Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 14:10   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)

Now I Know what VW stands for. However it would be appropriate not to mention it here.

Here's a hilarious read about the messed up vibrator Ad. Take a look at this http://www.firstpost.com/business/vo...-2-451221.html
Old 11th September 2012, 14:20   #422
BHPian

Re: Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 sept (2011,2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Interestingly, the ad was with the Delhi Times supplement and not with the main paper.
Now I understand why I did not get any Delhi Times today. Atleast it could have kept my 2 yr old busy for few hours.
Probably need to my Newspaper vendor tomorrow morning.
Old 11th September 2012, 14:32   #423
BHPian

re: Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)

The fact that this "silly" vibrating thing got everyone up and discussing about VW says that VW's advertising has become a success.

Now you know what the Polo/vento offers.

Even those who never think beyond Suzuki (maruti to be more precise) will now know about VW
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 14:39   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
The fact that this "silly" vibrating thing got everyone up and discussing about VW says that VW's advertising has become a success.

Now you know what the Polo/vento offers.

Even those who never think beyond Suzuki (maruti to be more precise) will now know about VW
I kind of agree with you. VW probably got what they wanted out of this campaign in terms of getting some attention and more brand recall in the future. It got this discussion rolling on TBHP which is a good proof. Whether we like VW or otherwise, its got us talking.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:00   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Message was lost, at least to me. I went through the whole copy to figure out a relation between the ad and the thingamajig. It's only now that I read it here that I get it.

And it makes no sense.
Still, interesting point when I tell my acquaintances that, yeah funky and strange ads, but avoid it as a new car, considering the recent developments.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:07   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Now I Know what VW stands for. However it would be appropriate not to mention it here.
But it needs light to work....?
Old 11th September 2012, 15:07   #427
BHPian

The whole vibrating thing probably coveys a message, "Get ready for the shivers in you new car"...err..isn't that scary. New cars = shiver. Isn't that the domain of Skoda (not offense meant just out of jest)

Or may be ..get used to our 3-pot sound
Old 11th September 2012, 16:43   #428
Senior - BHPian

This is just my view only.

Volkswagen ad tag was "Feel the shiver of excitement" which is actually correct, as even I was excited to know the new updates in refreshed Polo and Vento compared to one I'm owning currently.

VW is the only company that I have seen which has come up with such ads. Does anyone remembers if any automobile company came up with "The talking ad", "Silver ad for Jetta" and now the "Shiver of excitement"?

Each and every company is different and each one of them has their merits and demerits. VW cars are very driver oriented cars and I enjoy it everytime I press the throttle of the 1.6 TDi engine.

A lot has been said about the NVH sound about these diesel, but none of the competitor offers anything which matches close to the prowess of 1.6 TDi. Off course a diesel is meant to be a bit louder compared to petrol.

When people bought them they knew about it and I don't think they should complain about it now.

Even GTO would agree with me that no other car in 10 lac rupee segment can beat VW Vento for a true enthusiast.

In 2014 with the new platform based Polo coming out, all the issues related to 3 pot cyl engine would be sorted with proper 4 cyl engines. Just hold on friends a bit more.

Some of us said why is VW offering piecemeal rather then integrating it all into the Head Unit. Simple reason it wont match the interior. I have seen a lot of HU but none come close to match the interior chrome look which goes with the car.

So that's why they put up another unit which is Garmin. To a normal customer he would think; see I have a HU and I also have another one for GPS and reverse camera and it works on 2.4GHz wireless range.

Edit: The best part if some say this ad didn't got someone attention, then why did this thread come alive at 7 am in the morning?

Just my 2p.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 11th September 2012 at 16:47.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:38   #429
BHPian

I think Volkswagen's ad agency messed up between a vibrant ad and a vibrating ad
Adit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 19:32   #430
BHPian

I feel VW has achieved to garner what it wanted through this ad...your attention! Hasn't it?
Btw I feel this attempt is similar to Toyota's attempt of 'waku-doki' experience, which in turn was similar to Hero Honda's 'Dhak Dhak'..
Old 11th September 2012, 20:21   #431
Senior - BHPian

To think of it, instead of bombarding all of India with this ad and generating so much e-waste, they should instead give 5000 off to each actual buyer and spare the environment. Silly publicity hungry company.

I won't be driven one more iota to buy their cars when i retire the swift next year because of such silly ads.

Ads like amul achieve their purpose without a paisa in gimmick. Now THAT's advertising. This is just throwing away money.
phamilyman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 20:21   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Cant keep this to myself but we Guys in my College had a gala time today thanks to this vibrating contraption. Rather than the Ad, most of them were interested in making use of what was offered to them! It served many purposes in college today!
  • It was used to offer handshakes, which turned out to be shockers!
  • It was placed on unsuspecting people, who reacted loudly.
  • It was placed on the table, and you can imagine what the sound would be like.
  • Last but not the least, the nerds had something that they could rip open and study. Yet they couldn't figure out what the vibrating thingy was! Some people like me concluded that it was a motor based thing we find in mobiles. The much intelligent ones claimed it to be a crystal oscillator

And no, we weren't caught or the device was not confiscated by any professor! Else I wonder what the reaction would have been like!

Last edited by audioholic : 11th September 2012 at 20:23.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 20:59   #433
Team-BHP Support

Think of the environmental impact of disposing these devices
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 21:55   #434
BHPian

Dont know if anyone was watching VW India's tweets today. They had tweeted a bad joke about the ad.

Of course they deleted it quickly as soon as they realized it would be a media disaster. My friend managed to take a screenshot of the tweet. See it for yourself!

Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)-image.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 11th September 2012 at 21:57.
nileshch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 22:41   #435
BHPian

Re: Times of India? Nope, VW of India. EDIT: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012 (Pg 26)

I don't think any message was conveyed using that silly vibrator or didn't i understand it? Think of the number of batteries that was used for this useless AD and the impact that will have in the environment.... but i liked the other pages where they explained about the technology, paint quality, panel gap etc... they should have stopped at that.

Thanks, Prakash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks