes quite a case for itself as a budget luxury sedan with a hint of sportiness as well.Has both petrol and diesel variants. Loads of features too.

Verna has diesel and auto option as well and has decent space.

The immediate rivals like Fabia and i20 are cheaper by more than 1.5 lakhs.
Also, Honda's A.S.S. though not as notorious as skoda's, are nothing to write home about either.

Seems like success of overpriced city seems to have taken the better of Honda. Though city is a good car even at that price, this mini MPV that shares the platform with the City is nowhere close to city atleast in engine department.

It would had been a bit understandable if it had the city's 116 bhp mill but a 90bhp 1.2!? Tax benefits? Benefits for whom? Only the manufacturer!!

You got it all wrong Honda, with that kind of price, I don't see a very long que for this car.
Old 28th May 2009, 09:28   #232
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Popular Options available at around 8.5 lakhs:

City,FiestaS,Optra,VernaSX
Scorpio,Innova,Safari
Going by the reviews on TBHP, can we add Linea to the list?

I do not know who in his right presence of mind would even consider a Jazz at that price .
Old 28th May 2009, 09:32   #233
BHPian

Siel Cars India president and CEO Masahiro Takedagawa has been managing activities of the Honda group in India and Asia Oceania region for the past three-and-a-half years. Mr Takedagawa outlines Honda’s plans for India and the launch of the premium small car, Jazz.

What technology do you plan to bring with the Jazz?

First of all, Jazz is a sister car of the City that was very well received in the Indian market. The platform of the cars is almost same. However, driveability of Jazz will be different. It will be very sporty. In terms of utility, it offers plenty of legroom and cargo space.

There has been much experimentation with the styling of the Jazz. Will there be many variants of the car?

There will be only one variant initially. It is a different car and will set new standards for the hatchback segment. It’s a shift from our policy for the City and the Civic. Of course, there will be many options for colours. This is to minimise the level of stocks which dealers or suppliers have to keep for several variants.

What is the progress on the diesel version of the City and the Jazz for the Asian market?

We have around 400 engineers, who are free from F-1 activities to develop small diesel engine, power train as well as next generation hybrid engines. As already announced, a small diesel engine project has been kicked off. We are working on different engine sizes and development could take 2-3 years.

What would be your strategy to ensure stable demand for the Jazz?

The market has changed due to the economic slowdown and the depreciation of the rupee. We are achieving above 70% of localisation. The components used in the Jazz are same as in the City. However, the Jazz will benefit from the lower excise duty allowed on small cars. Jazz will give the best fuel efficiency in that segment. We will target those customers who appreciate the drive. Indian customers are smart buyers and they appreciate the value given by Honda.

How are you revamping your distribution and after sales network, particularly outside the

As much as 50% of Honda Siel market is in the NCR and Mumbai. We have 106 dealerships now, compared to 55 when I had joined Honda. We are willing to expand our network in the tier-two and three cities. Also, we plan to start 10 more dealerships this year. We are focusing on the service network since the quality cannot be assured in local service centres.

Honda’s experience with hybrid was mixed. What is the future of hybrid?

We do not regret launching the car (Civic Hybrid) in India. We want the Indian customer to get the experience of the technology; we sold 300 units which is substantial. I was happy to say that once the price of the car was slashed to Rs 13 lakh, over 250 cars were sold in just four days. Bringing a hybrid version as a completely built unit attracts very high import duties. We do not plan to bring in any hybrid car in the near term.

You have postponed work at the Rajasthan plant. The level of localisation at the Greater Noida plant is not high. What is your plan for the next fiscal?

We were able to stop investment at the right time. The body panel and power train will be supplied to Greater Noida from Rajasthan. Several suppliers have set up their shops at Tapukara, Rajasthan. We will first raise capacity of Greater Noida to one lakh units per year. The City is doing well in the Indian market. We sold over 6,000 units last month, the highest retail sales for City. Jazz will boost our growth.

Some of your products have been hurt by the price hike?

Some products are not so competitive in the current scenario. Since the localisation of the City and Civic is high, the price of these cars have not been affected. However, we have changed our policy on our sports utility vehicle, CR-V. We will import CR-V on confirmed orders from dealers. We are currently working on a lean inventory. There will be some cut back on CBU imports.

Is Hero Honda integrated in Honda Motors India?

Not as yet. However, we are exploring the opportunity of integrating Hero Honda too. But we have synergies with other Honda companies such as the two-wheeler subsidiary Honda Motorcycle and Scooter, Honda Siel Car India and the power equipment company.

'Indian customers are smart buyers?- Interviews-Opinion-The Economic Times

Last edited by csnanjappa : 28th May 2009 at 09:33.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:15   #234
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people are saying that the Jazz looks like a shrunken Innova.

IMO, it also looks like a extended Zen Estilo which brings me to a complicated mathematical formula.

Jazz = Shrunken Innova.

Zen Estilo = More shrunken Innova. (A lot of us feel so)

Therefore, Jazz = bigger version of Zen Estilo.

Tata Nano = Shrunken Zen Estilo. (A lot of us feel so)

Therefore, Honda Jazz = XXL version of Tata Nano!
Old 28th May 2009, 11:45   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
What would be your strategy to ensure stable demand for the Jazz?

The market has changed due to the economic slowdown and the depreciation of the rupee. We are achieving above 70% of localisation. The components used in the Jazz are same as in the City. However, the Jazz will benefit from the lower excise duty allowed on small cars. Jazz will give the best fuel efficiency in that segment. We will target those customers who appreciate the drive. Indian customers are smart buyers and they appreciate the value given by Honda.
So Jazz is going to be sporty, with a very appreciable drive, and at the same time have a very good fuel efficiency and ofcourse even with 70% localization it will cost 8.5L on road. What a bag of contradictions. Indian customers must be surely "smart" to buy this car over something like a ford fiesta 1.6s!!
Old 28th May 2009, 12:06   #236
BHPian

i was recently getting my accord serviced at arya honda and a whole lot of service advisor s were missing from their desk s !! on enquiring i found out they had gone for jazz lesson s !! A launch of 14th june was mentioned amongs t them maybe i am late with this and everyone know s !! Being a little lazy by not going through previous post s just wanted to know is jazz gonna be launched with an A/T transmission ??
Old 28th May 2009, 12:16   #237
BHPian

When Honda first brought The city, the people said "WOW"
Then came the NHC, Civic, Hybrid, CR-V, Accord, AHNC, People said "WOW, WOW"
Now with This pricing of Jazz, People would say "Bohot Ho Gaya Abhi JAO"
Old 28th May 2009, 12:43   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
So Jazz is going to be sporty, with a very appreciable drive, and at the same time have a very good fuel efficiency and ofcourse even with 70% localization it will cost 8.5L on road. What a bag of contradictions. Indian customers must be surely "smart" to buy this car over something like a ford fiesta 1.6s!!
Except being pricey, I don't see any contradictions.

You think being sporty and fuel efficient is contradictory?
Old 28th May 2009, 12:53   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Except being pricey, I don't see any contradictions.

You think being sporty and fuel efficient is contradictory?
in the indian definition of "average kitna hai" YES - when someone says fuel efficient in india the expectations are too high for a sport hatch to meet. Also given that it is a 1.2 ltr engine, i guess it would be more fuel efficient than sporty!! And as far as other aspects of sporty, i dont see alloys or fat rubber for improved handling - the jazz shape seems like it has significant body roll - do u think at 8.5L it is as going to be as sporty as a fiesta 1.6S or have the handling characterisitcs of other vehicles like cedia?

Last edited by jassi : 28th May 2009 at 12:56.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:33   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
A lot of people are saying that the Jazz looks like a shrunken Innova.

IMO, it also looks like a extended Zen Estilo which brings me to a complicated mathematical formula.

Jazz = Shrunken Innova.

Zen Estilo = More shrunken Innova. (A lot of us feel so)

Therefore, Jazz = bigger version of Zen Estilo.

Tata Nano = Shrunken Zen Estilo. (A lot of us feel so)

Therefore, Honda Jazz = XXL version of Tata Nano!
Absolutely true.

All these cars look similar (the only difference is size(?)

So, Nano < Estilo < Jazz < Innova

IMO Jazz will not be much bigger than Estilo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks