Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 09:52   #301
BHPian

Totally agree on the logan ! All my airport transfers by easycab or meru were on logan and it is a pretty smooth , spacious ( large boot + rear space) and decently powered car. It looks awful though but next to a Dzire it does look like Angelina Jolie.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:08   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
It looks awful though but next to a Dzire it does look like Angelina Jolie.
I am quite confused by what you have said, you mean Angelina is quite ugly looking same like Logan?

Oh, I think what you meant was Dzire is the ugliest car in the world, the usual mantra among T BHPians.

Dzire is ugly & it is the worst car - chant this 3 times a day, you have become an 'auto enthusiast'.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:38   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
I am quite confused by what you have said, you mean Angelina is quite ugly looking same like Logan?

Oh, I think what you meant was Dzire is the ugliest car in the world, the usual mantra among T BHPians.

Dzire is ugly & it is the worst car - chant this 3 times a day, you have become an 'auto enthusiast'.
NO the actual fact is both the cars are quite Ugly, Now if someone wants to compare which is more ugly that doesnt make him an enthusiast. Regarding Logan am still confused as to why did they ever though people will buy such an ugly looking car for a price of premium car?. This should have been priced Below 3L for petrol and onwards, in India.

@MAXBHP you missed out the point tha ie PRICE, there is also a breed that will buy anything under the sun thats cheaper than the competition irrespective of any fault in it. Logan can still catch up with these people i feel. I also feel the car may be would have done much better if MAHINDRA word was always silent and ofcourse if it looked better.

P.S If I get a chance I want to do my left right and centre on the designer who desgined it. The designer is an insult to design community.
Old 11th October 2009, 15:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Dzire is the ugliest car in the world, the usual mantra among T BHPians.

Logan is not bad looking. It has average looks. The 'cheap car' image did them in. Also people tend to associate M&M with jeeps and tractors. Same like TATA was associated initially with trucks and other diesel vehicles. But TATA grew and learnt from their mistakes (arguable) and the sun has risen to the day where people can digest them as not so bad car makers.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th October 2009 at 15:09.
Old 11th October 2009, 15:06   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
@MAXBHP you missed out the point tha ie PRICE, there is also a breed that will buy anything under the sun thats cheaper than the competition irrespective of any fault in it. Logan can still catch up with these people i feel.
There are some qualities in this car, It is not all piece of crap. If you've driven this car or ever sat in one, you'll know. And please bear in mind, there are logan owners on this forum. Comments like these do not add any value to this thread.

Logan is ugly...I have been hearing this for the past two and a half years.
Ugly cars can be best sellers as well, the early Santro model and the Dzire are good examples. So, we can not blame the sales on just the 'ugly' factor. Lets.. for a change.. discuss the other reasons.
Old 11th October 2009, 16:14   #306
BHPian

It seems surprising that the DZire which is "considered" to be the ugliest car is also the highest selling ever since it was launched..personally , i don't think the Logan is that bad except the boxy rear. M&M and Renault should have done a better job of pushing the Logan.

Sure, it's no Gallardo or S-class, but it's comfortable, reasonably powered ,reliable, has good FE and is very consistent with whatever it offers the driver !
Old 11th October 2009, 17:58   #307
BHPian

I dont think ugliness (as per mass perception) has stopped any car from selling in India. Sumo, Qualis, Dzire, and so on...

Logan failed I think because Mahindra and / or Renault were arrogant. They were passing low class stuff as premium and pricing it to death. If they price low class as low class, it would fly off the showrooms. They thought Indians would buy anything phoren assuming it must be premium if it is not Indian. Those assumptions were true in the 50s and 60s but not any longer.

I am not using word low class in derogatory sense, it is just low end like there are in practically everything we buy starting from rice...to many that is good enough..
Old 11th October 2009, 18:12   #308
BHPian

Logan got hit so badly owing to its over-exposure to fleet operators. The recession caused these fleet operators to completely stop any new purchase, while individual customers stayed away from it since they didn't want to own a taxi-model. The taxi-model syndrome among Indian consumers is quite strong as most individual car purchase in India is ego/image driven rather than need driven.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:58   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Logan is ugly...I have been hearing this for the past two and a half years.
Ugly cars can be best sellers as well, the early Santro model and the Dzire are good examples. So, we can not blame the sales on just the 'ugly' factor. Lets.. for a change.. discuss the other reasons.
+1. I agree here. Not all ugly looks ugly in sales chart and all beautiful cars looks beautiful in sales chart.

As many have conveyed here, the main reason for its failure (or not been to the expectation of the M&M) is they themselves. They market it as a cheap car, then come and ask me min 6L on road. A cheap sedan is suppose to priced on par with Esteem, atleast in my opinion.

But I wonder, even after 2 times reducing the price, it did not pick up. Why? Is it fear of this Renault & M&M JVs fate? I don't think so.

One thing is true, our Indians did not want to select this car for some reason. If its known, then M&M (and any manufacture for that matter) would succeed a big time.
Old 11th October 2009, 22:18   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Logan got hit so badly owing to its over-exposure to fleet operators. The recession caused these fleet operators to completely stop any new purchase, while individual customers stayed away from it since they didn't want to own a taxi-model. The taxi-model syndrome among Indian consumers is quite strong as most individual car purchase in India is ego/image driven rather than need driven.
IF the product itself is good then its not a big deal. Innova and Xylo sell equally well to both fleet and private buyers.

Most Logan taxis are fairly well maintained premium cabs unlike the Padmini rust buckets.
Old 11th October 2009, 22:30   #311
Senior - BHPian

What we really need is this and not any stupid LEs like edge, play etc.I dare say that this looks better than Dzire. See for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_0c.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_0f.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_17.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_18.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_19.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_1d.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_1e.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-dacialogan_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_1f.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-gallery_img1.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-gallery_img3.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-gallery_img5.jpg  

Logging off Logan ! EDIT : Sales down 80%-gallery_img6.jpg  

Old 11th October 2009, 22:56   #312
Senior - BHPian

To add to the choir,

For the space and the 1.5 CRD engine (which taxiwallahs appreciate next only to qualis 2.4) i dont find it high priced except the boxy looks, cheap cost-cutting plastics, power window switch position etc.

Box is better looking than dough , but perceptions vary, is it not?

So Fiat Uno 1.7 has a successor in the logan 1.5. Good mileage, reliable, but didn't see the light.
Old 11th October 2009, 23:13   #313
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice that the mirror design is been changed on the NEW Logan which is in the market now? if maruti can advertise them as "new" why can't M&M?
Old 12th October 2009, 08:26   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
+ They market it as a cheap car, then come and ask me min 6L on road. A cheap sedan is suppose to priced on par with Esteem, atleast in my opinion.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
What we really need is this and not any stupid LEs like edge, play etc.I dare say that this looks better than Dzire. See for yourself.
Thanks for the visual comparo! Any doubts would now be cleared.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:42   #315
Senior - BHPian

@sid, the front grill - did they try to get some from ANHC?

But, it is really much better than the current. Will we get it? I doubt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks