Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2006, 23:35   #76
BHPian

guys, with the new scorpio on the block, how do you see revamped one when compared with the old foes innova, safari and tavera????
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

What's with the scorpio and team-bhpians,Of late hear of people going in for the innova and the safari but not quite the same interest with regards to the scorpio.Hardly any mention of Mahindra scorpio's now on team-bhp.

What's happened?

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 22nd April 2007 at 01:01.
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

I will put it like this
Innova for pure funtionaility
Safari for the pure status on the road
Scorpio for toppling over (yes my cousin manage to topple his new scorpio few months ago)

can somebody please shead light on why scorpio topple so offen

Last edited by manikjeet : 22nd April 2007 at 01:04.
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
I will put it like this
Innova for pure funtionaility
Safari for the pure status on the road
Scorpio for toppling over (yes my cousin manage to topple his new scorpio few months ago)

can somebody please shead light on why scorpio topple so offen
Quite simply moronic drivers who think they can handle it like a car and push it hard when cornering etc.

The Safari was actually rated worse in terms of handling (cone test) than even the old Scorpio. So looks like the Scorpio toppling thing is just a myth or just simple exageration.

Most SUVs can be toppled by a stupid driver even high end models such a the Range Rover, Landcruiser etc etc.

The site below makes interesting reading
Howstuffworks "Rollover Accidents Explained"

SUV rollover is quite big business for lawyers in the USA just take a peep at the following site :
SUV ROLLOVER- Information and News on SUV Rollovers
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The Safari was actually rated worse in terms of handling (cone test) than even the old Scorpio.
Can you please give us a link? I want to see some more details...
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:38   #81
Team-BHP Support

Su thats true, safari posted slightly slower times than new scorpio, but that was due to lack of acceleration, on handling front the new scorpio left a lot to be desired in the magazine test.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Su thats true, safari posted slightly slower times than new scorpio, but that was due to lack of acceleration, on handling front the new scorpio left a lot to be desired in the magazine test.
Still beat the Safari in the cone test.
Even the old Scorpio managed to score better than the Safari.

Su it was a while back in one of the Indian automags.
Old 24th April 2007, 00:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite simply moronic drivers who think they can handle it like a car and push it hard when cornering etc.
the moronic driver has attended many track day in the us of a and he is one of the best driver i have ever seen

and i have heard to many time about a scorpio toppling but never heard about a safari
Old 24th April 2007, 01:19   #84
BHPian

maybe because the safari could never pick up enough speed to topple over

*puts on flamesuit*
Old 24th April 2007, 01:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Well being unbiased i have seen both Safari and Scorpio accidents. In both the accidents the SUV's hit the divider on the road @60 - 70 KMPH. The Safari had a damaged right axle, front wheel, right fender and what not from right and all the people were safe and sound.

While Scorpio in same type of accident toppled but the person came out without a scratch (impressed). Just minor concussion in the neck.

So in my real life experience of seeing both the cars having accident at the same point at almost same speed i think Safari is better than Scorpio in this term.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
the moronic driver has attended many track day in the us of a and he is one of the best driver i have ever seen

and i have heard to many time about a scorpio toppling but never heard about a safari
Classic cheap deal. Yes the old Safari diesel was rather slow off the mark. Not really tried a Dicor as all the Safari owners I knew have not bothered buying another Safari.

Manikjeet,

Even rally drivers have been known to topple cars. Whether you attend track days is irrelevant. If you are going to push a SUV type vehicle to its limits then regardless of how good a driver you are, you will one day topple the vehicle. For this you will have no one else to blame but your own moronic driving style.
Old 24th April 2007, 02:16   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Even rally drivers have been known to topple cars. Whether you attend track days is irrelevant. If you are going to push a SUV type vehicle to its limits then regardless of how good a driver you are, you will one day topple the vehicle. For this you will have no one else to blame but your own moronic driving style.
I don't know why people are comparing Safari with the Scorpio. There is actually no contest. Scorpio can't match Safari's road presence any day of the week and the interior comfort is miles apart too. I wouldn't compare the two. My not so humble opinion of course and your mileage may vary.

If one really were to compare the toppling dynamics, its easy to see why a Scorpio will topple easier than a Safari. Safari is heavier for almost the same ground clearance, so its likely that the centre of gravity is lower on the Safari.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are going to push a SUV type vehicle to its limits then regardless of how good a driver you are, you will one day topple the vehicle. For this you will have no one else to blame but your own moronic driving style.
I kinda agree with you. But I cannot figure out the relevance of the Slalom test for overall stability of a vehicle .....how does snaking through 7 cones placed at 100 feet indicate stability? Maneuverability - Yes and I think its widely acknowledged that the Scorpio is easier to drive in traffic and within the city (I don't have problems with the Safari either but the number of women I see driving the Scorpio indicates that its an easy handler).

Stability - Huge question mark from what I've heard & widely read. I can vouch for the Safari holding on to the road like its glued on, the higher the speed......no first hand experience about the Scorpio. But if someone says the Safari is unstable, they don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

On a lighter note, I think what we're saying is that if the same moron drove the Safari & Scorpio in the same moronic & dangerous way, chances are the Safari would not topple..........
Old 24th April 2007, 11:13   #89
HSV
BHPian

I don't have first hand experience on either. However based on hear-say I have heard about Safari's toppling too.

Actually I own an Indigo LX. One of the mechanics at the workshop I take my car too was casually mentioning that the last time he'd gone for training he had come across as many as 12 safaris which had toppled over. On prodding further he mentioned that it was quite a common happening with Safaris.

Come to think of it it does look more higher than wider - so it would seem to have a higher centre of gravity - making it more vulnerable at jerky turns.

Your comments...

regards,
Old 24th April 2007, 11:29   #90
jp1
BHPian

Why scorpio topple more compared to safari, in my opinion
- there are many more scorpios on the road than the Safari, hence more accidents of scorpios
- scorpio accelaration is much faster than safari (not the dicor), hence sudden turns with hard braking can topple the vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks