Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 18:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

I drove 1500+ in 2 days, Not only me, the driver, my family felt they were not tired at all.
Being a tall guy, I was unable to accommodate myself in my previous Sedan and Hatch. I couldn't drive more than 400kms with them, and the nights when I drive usually became worse with Body and Toe pain.
Now I am confident to drive 1000 a day now, with my Scorpio.

BTW, I was banging Mahindra in some threads for not offering Airbags. But I had to settle with one couple of months without Airbags. Now I am bit disappointed that its coming now.

Is there a Way Mahindra can offer Airbags as an accessory - Is is practically possible?
Old 16th November 2009, 18:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

No, it can't be added aftermarket.

The Airbag thingy hurts bad. :(

Should have waited. :P
Old 17th November 2009, 08:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

My query regarding tires was not about general upsizing/changing rubber.

What I want to know is that in situations like the one I have outlined, how far would better/wider rubber help me?
yes, wider & better tyres will definitely help as they will provide more grip & give a more "planted" feel.
Old 17th November 2009, 09:41   #94
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i share a different experience. on straight roads, my innova is not stable above speeds of 130 kmph. it starts wallowing & does not feel confident. on the other hand, the scorpios feels a lot better with the 'planted to the ground' feeling & the car feels much more composed. lower tyre & engine noise in the scorpio could be a reason too.

but in bends, its a different story. the scorpio rolls a lot more than the innova & hence feels nowhere as surefooted.
Maybe better to compare the ride and stability experience with the Safari that leads in that aspect even over the 20L Ladder on chassis SUV's that we have.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, wider & better tyres will definitely help as they will provide more grip & give a more "planted" feel.
Arrey I am talking of situations when the road is covered with small gravel/sand and it just rolls under the car.

Am I able to convey the idea?
Old 17th November 2009, 12:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Maybe better to compare the ride and stability experience with the Safari that leads in that aspect even over the 20L Ladder on chassis SUV's that we have.
i feel innova's ride & stability is much superior to the safari.

and what is that "Safari that leads in that aspect even over the 20L Ladder on chassis SUV's that we have"???
you mean safari's ride & handling is better than the pajero? kidding?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th November 2009 at 12:43.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:13   #97
BHPian

Ride quality -does it mean the comfort, absence of or, minimsed shocks and vibrations, jerks, lack of rolling/ picthing etc- aided by the comfortable - cushioned, ergonomic wide seats, good view around, roominess, liveable etc? Then yes I feel - Safari and Scorpio are not too much different from each other. I feel Endy is also in the same price range ( 20Lakhs) - and I felt Endy is better in interiors & feel dept. and handles equally well or better than safari despite being long and with leaf springs, pulls better, has better steering response as compared to both Scorpio & Safari.

Have used Innovas only as Taxi between Delhi - Jullundhar & Del - Dehradun and back. Innova is better than both ( Scorpio & Safari) and has better interiors, comfort levels, silent, less NVH charateristics- but will I buy one? Naah- I dont like the looks.

Handling stakes, I feel, Scorpio handles better than Safari - may be I am biased in favour of Scorpio. But I still love Safari for its stance, looks, road presence better visibility and more comfy seats specially for the driver with lumbar support, leather, DVD player, ABS, EBD, Airbags etc. And if I have to drive, I ll pick up a Scorpio but if I am a passenger- Safari (top end) feels more planted, secured and simply luxurious.

Quote:
i feel innova's ride & stability is much superior to the safari.

and what is that "Safari that leads in that aspect even over the 20L Ladder on chassis SUV's that we have"???
you mean safari's ride & handling is better than the pajero? kidding?
Old 22nd November 2009, 22:34   #98
BHPian

OK. So when is the Scorpio AT going to get a tiptronic? Here are the photos of the US-version equipped with tiptronic. When will we see this in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio gets Airbags, Bluetooth and more-scorpious.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio gets Airbags, Bluetooth and more-phpthumb_generated_thumbnail.jpeg  

Old 25th November 2009, 14:50   #99
BHPian

As of today , M &M seems pretty secretive ( unsure) of how it is to be done what is to be done and when it is to be done. Ambiguity in their communication has led to many rumors and guesses among their dealers, potential customers and enthusiasts alike. May be we tend to get too restless too soon and the moment we find something interesting, we start digging deeper and then get frustrated when the speed of the company doesnt match with the speed of our imaginations and wishes.

The pic of the AT ( tiptronic scorpio) is looking good. What they have launched here is a 6 speed AT and currently busy with introducing a 4X4 AT. I dont think they would be keen on experimenting with the new AT box, if they wouldnt have already done it. Any more info on the tiptronic box ( how many gears / what speed - 4 , 5 or, 6 or CVT?)
Old 25th November 2009, 22:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
As of today , M &M seems pretty secretive ( unsure) of how it is to be done what is to be done and when it is to be done. Ambiguity in their communication has led to many rumors and guesses among their dealers, potential customers and enthusiasts alike. May be we tend to get too restless too soon and the moment we find something interesting, we start digging deeper and then get frustrated when the speed of the company doesnt match with the speed of our imaginations and wishes.

The pic of the AT ( tiptronic scorpio) is looking good. What they have launched here is a 6 speed AT and currently busy with introducing a 4X4 AT. I dont think they would be keen on experimenting with the new AT box, if they wouldnt have already done it. Any more info on the tiptronic box ( how many gears / what speed - 4 , 5 or, 6 or CVT?)
They have been advertising the US version as 6-speed as well as far as I know. Really don't know much more.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:23   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It is the same gearbox, but in the US version they are offering manual over-ride(i.e tiptronic). Most newer autos can have this feature at no added cost. Guess they maybe reluctant to offer it in India being scared of mis-use by ignorant drivers. For example if someone pops it into 3rd by mistake and is doing a couple of hours on the highway, it will heat up the tranny and destroy it.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is the same gearbox, but in the US version they are offering manual over-ride(i.e tiptronic). Most newer autos can have this feature at no added cost. Guess they maybe reluctant to offer it in India being scared of mis-use by ignorant drivers. For example if someone pops it into 3rd by mistake and is doing a couple of hours on the highway, it will heat up the tranny and destroy it.
4x4addict, you raise a very interesting point on inadvertently harming the transmission using the tiptronic. I have driven a car with a tiptronic but never really used it.

Since you seem to know more, is it really worth waiting for a tiptronic version? Where would you really see tiptronic making a difference? I am not too much of a "I need to feel like I am driving" guy. Would appreciate your opinion or for that matter anyone else on the board who would like to share an opinion.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:50   #103
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

tiptronic is a fancy gizmo that is actually rearly used. I have possibly used the tipronic on the Laura (which is suposed to be quite good) less than 0.5% of the time.

Would glady pay less for the not having the option. I adds a bit of potential for things to go wrong, especially with ignorant drivers.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:56   #104

I think they should add sunroof in their list as this is the only thing our Indian SUV is missing.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st December 2009 at 15:07. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid using external font editors and also use Preview before submitting posts. Thanks
Old 1st December 2009, 19:04   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
4x4addict, you raise a very interesting point on inadvertently harming the transmission using the tiptronic. I have driven a car with a tiptronic but never really used it.

Since you seem to know more, is it really worth waiting for a tiptronic version? Where would you really see tiptronic making a difference? I am not too much of a "I need to feel like I am driving" guy. Would appreciate your opinion or for that matter anyone else on the board who would like to share an opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
tiptronic is a fancy gizmo that is actually rearly used. I have possibly used the tipronic on the Laura (which is suposed to be quite good) less than 0.5% of the time.

Would glady pay less for the not having the option. I adds a bit of potential for things to go wrong, especially with ignorant drivers.
I agree with ACM. To me tiptronic is more marketing gizmo than anything else. I have tried to use it on my M-Class and a cousin's Infinity G35 but frankly it is either Automatic or Manual for me.

This is a feature I will rarely use. For overtaking maneuvers the Kick-Down feature of Automatics works fine for me. The only time I find it useful is in very hilly and curvy roads where you can make the automatic hold a gear but some of the better automatics including from Acura actually downshifts for you when you are slowing into a curve in a downhill. Not sure how the ECU figures out that a downshift is needed but I was impressed with the Acura's automatic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks